100 yard dash

RaZon

Reaction score
You got this mixed up. Roberson never ran against McTear in high school as he was at AAAA Winter Park High School while McTear was at AA Baker. The 9.0 was run at the state meet in the prelims but was never ratified as it was hand timed. Florida didn't even run the two classes on the same day back then. The A and AA meet was on Friday while the AAA and AAAA meet took place on Saturday. I attended both meets as my older brother was running for Evans in the AAAA meet and after hearing so much about McTear a bunch of us went to the AA meet on Friday.. Which we could attend for free by simply wearing our team sweats..

Now I remember it was,....

The time by the 18‐year‐old Baker High School junior, who has already competed against world‐class sprinters, shattered the national high school record of 9.2 seconds that he and Mike Roberson of Winter Park High School set in separate qualifying meets last weekend. And it tied the world mark of 9.0 set by Ivory Crockett last year at Knoxville, Term.

That was it.

Ivory Crocketts 9.0 100 yard world record also hand timed.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This is the only video that exists of ivory Crockett breaking the 100 yard dash record in 1974. Someone happened to be recording the race in the crowd it happened on a rainy day. It took man 100 years to go from 10.0 to 9.0 in the 100 yard dash.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This sort of post always gets me to thinking how fast bob Hayes could have run if he hadn't essentially "retired" from track and field to go play in the NFL. I think the proliferation of the rubberized tracks as well as just plain old physical maturity and development might have seen him running mid 9's in the 100 meters by the time the 68 Olympics came around. That 9.95 Hines set in Mexico City probably would probably have only been good enough for second place.. The mind boggles at what Bullet could have accomplished on the track with 7-8 years of nonstop sprint training..

RaZon

Reaction score
This is the only video that exists of ivory Crockett breaking the 100 yard dash record in 1974. Someone happened to be recording the race in the crowd it happened on a rainy day. It took man 100 years to go from 10.0 to 9.0 in the 100 yard dash.

That was cool ,thank's.

The tall guy behind him was stud Reggie Jones out of Tennessee all 6-4 of him.

It wasn't just Bob Hayes at 9.1

Harry Jerome Oregon/Canada
Wilie McGee Alcorn
Steve Williams San Diego State,...I saw this one in Fresno
John Carlos San Jose State
Jimmy Hines Texas Southern
Charles Greene Nebreaska

All were 9.1 World Record holders/

High school kid Houston McTear also at 9.0. How Crockett can own a hand times WR but McTear can't...???

RaZon

Reaction score
This sort of post always gets me to thinking how fast bob Hayes could have run if he hadn't essentially "retired" from track and field to go play in the NFL. I think the proliferation of the rubberized tracks as well as just plain old physical maturity and development might have seen him running mid 9's in the 100 meters by the time the 68 Olympics came around. That 9.95 Hines set in Mexico City probably would probably have only been good enough for second place.. The mind boggles at what Bullet could have accomplished on the track with 7-8 years of nonstop sprint training..

I have no problems seeing a 9.85 in 1968 for Hayes at 26. At 190 pounds he was huge for a 100m sprinter,his power on another level. Even back then in his late 20's...9,8low. If he'd been running today 9.75ish.

Tommie Smith, Usain Bolt, Michael Johnson and Bob Hayes, all 100% freaks.

Tommie Smith actually ran down Hines on a 4x1 anchor, he was special.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I have no problems seeing a 9.85 in 1968 for Hayes at 26. At 190 pounds he was huge for a 100m sprinter,his power on another level. Even back then in his late 20's...9,8low. If he'd been running today 9.75ish.

Tommie Smith, Usain Bolt, Michael Johnson and Bob Hayes, all 100% freaks.

Tommie Smith actually ran down Hines on a 4x1 anchor, he was special.

@RaZon here is my great nephew Semaj Fleming.. doing his own 100 yard dash..

This kick return came for the Edgewater varsity in the game that clinched their district title against the team they were tied with for the lead. The game was also tied until this return won it.

RaZon

Reaction score
Good stuff, let me guess....4.45 40?

Brag.....once had a 90 yard KO return called back because of holding, a 65 yard punt return called back for holding and a 58 yard INT/TD called back for tripping. But....all wasn't lost we won and I met an incredible Chinese girl from Delano at the after game dance, yep,,,cool!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Good stuff, let me guess....4.45 40?

Brag.....once had a 90 yard KO return called back because of holding, a 65 yard punt return called back for holding and a 58 yard INT/TD called back for tripping. But....all wasn't lost we won and I met an incredible Chinese girl from Delano at the after game dance, yep,,,cool!

Nice work pops.. I had a 100 yard KO return in college playing for the freshman team at Harvard that DIDN'T get called back.. Unfortunately it came in a game we were losing 28-0 so not much celebrating was done. I also had an 80 dash for a TD on my first carry in one game.. Good times.. I will always regret not staying on the team after my sophomore year but I wasn't playing it we were losing so I couldn't take it and quit in the middle of the season. One of very few regrets in my life.. I really missed the game and the guys.. but the politics of playing time were too much for me to handle at age 19. I couldn't stand by and watch the "starters" average 2.5 ypc while I was coming in and breaking off 15-20 yarders every time I got the ball. Then get waved back to the bench. I should have stuck it out.. but I was a kid..

RaZon

Reaction score
Nice work pops.. I had a 100 yard KO return in college playing for the freshman team at Harvard that DIDN'T get called back.. Unfortunately it came in a game we were losing 28-0 so not much celebrating was done. I also had an 80 dash for a TD on my first carry in one game.. Good times.. I will always regret not staying on the team after my sophomore year but I wasn't playing it we were losing so I couldn't take it and quit in the middle of the season. One of very few regrets in my life.. I really missed the game and the guys.. but the politics of playing time were too much for me to handle at age 19. I couldn't stand by and watch the "starters" average 2.5 ypc while I was coming in and breaking off 15-20 yarders every time I got the ball. Then get waved back to the bench. I should have stuck it out.. but I was a kid..

Dude ya can't walk away from football, hell, I played city flag football for 20 years, breaks my heart I don't have a game next weekend.

Never sat on a HS bench, played both ways and every special team. It was....if ya want a break just tell me....from my coachs. Obviously that wasn't going to happen. Not sure I could have handled your situation any differently than you did, I ain't sitting on no bench.

Ah...100 yarder, 80 yarder, breaking off 15-20 yarders but on the bench....???? A race thing?

Like ya mentioned ya missed the guys, that is so true, you were going to battle, a gang....grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Damn I miss it!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dude ya can't walk away from football, hell, I played city flag football for 20 years, breaks my heart I don't have a game next weekend.

Never sat on a HS bench, played both ways and every special team. It was....if ya want a break just tell me....from my coachs. Obviously that wasn't going to happen. Not sure I could have handled your situation any differently than you did, I ain't sitting on no bench.

Ah...100 yarder, 80 yarder, breaking off 15-20 yarders but on the bench....???? A race thing?

Like ya mentioned ya missed the guys, that is so true, you were going to battle, a gang....grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Damn I miss it!

I don't know if it was a race thing but I'm sure that played a part in it. My problem is I was small.. 150 pounds soakin wet.. I had played on a team stacked with maybe 20 scholarship players in high school.. and we had gone 11-2 my senior year losing in the Florida 4A state semifinals.. so even though I was a backup who thought I could contribute.. there was no room to complain because we were rollin fools. It's ironic to look at how high school coaches approach the game now.. Using damn near every guy on the roster every game in different packages. I would have had a field day if I was coming up now. But I always knew at my size I wasn't ever going to be a full time starter in college. So I rolled with it freshman year.. Did enough damage and got just enough playing time to keep me interested.. Plus we were good (8-1-1) which again always helps keep you from having a fit over playing time.. But varsity stared out 0-8 and only salvaged the season because we (they) won the last two and beat Yale in "The Game." When I went in to have a meeting with the head coach over playing time he gave me this cockamamie story about "You're a good back but you need to wait your turn" .. I was done. I will bite my tongue if we're winning but I aint gonna stand by and watch the team lose when I KNOW I can help it win. So I walked out and never came back.. I was overjoyed when I found out Harvard had a fully padded intramural league!!! Played a 6 game slate and if you finished high enough (I think top 4) you got to play against Yale's intramural squads the weekend of the Big One. We spanked our draw both junior and senior years. No crowds.. no glory.. but glorious tackle football nonetheless. That was when I found out how hard it is to play tackle football without full time training! LOL! The legs were usually gone by the middle of the second quarter.. After that you just played on guts..

Oh yeah.. I played rec league flag football for about 10 years as well.. Until stuff started breaking for no reason every time I dove for a ball!!! LOL!

RaZon

Reaction score
I don't know if it was a race thing but I'm sure that played a part in it. My problem is I was small.. 150 pounds soakin wet.. I had played on a team stacked with maybe 20 scholarship players in high school.. and we had gone 11-2 my senior year losing in the Florida 4A state semifinals.. so even though I was a backup who thought I could contribute.. there was no room to complain because we were rollin fools. It's ironic to look at how high school coaches approach the game now.. Using damn near every guy on the roster every game in different packages. I would have had a field day if I was coming up now. But I always knew at my size I wasn't ever going to be a full time starter in college. So I rolled with it freshman year.. Did enough damage and got just enough playing time to keep me interested.. Plus we were good (8-1-1) which again always helps keep you from having a fit over playing time.. But varsity stared out 0-8 and only salvaged the season because we (they) won the last two and beat Yale in "The Game." When I went in to have a meeting with the head coach over playing time he gave me this cockamamie story about "You're a good back but you need to wait your turn" .. I was done. I will bite my tongue if we're winning but I aint gonna stand by and watch the team lose when I KNOW I can help it win. So I walked out and never came back.. I was overjoyed when I found out Harvard had a fully padded intramural league!!! Played a 6 game slate and if you finished high enough (I think top 4) you got to play against Yale's intramural squads the weekend of the Big One. We spanked our draw both junior and senior years. No crowds.. no glory.. but glorious tackle football nonetheless. That was when I found out how hard it is to play tackle football without full time training! LOL! The legs were usually gone by the middle of the second quarter.. After that you just played on guts..

Oh yeah.. I played rec league flag football for about 10 years as well.. Until stuff started breaking for no reason every time I dove for a ball!!! LOL!

Interesting read, love the stories of days gone by, very cool.

150 pounds,, ah....ah....was that at 13...ha!!! Just funnin'..ha!!!!

All this talk of Harvard and Yale and I can just talk HS ball, my next stop was US Navy. Did play on the teams flag team there, six games before Nam.

I don't bite my tonque, life is too short. You should have been more assertive.

Last time I put on the pads was a HS alumni game, I was 37 years old and had to sign a form releasing the school from any obligations if I got killed out there, hahahaha!!!!!!! Hell, got tired going out for passes pre game, those pads weren.t form fitting it was what could that find. My helmet sucked.

Guess one of my biggest football thrills was seeing myself play my senior season, the varsity took film. There I was number 20.