100 yard dash

RaZon

Reaction score
I once talked about a footballer running a 9.3 100, dude comes on......you are nuts the world record is 9.58.....ha!!! Yep, the guy had no idea they used to run 100 yards not meters.

Here in the USA we went with yards up until 1976 then we switched to meters like the rest of the world, who was it here who said we never ran 100 yards except in middle school?

Here are the NFLers who ran 100 yards at a national class level

*** Olympian

O.J.Simpson USC/Bills
Mark Duper NWLa/Dolphins
Joe Delaney NWLa/Chiefs.......they ran on an NCAA winning 4x1
Homer Jones TSU/Giants......daddy of the spike
Butch Woolfolk Michigan/Giants
Trenton Jackson Illinois/Eagles***
Eric Dickerson SMU/Rams......in HS

Ray Norton SJS/Niners a world record***
J.D.Hill ASU/Bills
Isacc Curtis Cal/Bengals
Travis Williams ASU/Packers.....great kick returner
Gerald Tinker Kent State/Falcons***
Larry Burton Purdue/Saints***
Henry Carr ASU/Giants***

Frank Budd Villanova/Eagles world record***
Cliff Branch Colorado/Raiders
Mel Gray Cards/Missouri
Curtis Dickey Texas A&M/Colts

Bob Hayes FAMU/Cowboys world record***
Willie McGee Alcorn/Chargers world record

Bo Jackson was a 9.5 in high school

This is Ivory Crockett who still holds the 100 yard record at 9.0

showscan.php

Last edited:

RaZon

Reaction score
This is Houston McTear who as just a high school junior tied that 9.0 world record.

I saw him run in Fresno while he was at Cerritos JC, a world class talent vs JCers. He came from way back on a 4x2 anchor, the crowd......WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Florida recruited him but he couldn't make the academics, averaged over 13 yards a carry as a Baker HS tailback.

Last edited:

RaZon

Reaction score
Oh yeah....

Jesse Owens ran the World Record 9.4 six times.

World Records
( - Record was ratified)
9.4* Chicago Jun 17, 1933
9.4* Columbus May 19, 1934
9.4* Evanston May 18, 1935
9.4* Ann Arbor May 25, 1935
9.4* Columbus Jun 13, 1936
9.4* Chicago Jun 20, 1936

RaZon

Reaction score
True story....

It was the 1928 California State High School Championships and the 100 yard dash.

Frank Lombardi false starts, back then the penalty was moving back a yard, ha!!! dead serious. So there he is a yard behind everyone, one of those was Frank Wykoff*** who was favored. At the gun Lombard explodes he is gone, he wins going away. His time......9.6....which tied the world record, not the HS record, the world record. A HS kid starting a yard back running a world record, yep, amazing.

After 1928 we never heard of Lombardi again, just.....poof!!!

1 Frank Lombardi Los Angeles LA ## 09.6 100Y 1928
2 Frank Wykoff Glendale S 100Y 1928
3 Leslie Gray Stockton SJ 100Y 1928
4 Ralph Gilbert Santa Barbara S 100Y 1928

*** Wykoff would go on to USC and become the first 9.4 and make three Olympic teams.

RaZon

Reaction score
Some other 100 yard times for NFLers.

Don Hutson, have read 9.8 anf 9.7. so....?

Our Mel Renfro 9.6

Our Amos Marsh 9.5 also out of Oregon

Paul Warfield 9.6

Lance Alworth 9.6

I flat forgot Cecil Turner a 9.3 at CPSLO and a Bear

John Riggins 9.8 in HS and a good 40 pounds lighter than Diesel. Still 200 pounds is big for a sprinter.

Wilbert Montgomery 9.5

Billy Cannon that LSU Heisman winner 9.5

Bobby Mitchell 9.6

Bob Boyd NCAA Champ 9.5

Army's Mr,Outside Glenn Davis 9.6

Buddy Young was a NCAA and USA 100 Champ all 5-4 of him, not sure what he ran, would guess 9.5 at least.

Tony Dorsett ran a 9.6 in a Superstars competition, no doubt if he'd ran track at Pitt....9.4

RaZon

Reaction score
Back in the 30's TCU had a running back named Cyrus Leland he was a blurr, actually tied the world record in the 100 yard dash at 9.4, being this was at TCU in the 30's. well....

Cyrus Leland (USA) Forth Worth 20.05.1930
Timed in 8.4 for 100 yards from a flying start, according to an electrical device. No details were given about how this apparatus was operating, but stopwatches caught him at 8.7, which improved the World Best set by Paddock anyway. The 8.7 figure translates to a 10.51 m/s. Source: Pampa Daily News, 21.05.1930. Texas Christian University’s Leland set the fastest 100 y time of the year in 9.4w and ran 9.6 for 101 y on 29 March in Dallas as he was set back one y for a false start! That cost him about a tenth when the World Record was 9.5. Leland already matched this time in 1929 at the TCU – Baylor match, but the record was not ratified as dual meets were not eligible for permanent listing.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Some other 100 yard times for NFLers.

Don Hutson, have read 9.8 anf 9.7. so....?

Our Mel Renfro 9.6

Our Amos Marsh 9.5 also out of Oregon

Paul Warfield 9.6

Lance Alworth 9.6

I flat forgot Cecil Turner a 9.3 at CPSLO and a Bear

John Riggins 9.8 in HS and a good 40 pounds lighter than Diesel. Still 200 pounds is big for a sprinter.

Wilbert Montgomery 9.5

Billy Cannon that LSU Heisman winner 9.5

Bobby Mitchell 9.6

Bob Boyd NCAA Champ 9.5

Army's Mr,Outside Glenn Davis 9.6

Buddy Young was a NCAA and USA 100 Champ all 5-4 of him, not sure what he ran, would guess 9.5 at least.

Tony Dorsett ran a 9.6 in a Superstars competition, no doubt if he'd ran track at Pitt....9.4

Cool stats Razon. I didn’t realize that Lance Alworth was that fast.

RaZon

Reaction score
When 0.J. Simpson ran on that USC world record 4x1 it looked like this...

Earl McCullouch a 13.2 hurdler, soon to become a Detroit Lion WR with 9.5 speed.
Fred Kuler who ran a JC record 9.3 before USC
O.J.Simpson 9.4
Lennox Miller the great Jamaican who would win Olympic silver and bronze at 100m, 9.2

Very rare for college teams to pull that off. Usually it's national teams like our 1964 Olympic team

Both our 100m cats Mel Pender 9.3 and Trenton Jackson 9.4 (soon to become an Eagle RB) were injured in the heats so we had to run our 200m guys Richard Stebbins 9.2 and Paul Drayton 9.3, and Gerry Ashworth 9.4 on anchor Bullet Bob Hayes 9.1.

Check it out....we are in lane 7

As we see Hayes came from way back to win the gold, that anchor was ran in 8.6 which boggles the mind, an 8.6 on a dirt track.....wow!!!!!

Would love to own that baton Hayes tossed in the sky,

We only saw Bullet Bob as a college guy, no telling what he's running at 26-30.

Last edited:

RaZon

Reaction score
Based on a true story;;;

In 1954 at the California State High School Championships we would finally get to see Alameda's James Jackson vs Delano's (30 minutes away) Leamon King meet in the 100 yard dash.

Both had won the state title before with the other being injured, both held a share of the HS record at 9.4 along with the great Jesse Owens. And both had never lost in their HS career.

This was a real big deal, and the media was on top of it, camera's all over the place.

So after both guys cruised thru the heats running 9.7's there they stood,,

James Jackson in lane 4, the short muscular bullet looking intense and edgy.
Leamon King in lane 5 the tall rangy speedster looking aloof and a bit bored, which was his norm.

There was a hush over the crowd of 60,000 crammed into that Ratcliff Stadium in Fresno,

The starter,,,,,runners come to your mark.............set.........BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Results

1 Bill Swisshelm Santa Ana NC # 09.6
2 Leamon King Delano 9.7
3 James Jackson Alameda 9.9
4 Dick Dorsey Santa Monica 10.0
5 Ronald Giardina Castlemont 10.1

Last edited:

RaZon

Reaction score
The forgotten 100 yard stud.....Andrew Hopkins, a 9.2 cat out of Stephen F Austin, he ended up starring in the CFL, no pro RB had ever ran faster than his 9.2.

RNPU6BPNORAK7O426JLYDAVU6E.jpg

RaZon

Reaction score
I have a friend here in Dallas that trains athletes specifically for speed.
She calls herself the Speed Doctor.....

Speed is like rhythm ya have it or ya don't. But, ya can take a 10.10 guy and make a 9.98 out of him, Ya just can't take a 10.36guy and make a 9.98 out of him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Speed is like rhythm ya have it or ya don't. But, ya can take a 10.10 guy and make a 9.98 out of him, Ya just can't take a 10.36guy and make a 9.98 out of him.
I could never break 4.55 forty, but never really trained for it as I should and only tried a few times.....and that was way back in the early 80s.
Same with the vertical.

Curious what it could've been with modern training, but whatever.
I was more into basketball, baseball...surfing...lol.....not track.
Football was my favorite (and my dad was coach) but in high school, we moved to the Outer Banks (island of NC) and the school had no team. So went from huge HS to tiny beach school.

RaZon

Reaction score
I could never break 4.55 forty, but never really trained for it as I should and only tried a few times.....and that was way back in the early 80s.
Same with the vertical.

Curious what it could've been with modern training, but whatever.
I was more into football, basketball, baseball...surfing...lol.....not track

Who trains for "just" a 40? Not sure what that would be like, would guess just starts, reaction to the ....go!

No human can run a 100m all out, that is impossible. So ya train for the different phases and there are 4 of them.

Reaction to the gun, that start.
Acceleration, getting to your max velocity/top end
At MV/topend and trying to sustain it
The decelleration phase as ya start losing your MV/Topend

The key is speed endurance, that only comes with specific training, a lot of over distance stuff like 300's.

Sprinters hit that MV.Topend around 50ishm now it's how long can you stay there, those with speed endurance are good for around 20ish meters or so, now here comes that decellerating, those with speed endurance slow slowly, those lacking more quickly.

A 40 takes none of that, all that is a good start and acceleration.

Usain Bolt was a freak of nature, he took so long to hit his MV/Topend he spent little time decellerating and his speed endurance off the charts.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

You left out without steroids... Remember the juice moved Ben Johnson from a 10.2 -ish guy to a 9.79 er.

RaZon

Reaction score
You left out without steroids... Remember the juice moved Ben Johnson from a 10.2 -ish guy to a 9.79 er.

Actually his 100m progression went like this...

age time

15 11.5
16 10.79
17 10.66
18 10.62
19 10.25
20 10.30
21 10.19
22 10.12
23 10.00
24 9.95
25 9.83
26 9.79

It wasn't 10.2 BOOM 9.7 at all.

Actually what we see up there is pretty normal.

Ben Johnson was a stud sprinter years before 1988.

1984 world rankings

1984 1......................................Carl Lewis (US)
2................................. Sam Graddy (US)
3................................ Kirk Baptiste (US)
4........................ Ben Johnson (Canada)
5................................... Ron Brown (US)
6................................. Calvin Smith (US)
7.............................. Harvey Glance (US)
8............................ Osvaldo Lara (Cuba) 9................................ Stefano Tilli (Italy) 10................... Leandro Peñalver (Cuba

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This is Houston McTear who as just a high school junior tied that 9.0 world record.

I saw him run in Fresno while he was at Cerritos JC, a world class talent vs JCers. He came from way back on a 4x2 anchor, the crowd......WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Florida recruited him but he couldn't make the academics, averaged over 13 yards a carry as a Baker HS tailback.

McTear went to a single A school in rural Florida.. As such he was able to absolutely boat race the dudes in his class .. His only loss of his high school career was to my high school teammate Cyril Wyatt in the 200 meters at a post season meet in 1976. They were the headliners at that meet.. McTear won the 100 meters 10.3 to 10.5 but he was no match for Cyril in the 200. McTear did indeed struggle with academics and was already 19 (as a junior) when he ran that amazing 100 yard dash. He was never going to make it on a college campus so it was good that Ali took a liking to him and sponsored him.. I felt blessed to have gotten to see him up close and personal a few times in high school. Dude's start was otherworldly.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Who trains for "just" a 40? Not sure what that would be like, would guess just starts, reaction to the ....go!

No human can run a 100m all out, that is impossible. So ya train for the different phases and there are 4 of them.

Reaction to the gun, that start.
Acceleration, getting to your max velocity/top end
At MV/topend and trying to sustain it
The decelleration phase as ya start losing your MV/Topend

The key is speed endurance, that only comes with specific training, a lot of over distance stuff like 300's.

Sprinters hit that MV.Topend around 50ishm now it's how long can you stay there, those with speed endurance are good for around 20ish meters or so, now here comes that decellerating, those with speed endurance slow slowly, those lacking more quickly.

A 40 takes none of that, all that is a good start and acceleration.

Usain Bolt was a freak of nature, he took so long to hit his MV/Topend he spent little time decellerating and his speed endurance off the charts.
I wonder why the NFL only uses 40 times?
No 100 times ever at the combine. Mainly because it is not as relevant.
You even kind of described it with Bolt.
There are people that start to fade after 40-60 yards and then there are the Usain Bolts of the world he releases the jets about 1/2 way and leave everyone behind.

Maybe they should call RaZon....he can set them straight!

Anyway, I didn't train for the 40 or the 100. That was kind of my point. I was not a track guy and NEVER trained like one.
Occasionally for football or basketball, pre-season, they would ask us to line up and run a 40 though.

I can tell you love track. Seems like a lot of your threads are talking about 100m times.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Actually his 100m progression went like this...

age time

15 11.5
16 10.79
17 10.66
18 10.62
19 10.25
20 10.30
21 10.19
22 10.12
23 10.00
24 9.95
25 9.83
26 9.79

It wasn't 10.2 BOOM 9.7 at all.

Actually what we see up there is pretty normal.

Ben Johnson was a stud sprinter years before 1988.

I never mentioned 1988 nor did I say he started on the juice in 1988.. By all accounts he started shortly after losing to Carl Lewis for several big events in a row beginning with the 1984 Olympics. I know it didn't happen overnight.. He had to put in the work in addition to juicing. But as you know, the juice allows you to put in more work AND allows the body to reap the benefits from said work at a high level.. It's not magic.. but it's impact is undeniable.