10 best route runners in NFL

RoboQB

Reaction score
I’ve never understood the science of route running. It seems to be a technique that is 100% teachable. Why are some WRs so much better than others? Is it lack of effort? Why was Dez considered average at best at route running despite being a freakish athlete.

It's all hips and footwork. Some guys just naturally cut better than others.
Coaching will only go so far. Natural ability is the main ingredient.

Dez was all about being physical. He never ran clean routes but he was so
strong he used that to his advantage. A great 50/50 ball WR.

Cooper is a beautiful combination of strength and precise route running.
He should get 10 targets a game.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yah, you can haggle over meanings. Dez was slow, a poor route runner, mental midget. Copper is fast, explosive, top route runner, model teammate. Makes the qb’s job easier. Takes the top off the defense. Dez was no student of the game. I’ll take cooper all day, every day.

I’m not the one haggling over meanings. You were the one who questioned it.

I also at no point stated I would take Dez over Cooper.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Part of it's technique, part of it's athletic ability. You need to have flexibility especially in your hips and ankles to cut hard and really break well, and that can't be taught.

These spider charts sum up the differences athletically pretty well. Cooper is fast and has great agility scores for his size (it's harder for tall players to cut as quickly as shorter ones). Dez was pretty stiff, but was huge and had unreal lower-body explosion that gave him his hops and some absolutely sick plant-and-go ability when he wanted to turn upfield for YAC.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/amari-cooper
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/dez-bryant

The technique can be taught, but aside from differences in work ethic, it takes years to drill it down into muscle memory where you can do it without conscious effort. When you are gassed in the 4th, running a hurry-up two minute drill, and you see the QB throw the ball your way, you're not going to be thinking about your footwork drills.

Dez came out of a college Air Raid and had never really mastered the fundamentals by the time he left school. Coop went to Saban's NFL factory where they annually kick out players at all positions with military-grade technique (seriously - read the scouting reports this year. Jonah WIlliams? Great technique. Big Q? Great technique. Irv Smith? Great technique.), and he was no exception. So Coop came out with at least a 3 year head start on Dez technically.

It also comes down to a guy's mentality. Dez was always immature, but he was a freaking dawg when it came time to go up for a jump ball or bull a DB over for a first down. Coop doesn't have that same kind of fight in him, but I'll bet you $100 that he takes a lot better to coaching too.
Very nice post man. Thanks for digging up those spider charts. You can see from them that Cooper and Bryant are pretty much polar opposites with their game.

Amari is all speed and change of direction while Dez is all size and strength.

Those charts don’t show maturity and smarts and IMO, that’s where the two differ the most.

Thanks again.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
Lol this list is ridiculous. How can Julio Jones not be on there???? Hes at the very least top 5, dude is just so talented in every way that people overlook his route running.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Coop does establish a true number 1 for Dak, its a starting point.

Gallup I believe can step up and hold that WR2 position.

If this franchise is truly moving forward and investing in Dak, than its vital that Gallup steps up and solidifies the other option on the 2nd read for Dak, and if that doesn't happen, this passing game will be futile this year.

This team, this roster, this season .. Dak needs a 3rd option, security blanket type of RB/WR.. Tarik Cohen type of security blanket, 3rd look check down,, that this staff has never recognized, so I really don't think they will provide Dak that luxury, but we will see after the draft.

I pray they prove me wrong, and draft that player,, maybe Cobb helps,, IDK,, he is a dart throw at the problem that continually is misunderstood.

TW would ruin this equation.

I don't see this team needing another RB who can catch the ball, out of the backfield. They have one now and they don't use him for that. If this team needs anything, it's another back who can carry the load IMO.

conner01

Reaction score
Gallup can learn from cooper but he’s pretty good for a rookie on double moves
Cooper is gonna break someone’s ankles