105.3 ESPN Radio Dallas - Cowboy Talk

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
explain a natural running back. he was a shifty back, Zeke is a power back who also was shifty early in his career. they're all running backs with different styles no such thing as a natural running back
Oh Barry was a special kind of back on the field, like Secretariat was a special type of horse on the track.
I believe that was the reference to "natural".
If you dont know the difference than please take the time to at least review some footage of the great RBs that have played this game,, you would love some Jim Brown footage,, start there.

Dre11

Reaction score
Oh Barry was a special kind of back on the field, like Secretariat was a special type of horse on the track.
I believe that was the reference to "natural".
If you dont know the difference than please take the time to at least review some footage of the great RBs that have played this game,, you would love some Jim Brown footage,, start there.

I've coached running backs and played running back. there's not a distinction as a natural running back. a running back is a running back with different styles and skill sets

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I've coached running backs and played running back. there's not a distinction as a natural running back. a running back is a running back with different styles and skill sets
Well I dont know anything about your credentials or former employment or success as a coach so dont take this personally, but if you cant see the difference than you will never understand the difference.

Dre11

Reaction score
Well I dont know anything about your credentials or former employment or success as a coach so dont take this personally, but if you cant see the difference than you will never understand the difference.

didn't say it wasn't a difference in style, but being a natural rb isn't a difference

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
didn't say it wasn't a difference in style, but being a natural rb isn't a difference
Guess I dont know what your talking about then.
You put a Barry Sanders for example since I referenced him as a natural, behind a great OL and he would have set untouchable historic records.
That Detroit OL was horrific.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He’s too small and wouldn’t be able to take the beating. He’s the perfect change of pace back. Why screw up a good thing? They won’t.

That is a theory that hasnt been proven. Pollard is the perfect back in a RB by committee. A committee doesnt need a 300 carry back. 2 backs at 200 carries or 150, 150, 100.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
explain a natural running back. he was a shifty back, Zeke is a power back who also was shifty early in his career. they're all running backs with different styles no such thing as a natural running back

Zeke was never shifty.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That is a theory that hasnt been proven. Pollard is the perfect back in a RB by committee. A committee doesnt need a 300 carry back. 2 backs at 200 carries or 150, 150, 100.
It’s a judgement call made by the coaching staff. It’s been working fine. Actually it’s been great.

Dre11

Reaction score
Guess I dont know what your talking about then.
You put a Barry Sanders for example since I referenced him as a natural, behind a great OL and he would have set untouchable historic records.
That Detroit OL was horrific.

no they weren't Barry didn't have a bad ol, it was his style of running that got him in trouble, he tried make every run a homerun, he tried to do too much. He had Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover multiple pro bowls

With regards to Barry Sanders, there is a misconception that he played behind a terrible offensive line and dodged 6 defenders in the backfield every time he touched the ball. Interestingly enough, Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders both ran behind the same number of hall of fame offensive linemen: ONE. While Emmitt Smith had Larry Allen, Barry Sanders had the great Lomas Brown. Barry also played behind multiple pro-bowl offensive lineman Kevin Glover and Jeff Hartings who went on to become an All-pro in Pittsburgh. All of those talented linemen were high draft picks out of college. There is a no doubt that the Dallas Cowboys offensive line in their prime years was superior to the Detroit Lions but the Lions had a solid group as well.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Barry Sanders was the most gifted runner the NFL has ever seen without a doubt. But that doesn't make him the best RB.
What can't be measured is vision and that is something Sanders never had. He just relied on his natural ability and ran where people weren't. He had a HOF offensive lineman blocking for him but he wouldn't use that to his advantage. I can't say for sure without looking it up but I bet he led the league in yards for a loss. They always took him out of the game when they got in the redzone. He wasn't particularly good at receiving either.

Emmitt wasn't exceptionally fast, quick, or strong but he had all of those things to some degree but he had vision above all else.
Sweetness was the same way in that he did everything equally well. Tomlinson was the same yoke

Campbell could run over you or around you. Depending on his mood. Much like Jim Brown

Simpson and Dickerson just outran everybody.

There is a difference between a natural runner and a natural running back.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Barry Sanders was the most gifted runner the NFL has ever seen without a doubt. But that doesn't make him the best RB.
What can't be measured is vision and that is something Sanders never had. He just relied on his natural ability and ran where people weren't. He had a HOF offensive lineman blocking for him but he wouldn't use that to his advantage. I can't say for sure without looking it up but I bet he led the league in yards for a loss. They always took him out of the game when they got in the redzone. He wasn't particularly good at receiving either.

Emmitt wasn't exceptionally fast, quick, or strong but he had all of those things to some degree but he had vision above all else.
Sweetness was the same way in that he did everything equally well. Tomlinson was the same yoke

Campbell could run over you or around you. Depending on his mood. Much like Jim Brown

Simpson and Dickerson just outran everybody.

There is a difference between a natural runner and a natural running back.
I agree with all of what you just said, and all I ever commented on and stated was "natural",,, doesnt mean the best.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
A little later they ran a bit of a conversation with Stephen Jones. They asked him what is the one accomplishment he is proudest of since he assumed his role as heir apparent.

He said it is two things. One is AT&T stadium and the other is The Star. That he orchestrated those to deals to completion.

Not one brag about accomplishing anything in regards to talent acquisition from our Director of Player Personnel.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Explains everything -- Stephen Jones focus is entirely on money. Even his regret was paying more than he had to for Dak, and not missing out on talent or not winning.
well thats all he has got to be proud of they havent won any thing on the field in all most thirty years

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Explains everything -- Stephen Jones focus is entirely on money. Even his regret was paying more than he had to for Dak, and not missing out on talent or not winning.
Yes money first winning distant 2nd. They want to do both, but money and glory for buildings they had built come first.

RS12

Reaction score
Stevie is a chip off the old block. When asked about biggest accomplishments he immediately goes to something that leads directly to the all mighty dollar. Him and his equally tone deaf father don't realize the average fan could give a rip about that.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not one brag about accomplishing anything in regards to talent acquisition from our Director of Player Personnel.

The same DPP who needed his assistant to attend the post draft press conference so someone could talk about the players?

The same DPP who when asked if he saw his first round pick's bowl game he said no but he saw some highlights and Brad Sham is really impressed with him?

I remember how popular he was years ago around here. Oh we will be in such good hands when he takes over. Where are those people now? He may be worse than his father.