10 DL- Name em

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Collin and Lawrence play the majority of the snaps and none of the others play more than 50%

haven't looked at last years numbers ... just a feeling, about JJ

do you think they'll cut Tyrone?
I dunno, renegotiate prob, but a trade is maybe as likely

A typical game from last season.

This one was with Crawford at DE and Taco didn't play.

DT
65% .... Woods
65% .... Collins
45% .... Ross
25% .... Reid

DE
70% .... DLaw
65% .... Crawford
40% .... Gregory
25% .... Armstrong

pgreptom

Reaction score
1. Tank
2. Quinn
3. Taco
4. Armstrong
5. Crawford
6. Woods
7. Collins
8. Covington
9. Hill
10. Hyder

Hoping to get Jackson, Jelks and Wise to the PS

I think they trade someone before the deadline. You can't pinch these numbers any other way. They really like Armstrong but he has little value. I could see them moving Taco, Hyder or Crawford to be honest.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I hear you, but we are talkin' about a JJ decision - I can't figure him at
DAL hasn't cut anyone for cap savings in a long while and this isn't a JJ call.
It's Garrett/McClay.
The team trusts Crawford and will keep him I am almost 100% certain unless he were injured badly facing mostly air in what pemains of the pre-season.

Contract costs for the guyswe haven;t aren;t goign up by crazy amounts for another season or 2 as with Jaylon.
TCraw is on his deal for 2 more years. If anything they'd extend him and lower his cap hit but most likely will play it out straight and move on in 2 seasons.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Could see this translate to:

DT
65% .... Woods
65% .... Collins
45% .... Ross --Covington
25% .... Reid --Hill

DE
70% .... DLaw
65% .... Crawford -- after 2 games Quinn
40% .... Gregory -- Taco -- after 2 games Crawford
25% .... Armstrong -- after 2 games Taco

DL swing: Hyder. As a 16 game plan you need another poor man's Crawford which is what Hyder is. Can steal reps inside if anyone is injured and also play outside if someone got hurt or hacked off Rod with poor effort in game.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
1. Tank
2. Quinn
3. Taco
4. Armstrong
5. Crawford
6. Woods
7. Collins
8. Covington
9. Hill
10. Hyder

Hoping to get Jackson, Jelks and Wise to the PS

This is why a Taco trade makes sense. Taco makes many other rosters better.

But here we are choosing between Taco with two years of a high(ish) salary before his 5th year option(if we pick it up. Or Jackson who has already shown flashes at a 5th round salary for the next four years, and whatever trade compensation we get back for Taco.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking too. None of them have distinguished themselves enough for a spot on the 53.
Another is safety

Woods
Wilson
Heath
Would need to carry one more, but that 5th safety would undoubteably be a far worse player than the DL, LB, or OL we cut.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could see this translate to:

DT
65% .... Woods
65% .... Collins
45% .... Ross --Covington
25% .... Reid --Hill

DE
70% .... DLaw
65% .... Crawford -- after 2 games Quinn
40% .... Gregory -- Taco -- after 2 games Crawford
25% .... Armstrong -- after 2 games Taco

DL swing: Hyder. As a 16 game plan you need another poor man's Crawford which is what Hyder is. Can steal reps inside if anyone is injured and also play outside if someone got hurt or hacked off Rod with poor effort in game.
I agree early in the season it will look similar to your breakdown.

The big question for me is Crawford. I know Marinelli loves him, but it would likely make Stephen Jones nauseous to pay a Non-Starter 7M for the season.

Crawford has been a full time starter the past 5 seasons which made his salary OK, but if Quinn projects to start as RDE then Crawford will be a rotational DE, not a starter.

Hyder is a DE/DT type player that can replace some of what Crawford has done as a DE/DT hybrid.

From my observations, it seems that between Crawford/Hyder:
- Hyder appears to have more pass rush ability at DE.
- Crawford likely has better ability to hold up against the run at DT than Hyder.

As an inactive backup injury replacement option, Joe Jackson has played a few snaps as a pass rushing DT, as well as his normal DE position.

Without Crawford, by mid-season, it could look like this:

DT
65% .... Woods
65% .... Collins
40% .... Hill
30% .... Covington

DE
70% .... DLaw
65% .... Quinn
40% .... Taco or Hyder or Armstrong
25% .... Taco or Hyder or Armstrong

They've been using Hyder at DT in pass rush situations (3rd & long) in the preseason games.
- It would be good to have the extra player in addition to Covington for some snaps at 3-tech DT while Hill is developing.

If Crawford stays, then 2 of Hyder/Taco/Armstrong are on the bench.

I do not think it's a good idea to have Taco as an inactive player.
- He is finally showing the required effort/motivation the coaches demanded after benching him last season.
- I don't think he has the mental makeup to handle being inactive now that he has done what the coaches have asked of him.
- They would be better off trading him than making him an inactive backup, IMO.

They did have 9 DL active for at least 1 game last season, but they've used 8 for the vast majority of games since switching back to the 4-3.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why a Taco trade makes sense. Taco makes many other rosters better.

But here we are choosing between Taco with two years of a high(ish) salary before his 5th year option(if we pick it up. Or Jackson who has already shown flashes at a 5th round salary for the next four years, and whatever trade compensation we get back for Taco.
All 1st round picks in the Jerry era have stayed on the team at least 3 seasons & most have stayed at least 4 seasons.

Even Shante Carver and Bobby Carpenter stayed for 4 seasons.

The Cowboys are being managed better now than at any time since Jimmy departed, but it would go against their history to trade or cut a 1st round pick before his 3rd season.

I do wonder what they could get in a trade. He might be best as a 3-4 DE.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Morgan-Freeman-Saying-Good-Luck-The-Dark-Knight.gif
Cut Crawford

quickccc

Reaction score

This one was with Crawford at DE and Taco didn't play.

DT
65% .... Woods
65% .... Collins
45% .... Ross
25% .... Reid

DE
70% .... DLaw
65% .... Crawford
40% .... Gregory
25% .... Armstrong

I've totally forgot about DT Daniel Ross.
Mostly because I haven't heard any raves or impression reports about him in camp, and I've not noticed him in the preseason.

I still don't even consider him making the 53 roster team among the DL unit. But I could wrong as i'm not sure if Hill can play the 1 tech at this stage, and what if
Woods or Covington get hurt too ?
5 DTs spots may seem excessive number- but at season's end, we had several DTs that were dinged up pretty good going into vs Rams in the playoffs.
And that certainly didn't help matters vs the run.

I've heard different reports and hear says on Ross per playoffs, one report had Ross as hurt and made game inactive.. and one post (on this board) declaring that Ross was benched per coaching decision (first/only time I heard that one)

I still him as JAG- rotation type, but obviously the Cowboys like him and his role enough to bring him back for a his restricted year contract.
And I think he's more of a 1 tech., and with the addition of rookie Trysten Hill and FA vet Chris Covington, I have to wonder how many backup rotation roles the Cowboys are willing to
to commit to. I think it's gonna be a real tough task for Ross to make the 53 this time around, but I get this feeling that the Cowboys want a sea wave of available DL newcomers and
relief rotation guys than the usual number in the past.
I can see a number as many as 11 guys at DL unit on this 53 roster.

quickccc

Reaction score
All 1st round picks in the Jerry era have stayed on the team at least 3 seasons & most have stayed at least 4 seasons.

Even Shante Carver and Bobby Carpenter stayed for 4 seasons.

The Cowboys are being managed better now than at any time since Jimmy departed, but it would go against their history to trade or cut a 1st round pick before his 3rd season.

I do wonder what they could get in a trade. He might be best as a 3-4 DE.

- but vs the 90's Shante Carver/Carpenter- Jerry led era, there seems to be more signs of changing of the guard with management in regards to how the Cowboys
are getting more and more input, involvement and team's operating direction from the likes of Stephen Jones and Wil McClay than ever with this team nowadays.

In the past Jerry era, there is no chance that cutting Dez Bryant would not have even been thought of.
Even cutting a Romo and directing a team commitment more towards Dak Prescott, would not have been thought of in the past Jerry era.

- Now how much of the past Taco-benching in 2018, could come into play with his/team's future in 2019 ?
Or how much of both the Taco-benching AND the added number of upcoming, promising DE players such as Armstrong, Jackson and even Jelks come into play ?

- If Taco is going to be a factor in the Cowboys future , why risk the new guys who could have a chance to develop better than what Taco has at this point?

- Could the Cowboy come to decide to take the Taco's dead cap number of 6 million (I believe) if we were to cut him this year ?
To me that cap hit could likely cause Taco to stay with the team at least one more year, before they can decline that option year at the least.

- And speaking of the other DEs, how much does Gregory plays (or doesn't play) into a factor to keep Taco.. or don't keep Taco ?
and I haven't heard jack nothing about any Gregory reinstatement appeal . it's being kept quite under the radar and in the dark, with the reg. season coming quickly approaching.
Is he even in the team's plan for this year ?

quickccc

Reaction score
What would be the dead cap hit on Crawford if he would have been cut ?
Also why didn't the team come to Crawford with asking (demanding?) him to take a pay cut - in the same sense they did with Lee and Allen Hurns ?
Because $7 million, is an awful lot to be paying a backup/rotation DE/DT guy, that is not a starter.
And getting closer and closer to the regular season, what's the likelihood that the team is going to wait this late to request a pay cut from Crawford ?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- but vs the 90's Shante Carver/Carpenter- Jerry led era, there seems to be more signs of changing of the guard with management in regards to how the Cowboys
are getting more and more input, involvement and team's operating direction from the likes of Stephen Jones and Wil McClay than ever with this team nowadays.

In the past Jerry era, there is no chance that cutting Dez Bryant would not have even been thought of.
Even cutting a Romo and directing a team commitment more towards Dak Prescott, would not have been thought of in the past Jerry era.

- Now how much of the past Taco-benching in 2018, could come into play with his/team's future in 2019 ?
Or how much of both the Taco-benching AND the added number of upcoming, promising DE players such as Armstrong, Jackson and even Jelks come into play ?

- If Taco is going to be a factor in the Cowboys future , why risk the new guys who could have a chance to develop better than what Taco has at this point?

- Could the Cowboy come to decide to take the Taco's dead cap number of 6 million (I believe) if we were to cut him this year ?
To me that cap hit could likely cause Taco to stay with the team at least one more year, before they can decline that option year at the least.

- And speaking of the other DEs, how much does Gregory plays (or doesn't play) into a factor to keep Taco.. or don't keep Taco ?
and I haven't heard jack nothing about any Gregory reinstatement appeal . it's being kept quite under the radar and in the dark, with the reg. season coming quickly approaching.
Is he even in the team's plan for this year ?

Better roster management than in the past:
Yes, I mentioned that Cowboys roster management has been better in recent years.

The history is still significant if someone was handicapping the probability of Taco being cut/traded.

With regards to cutting Dez & Romo:
Aikman was cut despite Aikman believing he might eventually play again as of the time they cut him.

Jerry allowed Parcells to cut Emmitt and Larry Allen. Both played for other teams afterwards.

Cap Hit:
They could get at least a 7th round pick for Taco. The new team would assume the remaining guaranteed salary minimizing the dead-money.

Gregory:
There is no way they can factor Gregory into their plans. If he becomes available it's a bonus.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What would be the dead cap hit on Crawford if he would have been cut ?
Also why didn't the team come to Crawford with asking (demanding?) him to take a pay cut - in the same sense they did with Lee and Allen Hurns ?
Because $7 million, is an awful lot to be paying a backup/rotation DE/DT guy, that is not a starter.
And getting closer and closer to the regular season, what's the likelihood that the team is going to wait this late to request a pay cut from Crawford ?

Dead-Money is not really an issue. That's money that has already been paid to the player but has not been charged against the cap yet.

The cost to keep Crawford on the roster in 2019 vs cutting Crawford prior to 2019 is 7M.
- Keeping him adds the 7M to the Cowboys overall cap.

I don't think they will ask Crawford to take a pay cut.
- If they think he is still significantly better than Hyder/Taco/Armstong at DE, then they'll keep him.
- If any of Hyder/Taco/Armstrong are as good as Crawford, then they don't really need Crawford.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've totally forgot about DT Daniel Ross.
Mostly because I haven't heard any raves or impression reports about him in camp, and I've not noticed him in the preseason.

I still don't even consider him making the 53 roster team among the DL unit. But I could wrong as i'm not sure if Hill can play the 1 tech at this stage, and what if
Woods or Covington get hurt too ?
5 DTs spots may seem excessive number- but at season's end, we had several DTs that were dinged up pretty good going into vs Rams in the playoffs.
And that certainly didn't help matters vs the run.

I've heard different reports and hear says on Ross per playoffs, one report had Ross as hurt and made game inactive.. and one post (on this board) declaring that Ross was benched per coaching decision (first/only time I heard that one)

I still him as JAG- rotation type, but obviously the Cowboys like him and his role enough to bring him back for a his restricted year contract.
And I think he's more of a 1 tech., and with the addition of rookie Trysten Hill and FA vet Chris Covington, I have to wonder how many backup rotation roles the Cowboys are willing to
to commit to. I think it's gonna be a real tough task for Ross to make the 53 this time around, but I get this feeling that the Cowboys want a sea wave of available DL newcomers and
relief rotation guys than the usual number in the past.
I can see a number as many as 11 guys at DL unit on this 53 roster.
Daniel Ross
- Played in the 1st playoff game (Seattle).
- Was not active for the 2nd playoff game (Rams).
- Was not on the injury report that week.​

cowboyec

Reaction score
Lawrence
Quinn
Charlton
Hyder
Jackson

Collins
Woods
Crawford
Covington
Hill

if Quinn doesn't count due to suspension...Dorance Armstrong.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I agree early in the season it will look similar to your breakdown.

The big question for me is Crawford. I know Marinelli loves him, but it would likely make Stephen Jones nauseous to pay a Non-Starter 7M for the season.

Crawford has been a full time starter the past 5 seasons which made his salary OK, but if Quinn projects to start as RDE then Crawford will be a rotational DE, not a starter.

Hyder is a DE/DT type player that can replace some of what Crawford has done as a DE/DT hybrid.

From my observations, it seems that between Crawford/Hyder:
- Hyder appears to have more pass rush ability at DE.
- Crawford likely has better ability to hold up against the run at DT than Hyder.

As an inactive backup injury replacement option, Joe Jackson has played a few snaps as a pass rushing DT, as well as his normal DE position.

Without Crawford, by mid-season, it could look like this:

DT
65% .... Woods
65% .... Collins
40% .... Hill
30% .... Covington

DE
70% .... DLaw
65% .... Quinn
40% .... Taco or Hyder or Armstrong
25% .... Taco or Hyder or Armstrong

They've been using Hyder at DT in pass rush situations (3rd & long) in the preseason games.
- It would be good to have the extra player in addition to Covington for some snaps at 3-tech DT while Hill is developing.

If Crawford stays, then 2 of Hyder/Taco/Armstrong are on the bench.

I do not think it's a good idea to have Taco as an inactive player.
- He is finally showing the required effort/motivation the coaches demanded after benching him last season.
- I don't think he has the mental makeup to handle being inactive now that he has done what the coaches have asked of him.
- They would be better off trading him than making him an inactive backup, IMO.

They did have 9 DL active for at least 1 game last season, but they've used 8 for the vast majority of games since switching back to the 4-3.

Stephen already factored TC into his speadsheet so he's a sunk cost at this point. And the team has zero cap crunch this year.
If they feel TC isn't a top 6 DL on the club they may well cut him in favor of upside but I am fairly certian that won't the case.

Crawford could always start weeks 1/2 at RDE then weeks 3-6 at 3T and then if anyone else is injured move again.
That's ultimately his value. His position flex and he is a starting caliber player(but non-Pro Bowler) at multiple positions.

If no one gets suspended again, no one gets injured, then there will be a numbers crunch so someone could be trade bait.
But we've got 2 weeks of Quinn to eat and who knows hoiw long on Gregory.
I seriously doubt it's TC tho who offers more vlaue to this team and DC than he does others.

I do think next year is a more interesting question. DO they extend him at team friendly terms?
Possibly given this is a title window. It rather behooves both sides.
But I do not really see them letting him play out next season on that deal so if he doesnt wanna extend under team friendly terms he could be cut.

I agree on Taco but however much Rod loves Crawford he feels the inverse towards Taco. That's why I see him mostly being used as trade bait. WR/TE/S all seem possible options where DAL would like a quality vet player but not need a star.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
2 things to consider here.

I. Rod M has full carte blanche with DL. 100% full no voting autonomy with DL.
II. Rod racks and stacks these dudes very different than fans.
His rack and stack may very well look like
1. DLaw
2. TC
3. Collins
4. Quinn
5. Hyder
6. Hill
7. Woods
8. Covington
9. Taco
10. Jackson
11. Armstrong
12. Jelks

Why? Rod loves position flex, loves effort more than stats, doesnt value pure 1T and respects guys who have done it before.