10 best route runners in NFL

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Pretty good list although I’d put Coop first.

His route running is absolutely elite. Among the best I’ve ever witnessed.

Diggs is good too though, not throwing shade his way... it’s just that Amari’s routes are rare.
Agreed. I'm looking forward to seeing Cobb out there with him. Cobb is still a threat. Makes it that much harder to double Coop...which all opens up running lanes for Zeke. Bring on the season! :D

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
No surprise Coop ranked #2. We saw moves last season left you shaking your head......

I say my dog is the best route runner I've ever seen! She head fakes around trees, works through traffic, stops on a dime and cuts around bushes, locates the ball in the air, twists in mid air a la Dez and 90 % of the time comes down with the ball. She would run rings around Coop.... on short bursts. She would be five steps ahead before he could adjust his jock strap. Now if could just teach her an endzone dance :laugh:

HungryLion

Reaction score
Cooper is explosive. Dez is slow in comparison.

There’s a difference between explosiveness and lateral agility.

Explosiveness shows itself in different ways.

Dez’ ability to jump as high as he could, is because he was explosive.

Dez wasn’t as quick or agile as Cooper. But when I say explosiveness, I’m talking about his ability to jump and accelerate down the field once he plants his feet. Which Dez absolutely was able to do at an extremely high level, early in his career.

Cooper has quicker feet, is more agile, has smoother hips, etc, than Dez ever did. Cooper can change direction much better than Dez ever could.

Last edited:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Route running is as much mental as it is physical. Understanding the nuances. Understanding your opponent.

You have to be part con man and part poker player. It's an attitude that some have and some don't.

Gavin Escobar is an example of someone who had the athletic ability but not the attitude.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
For real. Not to mention dak had provably the best stretch of his career once coop arrived

Exactly, and now he'll have Cooper for an entire training camp, along with another year of Gallup, and he'll have the addition of Cobb. Let's let Dak be. I think he'll be fine. I think Cooper will be the top WR in the league this year.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Every single year going into the season we wondered if he was going to get better with his route running so we could use him all of the field so it was not so easy to double him. He never did get better so not surprising when he fell off. Love Dez like a step-cousin but it is what it is and fans saw it coming.

This is true. I remember on the old forums how often Dez's route running was questioned. It's refreshing to have someone like Cooper who is as refined at route running as he is.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Physical talent makes a difference. Just enough to get you into the NFL.

To be great you have to have mental ability to work your craft like a scientist. Not everyone is a true scientist at their positions, and the talent required to be good.

Route running is not only about the physical skills, speed, flexibility, agility ad explosiveness, but is also about subtle things that fans typically don't know until you have to run the drills a 1000 times yourself.

The biggest difference in route running that an NFL player has over even the most physically talented fan is the balance. They lay within what I call their circle of balance. The best sport for this is soccer where the majority of the play is based on one on one match ups. Soccer players are trained to work you and your balance where you "wrong foot" yourself, and take yourself out of the play.

That is the talent you see displayed in the short video. If you want to be a master at wrong footing an opponent, then you have to be a scientist at the craft.

There was no way Dez Bryant was ever going to be that. He is no scientist, and his ability was limited to what he could accomplish physically. He never brought his mind to the game so when his body failed him in competing physically he had nothing of value to bring to the NFL field.

For any NFL player father time will always beat you physically. What a player needs to invest in right away from day one is the work ethic to expand your ability beyond the physical. Not everyone is born a Bo jackson of their draft group. Most have to work their ***** off, and bring a higher mental capacity to make the ProBowls and the HoF.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Manufactured stars... about all it is now. Just sounds like someone rolled out of bed, and is too lazy to speak... but somehow gets it out. Just sounds so lazy, lol.

Zero talent. Copycat nonsense. Music is dead.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's the age gap. Your parents prolly said the same thing about your music

Yah I get that. And I hated a lot of the music that was current in my day. But there is simply no talent or creativity today.

Computer band talking about money, chicks, and getting stoned.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There’s a difference between explosiveness and lateral agility.

Explosiveness shows itself in different ways.

Dez’ ability to jump as high as he could, is because he was explosive.

Dez wasn’t as quick or agile as Cooper. But when I say explosiveness, I’m talking about his ability to jump and accelerate down the field once he plants his feet. Which Dez absolutely was able to do at an extremely high level, early in his career.

Cooper has quicker feet, is more agile, has smoother hips, etc, than Dez ever did. Cooper can change direction much better than Dez ever could.

Yah, you can haggle over meanings. Dez was slow, a poor route runner, mental midget. Copper is fast, explosive, top route runner, model teammate. Makes the qb’s job easier. Takes the top off the defense. Dez was no student of the game. I’ll take cooper all day, every day.