10 greatest rock bands

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I agree on MTV. It is for the mindless musicians. For instance, you can have 450lb woman with a great voice and exceptional talent ... but she'll never get a contract because she doesn't look that part of Brittney Spears.

MTV is the worst thing that ever happened to music.

Technology, I feel if you use it correctly, is not a big deal for the most part.

However, spinning records and speeding them up like this AKON guy is doing is a complete rip off of and utterly classless - not to mention it sounds like fecies.

And I agree with you on loops too ... I hate them.

Radiohead is on MTV. Coldplay, U2, and many other artistic bands. They play alot of crap for 12 year olds cause 30 year olds have jobs:) lol.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell said:
And its easy to attack the content of rap music but whose content really has depth?

Listen to Hendrix and the Chili Peppers and you'll find depth in all apects.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Radiohead is on MTV. Coldplay, U2, and many other artistic bands. They play alot of crap for 12 year olds cause 30 year olds have jobs:) lol.

Radio was the worst band I've ever seen live. I'm not sure why this band has so many fans. Horrible band IMO.

Coldplay - is a hot band ... but they don't have what it takes to have longevity.

Of course this is just my opinion ...

I grew up on funk, jazz, blues, rock, country, R&B, fusion, classic rock and country.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:

Hendrix was amazing in that he wrote these heavy acid songs that were all under 3 minutes so that they could be played on the radio.

Purple Haze is under 3 minutes...so is Foxy Lady..Crosstown Traffic and all that stuff.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I have rhcp greatest hits version 3 in the car now.
That depth was created through heroid use, lol.
Again what are they singing about that wasn't on the list above?

great band tho. humans are simple not complex as we like to pretend; at least the men.

to quote shakira: all men need are food and sex.

Hendrix was unbelievable: again when was the cat sober?
other than war protest songs which we should have today; what else did these guys have that was original?

We aren't talking Beethoven here.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
Radio was the worst band I've ever seen live. I'm not sure why this band has so many fans. Horrible band IMO.

Coldplay - is a hot band ... but they don't have what it takes to have longevity.

Of course this is just my opinion ...

I grew up on funk, jazz, blues, rock, country, R&B, fusion, classic rock and country.
I find radiohead boring myself. Intelligent but boring.
U2 is too predictable and staid now; I loved Joshua Tree.
Coldplay again is intelligent music from a weird guy next door type. I believe you are absolutely wrong abotu their staying power because its 30 year old music which means its likely to be marketable for years as is U2/Dave Matthews Band.

I love Parliament, Billie Holiday, Janis Joplin, Bessie Smith, BB King, Coltrane, Bird, very little county(if you figure Southern Rock as its own genre), a lot of classic rock(especially harder stuff), and am pretty hard on r&b which is too often chick music imho(lol).

In general my tastes tend to more hardcore stuff but I am pretty open.

I had a female tell me once I would like country if she picked out some stuff for me to listen to and she was absolutely right. I learned then to have an open mind about music. Even disco :eek:

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell said:
I have rhcp greatest hits version 3 in the car now.
That depth was created through heroid use, lol.

Some of the deepest songs were written under the influence of drugs. It opens up perspective.

Again what are they singing about that wasn't on the list above?

The Greatest hits album is not the best example to support your argument. The RCHPs - if you listen to the message - are a lot deeper than most bands.

great band tho. humans are simple not complex as we like to pretend; at least the men.

Issues like discrimination are though ... listen to "The Power of Equality" ...

to quote shakira: all men need are food and sex.

Hendrix was unbelievable: again when was the cat sober?
other than war protest songs which we should have today; what else did these guys have that was original?

We aren't talking Beethoven here.

Hendrix is unbelievable and IMO is as good of a composer as Beethoven. Sobriety is not an issue to me when it comes to the final product. 95% of the bands listed as people's favorite were under the influence of something.

Hendrix is as original as they come. And to me, being original is the most important thing about music.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
Hendrix is unbelievable and IMO is as good of a composer as Beethoven. Sobriety is not an issue to me when it comes to the final product. 95% of the bands listed as people's favorite were under the influence of something.

Hendrix is as original as they come. And to me, being original is the most important thing about music.

Hendrix and Beethoven are incomparable. Beethoven wrote for 100+ piece orchestras. He wrote compositions up to an hour long or longer.

Hendrix, though he wrote entire songs, wrote stuff that at most would go ten minutes, and is known for his guitar work.

Totally different musicians.

That being said, Bach is better than both of them. :p:

Reaction score
My list...

1. Zepplin
2. Stone Temple Pilots
3. Ozzy
4. Alice in Chains
5. Eagles
6. AC/DC
7. Hendrix
8. Metallica
9. Tool
10. Guns and Roses

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I agree on MTV. It is for the mindless musicians. For instance, you can have 450lb woman with a great voice and exceptional talent ... but she'll never get a contract because she doesn't look that part of Brittney Spears.

Missy Elliot??

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hmmm, lets see.

1. Chicago
2. Wham!
3. Air Supply
4. Night Ranger
5. Poison
6. Milli Vanilli
7. Skid Row
8. Jackyl
9. Bon Jovi
10. Quiet Riot

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
All day long I've been lamenting the fact I left Lynyrd Skynyrd out of my top 10. Shame on me.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
My opinion. Not about fame or influence, just enjoyment.
1.Zeppelin
2.Sabboth
3.AC DC
4.Nirvana
5.Hendrix
6.Guns 'n Roses
7.Pink Floyd
8.System of a Down
9.Slipknot
10.Green Day (before their recent garbage)

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
junk said:
Hmmm, lets see.

1. Chicago
2. Wham!
3. Air Supply
4. Night Ranger
5. Poison
6. Milli Vanilli
7. Skid Row
8. Jackyl
9. Bon Jovi
10. Quiet Riot

I know you're just kidding.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
1- Hedrix

2 - Led Zeplin

3 - Beatles

4 - Red Hot Chili Peppers

5 - Parliment

6 - Black Crows

7 - Bob Marley

8 - Tom Petty

9 - Willie Nelson

10 - Cake

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
1- Hedrix

2 - Led Zeplin

3 - Beatles

4 - Red Hot Chili Peppers

5 - Parliment

6 - Black Crows

7 - Bob Marley

8 - Tom Petty

9 - Willie Nelson

10 - Cake

Tom Petty...nice addition.

:thumbup:

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Beatles

Eagles

Beach Boys

G~N~R

Lynard Skynard

Aero Smith

Boston

Styx

CCR

U2

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
StonetheCrow77 said:
so is Les Claypool... :laugh2:

:shootme:

You bet! Primus is one of the coolest band there is ... VERY original ... I bet I could knock someone off of my top 10 list with them ...

I've seen them numerous times ... they should really be up there on my list.

And while I think you're kidding, I serioulsy do believe Les Claypool is a good song writer ... not exactly deep, but good ... on of my favorite songs by Primus is Fish On ... And with Primus, there is more than just lyrics ... you look at them musically and they're phenominal ... like Hendrix ..

I'll post the lyrics because they're so impressive.