1 week away, some final offseason thoughts

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
I have narrowed my choices for 26 to .........Robinson or Gibbs, Mayer, or the highest T/G on their board. Starting to believe Gibbs could be the player they are hiding.
You can find starting RBs in the 5th round nowadays. Please God don't waste #26 on that position. We need OL or IDL with one or two of our top picks. OL is starting to look shaky. Games are still won in the trenches.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Agree with pretty much everything. If Mike is going to incorporate a little more of his GB O it means more 11 personnel with 3+ WR sets. WR early makes sense in that scenario plus I’m hoping we can get out of MGs contract ASAP.

Outside of that it looks like we’re looking at a bit of everything and ideally just take the best talent that falls. CB, OT, DE and WILL LBr all appear to be positions they’re going to be eyeing early in the draft and just taking the best player that falls.

Avila is the only top 30 visitor so I don’t see G early and also hope we don’t go that route at 26 as there isn’t a 1st round G.
On the NFL Network a couple of days ago, when talking about TE in round 1, Jane Slater said that someone with the organization told her that McCarthy likes 12 and 13 personnel a lot more than Kellen Moore did and that they expect a lot more of the 12 & 13 sets with Mike calling plays.

We won’t know for sure until we see it… but all indications are that they’ll be using those tight end formations more than they have in recent seasons.

Jane was saying that the option of TE in the first round is a real option.

With the team having (and liking) the trio of Lamb, Cooks and Gallup, they might feel like a TE1 is needed more than a WR. If they have Kincaid or Mayer rated as highly or higher than the WR, I wouldn’t be surprised with the choice of a TE at 26.

cnuball21

Reaction score
On the NFL Network a couple of days ago, when talking about TE in round 1, Jane Slater said that someone with the organization told her that McCarthy likes 12 and 13 personnel a lot more than Kellen Moore did and that they expect a lot more of the 12 & 13 sets with Mike calling plays.

We won’t know for sure until we see it… but all indications are that they’ll be using those tight end formations more than they have in recent seasons.

Jane was saying that the option of TE in the first round is a real option.

With the team having (and liking) the trio of Lamb, Cooks and Gallup, they might feel like a TE1 is needed more than a WR. If they have Kincaid or Mayer rated as highly or higher than the WR, I wouldn’t be surprised with the choice of a TE at 26.
I actually read the complete opposite when looking up info on Mikes Os in GB. It would make more sense given the amount of attention we’re giving to WRs in the draft after acquiring Cooks.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I actually read the complete opposite when looking up info on Mikes Os in GB. It would make more sense given the amount of attention we’re giving to WRs in the draft after acquiring Cooks.
Well, that’s what Slater said, so someone with the Cowboys told her that recently. It would seem like that would apply more to the current Cowboys offense this season than what McCarthy did a few years ago in Green Bay.

I think they might be looking at guys like Hyatt in case they slide into the second round… not necessarily because they’re anticipating using 26 on one of them. IMO, it is possible that they just like to be prepared in case someone slides into 2 like Diggs did.

But I think Dallas could draft WR at 26 so who knows? It could be TE as well. We’re not going to know until it happens.

I’m just telling you what was said by a Cowboys insider that is in that building every day.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Well, that’s what Slater said, so someone with the Cowboys told her that recently. It would seem like that would apply more to the current Cowboys offense this season than what McCarthy did a few years ago in Green Bay.

I think they might be looking at guys like Hyatt in case they slide into the second round… not necessarily because they’re anticipating using 26 on one of them. IMO, it is possible that they just like to be prepared in case someone slides into 2 like Diggs did.

But I think Dallas could draft WR at 26 so who knows? It could be TE as well. We’re not going to know until it happens.

I’m just telling you what was said by a Cowboys insider that is in that building every day.
That’s fair i’m just basing it off what MM in did in GB. I also think it makes more sense for our current personnel and having TO as our lead back…creates a little more space.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I have narrowed my choices for 26 to .........Robinson or Gibbs, Mayer, or the highest T/G on their board. Starting to believe Gibbs could be the player they are hiding.
I’m like this except I don’t want Mayer because I don’t see the value in picking a guy like this with our first pick. Just doesn’t move the needle for me.

Mayer looks like a 2nd round player to me that’s going in round 1 because of college production and when reality is he’s just a solid player that might be a complete jag as a pro or between the 7-12th best TE at best.

McDonald and Forbes I like as well.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Pollard was rated the 2nd best pass blocking RB in the league last season. Granted, he had about 15-25 less snaps than a few guys like Barkley, but he is solid.

Ronald Jones is the terrible one in pass pro
Pollard being a bad pass blocker was just a narrative to keep Zeke on the field.

Pollard misses 3 or 4 blocks a season and is labeled terrible at something he’s at worst average at.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Dak and the offense plays better with 12 personnel. If they draft Washington you put him on the left side with Tyron and Tyler. Line up Ferguson with Martin and Steele on the right, teams won’t know what we are doing. Look what we were doing in 2021 offensively with Shultz and Jarwin. Washington and Ferguson are the more talented players. Hendershot as the 3rd tight end, the offense would be more efficient. Dak looked like an MVP before Jarwin went down.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That’s fair i’m just basing it off what MM in did in GB. I also think it makes more sense for our current personnel and having TO as our lead back…creates a little more space.
Maybe so.

I do know that McCathy is dead set on getting the running game and play-action going, which conventional wisdom says TE formations could have a lot to do with that. It is a big part of the Offense that Schottenheimer will want to run.

I don’t know man… but I am 100% ready to just find out who it is going to be. Just one more week and then we will have a better idea of what they want to do on offense.

Unless the pick is Forbes, lol.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Pollard was rated the 2nd best pass blocking RB in the league last season. Granted, he had about 15-25 less snaps than a few guys like Barkley, but he is solid.

Ronald Jones is the terrible one in pass pro
Pollard being a bad pass blocker was just a narrative to keep Zeke on the field.

Pollard misses 3 or 4 blocks a season and is labeled terrible at something he’s at worst average at.
Yeah, Pollard isn’t bad at protection. He isn’t great but he’s plenty good enough.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
My question to you is, which 1st rd graded player can realistically be there at 26? Will we be wiped out at the time of our selection? I am expecting at least 1TE to receive a 1st rd grade, will the likes of McDonald/Forbes also receive one? To answer your question, think they take the best player available on their board regardless of the position.
The reason for the question is that last year Machoda stated we had Cine higher than Tyler, so we must have used other criteria than BPA when making the pick. The very fact that we had 1st Rd Grades on both Cine and Tyler seems an indication that we have a different evaluation method to most, which could bring out a surprise when we pick.

Then again ive no idea how they grade players: physical attributes, ability, potential, scheme fit, production?? Whichever methodology we use, I agree I dont see this draft as being loaded in 1st Rd Grades, so it's pick your poison

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You don’t think this an all in season? If the Cowboys don’t reach the Super Bowl I think the Joneses will move on from MM. The Cowboys got rid of Kellen for him. That is like if the Cowboys got rid of Garrett for Phillips. In a way they can also have a semi rebuilding season in 2024 with all the free agents they will have. Dak is about to be 30 and big extensions are due for Parsons, Diggs and CeeDee. The NFC is wide open. The Cowboys are not scared of the Eagles and the 49ers are weak at quarterback. Less pressure from the national media as well. This is the year.
No, I don’t believe they will view the season as all in. If MM fails, they already have their hc in place with Quinn.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
From here on out it is lying season, don't trust anything you hear over this next week as teams will start to send out misinformation to hide their true interests. Like everyone else, I have draft fatigue and am ready to see our picks. I will be posting my final mock tomorrow, but here are some of thoughts about the offseason:

-The Cowboys did everything to keep the defense intact, from their DC, resigning every in house fa. However, they have made major changes on the other side of the football in letting four starters walk or released and changing their OC and OL coach. Reading the tea leaves, we should expect an offensive heavy draft.

-I am tending to believe that Solari is going to want our best 5 Offensive Lineman to start and definitely have Tyron in the starting lineup. How long can Tyron Smith hold up, what is the contingency plan when he goes down? I have heard they want to be better prepared when Martin starts to show his age. They do have some in house options to spot start if needed. I'm thinking more of a developmental prospect then a day 1 starter at least for this yr.

-With all the receivers and TE's linked to the Cowboys, it appears that it is an priority to add 1 more additional receiving weapon. I am expecting a high pick to address this area and could even be at 26.

-What is their plan at RB? This franchise has always valued this position with elite talent. We all shouldn't be surprised if they take one in any high rd this yr. Believe they want to add more of a power, bell cow type and keep Pollard more as a multi-facet weapon.

-Will they finally address the NT need with a high selection? I need to see it to believe it, especially after they were able to retain Hankins. When you look at the issues with their run defense, the outside stretch runs gave them more problems then up the middle, perhaps adding a 4i will have am impact. Lacy was in Dane's final mock in the 4th rd.

-CB/Edge/Safety are all 2024 priorities but it would be smart to start developing future starters. We have discussed all the fa's next offseason and it is downright scary as our defense could potentially look very different.
Nice post

I would be fine with Gibbs early if they commit to having both he and Pollard on the field at the same time. As primarily a rotational back, I’m out. I would like to think if they drafted him, they have plans to get them both on the field.

I could also see the logic for OL, TE, CB, Edge, & WR.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The reason for the question is that last year Machoda stated we had Cine higher than Tyler, so we must have used other criteria than BPA when making the pick. The very fact that we had 1st Rd Grades on both Cine and Tyler seems an indication that we have a different evaluation method to most, which could bring out a surprise when we pick.

Then again ive no idea how they grade players: physical attributes, ability, potential, scheme fit, production?? Whichever methodology we use, I agree I dont see this draft as being loaded in 1st Rd Grades, so it's pick your poison
Clearly LT is a far more valued position then a strong safety. I agree, why window dress your board if you are going to take the lesser player, just have Tyler rated higher.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Maybe so.

I do know that McCathy is dead set on getting the running game and play-action going, which conventional wisdom says TE formations could have a lot to do with that. It is a big part of the Offense that Schottenheimer will want to run.

I don’t know man… but I am 100% ready to just find out who it is going to be. Just one more week and then we will have a better idea of what they want to do on offense.

Unless the pick is Forbes, lol.
I can’t find anything highlighting percentages for all of last year but I did seen an article indicating against MN we ran 11 personnel over 50% of the time and 12 personnel about 30 percent of the time.

I’d argue that was one of our most efficient and effective offensive performances of the year…on the road to boot.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They don't include position value or need in the draft board. They consider those issues on draft day.

They'll have QBs in the top 30 on their board but won't draft one in the 1st.