100 yard dash

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I wonder why the NFL only uses 40 times?
No 100 times ever at the combine. Mainly because it is not as relevant.
You even kind of described it with Bolt.
There are people that start to fade after 40-60 yards and then there are the Usain Bolts of the world he releases the jets about 1/2 way and leave everyone behind.

Maybe they should call RaZon....he can set them straight!

Anyway, I didn't train for the 40 or the 100. That was kind of my point. I was not a track guy and NEVER trained like one.
Occasionally for football or basketball, pre-season, they would ask us to line up and run a 40 though.

I can tell you love track. Seems like a lot of your threads are talking about 100m times.

The NFL uses 40 times because football plays almost never go 100 yards and frankly seldom even go 40 yards.. On most plays the players run less than 20 yards.. And none of them happen in shorts and a t-shirt.. so realistically the 40 times they take at the combine and pro days are stupid..

RaZon

Reaction score
McTear went to a single A school in rural Florida.. As such he was able to absolutely boat race the dudes in his class .. His only loss of his high school career was to my high school teammate Cyril Wyatt in the 200 meters at a post season meet in 1976. They were the headliners at that meet.. McTear won the 100 meters 10.3 to 10.5 but he was no match for Cyril in the 200. McTear did indeed struggle with academics and was already 19 (as a junior) when he ran that amazing 100 yard dash. He was never going to make it on a college campus so it was good that Ali took a liking to him and sponsored him.. I felt blessed to have gotten to see him up close and personal a few times in high school. Dude's start was otherworldly.

He was out of Baker HS where he averaged over 13 yards a carry as a RB.

Bummer we never saw him in the NCAA.

Only Herb Washington the first 5.8 60 cat had a start like McTears, yep...outerwordly is perfect.

RaZon

Reaction score
I never mentioned 1988 nor did I say he started on the juice in 1988.. By all accounts he started shortly after losing to Carl Lewis for several big events in a row beginning with the 1984 Olympics. I know it didn't happen overnight.. He had to put in the work in addition to juicing. But as you know, the juice allows you to put in more work AND allows the body to reap the benefits from said work at a high level.. It's not magic.. but it's impact is undeniable.

I get it now, ya didn't mean 10.2 to 9.7 in a season, my bad!

I do think this guy was going to be among the fastest of his era straight as a nun. Some dummy like Charlie Francis blew it for him.

RaZon

Reaction score
There are people that start to fade after 40-60 yards and then there are the Usain Bolts of the world he releases the jets about 1/2 way and leave everyone behind.

Anyway, I didn't train for the 40 or the 100. That was kind of my point. I was not a track guy and NEVER trained like one.
Occasionally for football or basketball, pre-season, they would ask us to line up and run a 40 though.

I can tell you love track. Seems like a lot of your threads are talking about 100m times.

I have a notebook that lists every sub 9.5/10.30 in existance, and a lot of those listed were football players.
Also do the same with sub 14.00 hurdlers, 25 and better long jumpers, sub 21.00 200m and sub 47.00 400m, once again footballers all over the place.

So when it comes to that football/track connection I have it 100% covered.

Use to moderate SUB10 the most important sprint site out there,

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He was out of Baker HS where he averaged over 13 yards a carry as a RB.

Bummer we never saw him in the NCAA.

Only Herb Washington the first 5.8 60 cat had a start like McTears, yep...outerwordly is perfect.

I never saw McTear play in football other than grainy highlights on the local news.. As you can imagine it usually looked unfair..

One more guy to add to your list of blazing fast footballers was Calvin Muhummad of the Raiders, Commanders and Chargers.. he ran 9.3 over 100 yards in high school for Jacksonville Raines High School at the Florida 4A state meet in 1976. But back then his name was Calvin Raley. He nudged Cyril Wyatt in a photo finish that night.. The good news was Cyril would take the 220 and help us win the team title that night. That would become the first of 5 state titles in 7 years for Oak Ridge High School.. my alma mater.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I get it now, ya didn't mean 10.2 to 9.7 in a season, my bad!

I do think this guy was going to be among the fastest of his era straight as a nun. Some dummy like Charlie Francis blew it for him.

Maybe so.. Ben was on a pretty good arc but he was also the same age as Carl Lewis and was visibly upset every time he lost to him. I think it messed with his head.. Similar to what the grewat home run chase of 1998 did to Barry Bonds.. Being a shorter sprinter I don't think he was going to have the kind of longevity we see in longer striders who depend on that post 60 meter speed like Carl and Bolt. His greatness was built upon explosive start and rapid acceleration.. both of which fade as we age.. But as they say, we shall never know.. I do feel bad for him because I honestly don't think he knew what he was getting himself into with that whole deal,. I feel like he was taken advantage of..

RaZon

Reaction score
I never mentioned 1988 nor did I say he started on the juice in 1988.. By all accounts he started shortly after losing to Carl Lewis for several big events in a row beginning with the 1984 Olympics. I know it didn't happen overnight.. He had to put in the work in addition to juicing. But as you know, the juice allows you to put in more work AND allows the body to reap the benefits from said work at a high level.. It's not magic.. but it's impact is undeniable.

Yep, very familiar with Raley, Wyatt and don't forget Mike Roberson.

100-Yard Dash
1. Calvin Raley (Jacksonville Raines) 9.4
2. Cyril Wyatt (Orlando Oak Ridge) 9.5
3. Willie Strickland (Port Orange Spruce Creek) 9.7
4. John Walker (Pensacola) 10.0
5. Billy Gunn (Fort Lauderdale Boyd Anderson) 10.0
6. Larry Jackson (Miami Northwestern) 10.0

Getting back to Ben Johnson, I do doubt with his history as it was that he benefited all that much from PED usage, he was headed to greatness as he was.

RaZon

Reaction score
Maybe so.. Ben was on a pretty good arc but he was also the same age as Carl Lewis and was visibly upset every time he lost to him. I think it messed with his head.. Similar to what the grewat home run chase of 1998 did to Barry Bonds.. Being a shorter sprinter I don't think he was going to have the kind of longevity we see in longer striders who depend on that post 60 meter speed like Carl and Bolt. His greatness was built upon explosive start and rapid acceleration.. both of which fade as we age.. But as they say, we shall never know.. I do feel bad for him because I honestly don't think he knew what he was getting himself into with that whole deal,. I feel like he was taken advantage of..

Having heard him talk, ah......hmmmm?....will say it's really easy to see someone like Charlie Francis a Stanford grad taking advantage of him.

Ben was not a multi talented guy like Lewis who could run 4x4 legs, all he had was like you said,,,,explosion. And like you also said that doesn't sustain in sprinting.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yep, very familiar with Raley, Wyatt and don't forget Mike Roberson.

100-Yard Dash
1. Calvin Raley (Jacksonville Raines) 9.4
2. Cyril Wyatt (Orlando Oak Ridge) 9.5
3. Willie Strickland (Port Orange Spruce Creek) 9.7
4. John Walker (Pensacola) 10.0
5. Billy Gunn (Fort Lauderdale Boyd Anderson) 10.0
6. Larry Jackson (Miami Northwestern) 10.0

Getting back to Ben Johnson, I do doubt with his history as it was that he benefited all that much from PED usage, he was headed to greatness as he was.

The funniest thing about that state meet in '76 was it was that year that Cris Collinsworth won the AAA championship in the 100 yard dash. Collinsworth was one lucky SOB because there was like 5 guys who had run faster than him that year who fell by the wayside in the heats.. Two pulled hammies and I believe one guy false started out.. Still I think he ran 9.8 that night which was certainly respectable... faster than I ever ran in high school.. But it was weird to watch this gangly long necked 6'5" white dude win the 100 yard dash..

RaZon

Reaction score
The funniest thing about that state meet in '76 was it was that year that Cris Collinsworth won the AAA championship in the 100 yard dash. Collinsworth was one lucky SOB because there was like 5 guys who had run faster than him that year who fell by the wayside in the heats.. Two pulled hammies and I believe one guy false started out.. Still I think he ran 9.8 that night which was certainly respectable... faster than I ever ran in high school.. But it was weird to watch this gangly long necked 6'5" white dude win the 100 yard dash..

So that is how he did it, have always wondered about that. Yep...9.8

Speaking of 9.8 and white spinters, there was a video of John Riggins winning Kansas State in 9.8, he was around 200 pounds and totally buffed, not sure why it was taken down. He won state twice and the long jump, over 22 feet.

RaZon

Reaction score

What gets lost is this....

If a guy was a legit track sprinter he will be fast longer than just some cat who can run a fast 40 with no track background. That is why knowing about a guys speed history is important.

Tyreek Hill ran a 20.14 200m in HS at that time it was second fastest ever ran by a HS kid in history (Roy Martin who became an Olympian 20.13) then he ran JC track and was the nations second fastest sprinter there, only the great Andre DeGrasse was superior. Then off to Oklahoma State where he wins the Big12 60, so here is a legit sprinter. And what do we see out there?

We see no signs of him slowing down something years of sprint training will do.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Speaking of 9.8 and white spinters, there was a video of John Riggins winning Kansas State in 9.8, he was around 200 pounds and totally buffed, not sure why it was taken down. He won state twice and the long jump, over 22 feet.

Yeah the announcers were always quick to point out that Riggo was once a state champion sprinter.. though it was at 30-40 pounds lighter than his NFL playing weight.. They would frequently show that video of him running during games in the '80s.

You can absolutely see the guys with legit track speed who also just happen to be great football players.. Tyreke Hill is like the poster child for it.

On a side note about Collinsworth .. he and Wilbur Marshall were teammates on that Titusville Astronaut football team and then again at Florida. How they didn't win the state championship in football that year remains a complete mystery to me.

RaZon

Reaction score
Yeah the announcers were always quick to point out that Riggo was once a state champion sprinter.. though it was at 30-40 pounds lighter than his NFL playing weight.. They would frequently show that video of him running during games in the '80s.

You can absolutely see the guys with legit track speed who also just happen to be great football players.. Tyreke Hill is like the poster child for it.

On a side note about Collinsworth .. he and Wilbur Marshall were teammates on that Titusville Astronaut football team and then again at Florida. How they didn't win the state championship in football that year remains a complete mystery to me.

What those who don't follow track miss is just how many NFLers were HS or NCAA or both track studs.

Tonight we have Robert Woods for the Rams, while in HS he was the number one 400m sprinter in the nation. Then at USC gave up track because of $$$$$ NFL.

TONS of former hurdlers, long jumpers, sprinters in the NFL talking TONS.

Todd Gurley the old Ram RB one of the nations top HS hurdlers, Kareem Hunt a stud HS track guy as was Nick Chubb and on and on and on.

Titusville Astronaut.....huh???

Nick Chubb

Nick-Chubb-High-School-1-STACK-654x376.png

DFWJC

Reaction score
The NFL uses 40 times because football plays almost never go 100 yards and frankly seldom even go 40 yards.. On most plays the players run less than 20 yards.. And none of them happen in shorts and a t-shirt.. so realistically the 40 times they take at the combine and pro days are stupid..
Yeah, that was what I saying but you said it ebtter.

DFWJC

Reaction score

A lot of sprinters don't peak until 23-24 years old, so I'm curious to see how Matthew Boling does by then. But he hasn't progressed the way I thought he would after leaving high school in Texas and going to UGa.

My nephew (in NC) was friends with Lashon Merritt. That cat could fly!
The nephew owns the NC stolen base records for both a season and a game....lol

RaZon

Reaction score
A lot of sprinters don't peak until 23-24 years old, so I'm curious to see how Matthew Boling does by then. But he hasn't progressed the way I thought he would after leaving high school in Texas and going to UGa.

My nephew (in NC) was friends with Lashon Merritt. That cat could fly!
The nephew owns the NC stolen base records for both a season and a game....lol

There is no system to that age thing, we have seen fast HS kids never improve after HS, seen guys run their best in the NCAA, saw some PR around 30's, hell, Kim Collins ran his PR after 40.

Matthew Boling will be what I predicted from the start a 200m man which most white sprinters end up, they are more about sustained speed than explosive speed. Boling has also put on some weight which appears to not be helping his 100m. Keep in mind Boling can run 45 400m which helps his 200m prowress.

Expect to see him accomplish more at 200m than the 100m just like he already is doing.

Merritt one of histories greatest 200/400 cats, a stud!

Stealing bases is an art.

RaZon

Reaction score
How this guy couldn't make an NFL roster is a ?????

Same here...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
There is no system to that age thing, we have seen fast HS kids never improve after HS, seen guys run their best in the NCAA, saw some PR around 30's, hell, Kim Collins ran his PR after 40.

Matthew Boling will be what I predicted from the start a 200m man which most white sprinters end up, they are more about sustained speed than explosive speed. Boling has also put on some weight which appears to not be helping his 100m. Keep in mind Boling can run 45 400m which helps his 200m prowress.

Expect to see him accomplish more at 200m than the 100m just like he already is doing.

Merritt one of histories greatest 200/400 cats, a stud!

Stealing bases is an art.

Boling will be interesting to watch.. He's slightly on the tall side at 6' but that didn't hinder Bolt any.. It's more than a little weird that his best 100 came in high school.. The 200 does appear to be the place where he can do the most damage but good lord with what Knighton is doing at that distance threatens to render him (along with most of the rest of the world) a footnote over the next decade. I will be watching both of them intently over the next few years.

I agree with you about the age thing.. I ran my PR in the 100 a month shy of my 35th birthday in 1995.. But I didn't learn how to train properly until my late 20's.. Well more accurately I didn't learn how to ACCEPT proper training until then. I had been hearing all the same corrections to my technique since I was 13 or 14 years old.. I just didn't listen.. Speaking of 13-14 year old prodigies.. Scribble down the name Semaj Fleming in your notebook. He is my oldest brother's grandson.. who ran 11.4 in the 100 meters this past summer. At age 13.. James Fleming, his grand dad and my brother, was a 4 event star in high school .. He was a contemporary of Mike Roberson whom you have mentioned. He and Roberson used to duel in the 100 and 220 weekly.. But when Roberson would go run the hurdles my brother would go long jump and run the 440... My brother was not quite stud enough to get recruited to FSU but did run (and jump) for the national JuCo champion Seminole CC for two years before heading off to the Navy.. Don Merrick, 3rd leg of the 1975 Pan Am Games gold medal winning 4x100 team was one of his teammates.

RaZon

Reaction score
Boling will be interesting to watch.. He's slightly on the tall side at 6' but that didn't hinder Bolt any.. It's more than a little weird that his best 100 came in high school.. The 200 does appear to be the place where he can do the most damage but good lord with what Knighton is doing at that distance threatens to render him (along with most of the rest of the world) a footnote over the next decade. I will be watching both of them intently over the next few years.

I agree with you about the age thing.. I ran my PR in the 100 a month shy of my 35th birthday in 1995.. But I didn't learn how to train properly until my late 20's.. Well more accurately I didn't learn how to ACCEPT proper training until then. I had been hearing all the same corrections to my technique since I was 13 or 14 years old.. I just didn't listen.. Speaking of 13-14 year old prodigies.. Scribble down the name Semaj Fleming in your notebook. He is my oldest brother's grandson.. who ran 11.4 in the 100 meters this past summer. At age 13.. James Fleming, his grand dad and my brother, was a 4 event star in high school .. He was a contemporary of Mike Roberson whom you have mentioned. He and Roberson used to duel in the 100 and 220 weekly.. But when Roberson would go run the hurdles my brother would go long jump and run the 440... My brother was not quite stud enough to get recruited to FSU but did run (and jump) for the national JuCo champion Seminole CC for two years before heading off to the Navy.. Don Merrick, 3rd leg of the 1975 Pan Am Games gold medal winning 4x100 team was one of his teammates.

Most white sprinters who run the 100 and 200 will be more accomplished at the longer distance history has proven this. Boling will be no different and that HS 9.9 was windy something that gets ignored. Remember Christophe LeMaitre the Frenchman who was the first white to break 10.00, he ended up as a 200m man.

Knighton looks like he isn't done growing which could effect where his sprint career goes, with more weight....??? He kinda just showed up, yep a....wow!

Semaj Fleming....got it!

Mike Roberson came in second to McTear when he ran his 9.0, Roberson a 9.2 in that race. Went on to have a good career at FSU. Merrick a 9.2 guy at FSU.

I was done sprinting my senior year of HS. then here came the Navy, after those 4 years I get in the insurance biz, now around 25ish. Ran into an old football buddy in a bar, long story short.....played 20 years city flag football. I have no doubts I was faster at 28ish than I was a HS sprinter without training for it. Played my last HS alumni game at 35, felt great thanks to the flag football.

Then there is Fred Worstein a HS kid around here who made the 100/200 finals at State, then......poof!!!!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Most white sprinters who run the 100 and 200 will be more accomplished at the longer distance history has proven this. Boling will be no different and that HS 9.9 was windy something that gets ignored. Remember Christophe LeMaitre the Frenchman who was the first white to break 10.00, he ended up as a 200m man.

Knighton looks like he isn't done growing which could effect where his sprint career goes, with more weight....??? He kinda just showed up, yep a....wow!

Semaj Fleming....got it!

Mike Roberson came in second to McTear when he ran his 9.0, Roberson a 9.2 in that race. Went on to have a good career at FSU. Merrick a 9.2 guy at FSU.

I was done sprinting my senior year of HS. then here came the Navy, after those 4 years I get in the insurance biz, now around 25ish. Ran into an old football buddy in a bar, long story short.....played 20 years city flag football. I have no doubts I was faster at 28ish than I was a HS sprinter without training for it. Played my last HS alumni game at 35, felt great thanks to the flag football.

Then there is Fred Worstein a HS kid around here who made the 100/200 finals at State, then......poof!!!!

You got this mixed up. Roberson never ran against McTear in high school as he was at AAAA Winter Park High School while McTear was at AA Baker. The 9.0 was run at the state meet in the prelims but was never ratified as it was hand timed. Florida didn't even run the two classes on the same day back then. The A and AA meet was on Friday while the AAA and AAAA meet took place on Saturday. I attended both meets as my older brother was running for Evans in the AAAA meet and after hearing so much about McTear a bunch of us went to the AA meet on Friday.. Which we could attend for free by simply wearing our team sweats..

Last edited: