105.3 ESPN Radio Dallas - Cowboy Talk

DFWJC

Reaction score
I caught a small portion of the Dallas ESPN radio show on the Cowboys. Somethings to discuss, I suppose.

There is an analytics on running backs. They spoke mostly about Pollard.

The criteria here is when a RB hits the line, does that RB hit the hole designed, or runs to daylight. Daylight here is a rather fluid term since this really means the RB is ad libbing.

They stated Pollard was at the top in making people miss. This was a portion of the analytics they were speaking about. He can create his own hole. The caveat being there has to be some daylight to begin with.

Zeke and Pollard are polar opposites in style. While Pollard is slippery, he is second from the bottom in moving the spot when he gets resistance. Pollard will not get contact at the line of scrimmage and push out a yard or so.

Zeke, on the other hand, is a bull dozer and pushes the line of scrimmage forward with his power.

This is from memory and not verbatim. But this contains the gist of what they were expressing.

I got in late to this segment, so I didn't get all of it. But they were speculating this.

What if Dak and the team had not gone 13-3, but went something like 4-12. What would have been the Cowboys focus on draft day the following year.

Mahomes was drafted 10th.

A little later they ran a bit of a conversation with Stephen Jones. They asked him what is the one accomplishment he is proudest of since he assumed his role as heir apparent.

He said it is two things. One is AT&T stadium and the other is The Star. That he orchestrated those to deals to completion.

I suppose since he can't actually point to anything on the field, those would be highlights.

So they asked what was the whiff that he would do over.

He said he would have signed Dak the first time around. The talking heads suggested T J Watts instead of Taco Carlton should be the biggest regret. But Stephen was recorded and not speaking with them live.
Just a heads up
105.3 is The Fan…..not ESPN

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
The same DPP who needed his assistant to attend the post draft press conference so someone could talk about the players?

The same DPP who when asked if he saw his first round pick's bowl game he said no but he saw some highlights and Brad Sham is really impressed with him?

I remember how popular he was years ago around here. Oh we will be in such good hands when he takes over. Where are those people now? He may be worse than his father.
90% of generational wealth is gone by second generation......does Stephen look like he has ever been broke, stressed, hungry, risk taker?

This franchise is headed for darker times once Mike brown takes over from pops

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
90% of generational wealth is gone by second generation......does Stephen look like he has ever been broke, stressed, hungry, risk taker?

Jerry Jones does take a lot of heat for the organizational incompetence. Should be intriguing to watch.

Dre11

Reaction score
Barry Sanders was the most gifted runner the NFL has ever seen without a doubt. But that doesn't make him the best RB.
What can't be measured is vision and that is something Sanders never had. He just relied on his natural ability and ran where people weren't. He had a HOF offensive lineman blocking for him but he wouldn't use that to his advantage. I can't say for sure without looking it up but I bet he led the league in yards for a loss. They always took him out of the game when they got in the redzone. He wasn't particularly good at receiving either.

Emmitt wasn't exceptionally fast, quick, or strong but he had all of those things to some degree but he had vision above all else.
Sweetness was the same way in that he did everything equally well. Tomlinson was the same yoke

Campbell could run over you or around you. Depending on his mood. Much like Jim Brown

Simpson and Dickerson just outran everybody.

There is a difference between a natural runner and a natural running back.
Yes he led the league in negative yards

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Could very well be true.

Nothing's going to change structurally. We just have to hope he's got better instincts in final decisions than Jerry.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s a judgement call made by the coaching staff. It’s been working fine. Actually it’s been great.

Oh yah, its been working incredible. :muttley: And the price tag..............thats working out great too.

Im sure thats exactly what Jerry keeps telling himself.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Barry Sanders was the most gifted runner the NFL has ever seen without a doubt. But that doesn't make him the best RB.
What can't be measured is vision and that is something Sanders never had. He just relied on his natural ability and ran where people weren't. He had a HOF offensive lineman blocking for him but he wouldn't use that to his advantage. I can't say for sure without looking it up but I bet he led the league in yards for a loss. They always took him out of the game when they got in the redzone. He wasn't particularly good at receiving either.

Emmitt wasn't exceptionally fast, quick, or strong but he had all of those things to some degree but he had vision above all else.
Sweetness was the same way in that he did everything equally well. Tomlinson was the same yoke

Campbell could run over you or around you. Depending on his mood. Much like Jim Brown

Simpson and Dickerson just outran everybody.

There is a difference between a natural runner and a natural running back.

Sanders never had vision? :lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::laugh::laugh:

terra

Reaction score

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In a relatively short time I have learned to do the exact opposite of anything you do.

So you would cut Dak, you would have resigned Zeke early and for 15M/year, you would have kept Garrett as our coach and you wouldnt give Pollard more carries?

Your comment basically means you have been dead wrong on just about everything. Which from I can tell is reality for you. :thumbup:

ESisback

Reaction score
Explains everything -- Stephen Jones focus is entirely on money. Even his regret was paying more than he had to for Dak, and not missing out on talent or not winning.
Isn’t Stephen’s focus mostly like that of a CFO? I agree though, the focus SHOULD be more on missing out on talent or not winning.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Pollard hits the hole with speed where the play is designed to go, Zeke does far too much juking and jiving behind the line of scrimmage which has progressively gotten worse since his rookie season....
Only last year and he pretty much had to since our makeshift Oline wasn’t opening any holes.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I've coached running backs and played running back. there's not a distinction as a natural running back. a running back is a running back with different styles and skill sets

respectfully disagree. there are naturals at everything. some people are just born with certain abilities that fit a certain role. Barry Sanders, Emmitt, Gayle Sayers, LT, Dorsett, etc., all those guys came out of the crib light years ahead of the average RB.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Yeah....that might be the very worst assessment I have ever heard in the history of the CBZ....and that is saying a lot.

On the positive side, I must be in a good mood today cause that didn't make my head explode!

Reaction score
Explains everything -- Stephen Jones focus is entirely on money. Even his regret was paying more than he had to for Dak, and not missing out on talent or not winning.
It does tell you where the focus of Jerry and Stephen is..........money.

Winning is secondary, or maybe lower. It the root of this franchise's problem. Always has been.

Scotman

Reaction score
The same DPP who needed his assistant to attend the post draft press conference so someone could talk about the players?

The same DPP who when asked if he saw his first round pick's bowl game he said no but he saw some highlights and Brad Sham is really impressed with him?

I remember how popular he was years ago around here. Oh we will be in such good hands when he takes over. Where are those people now? He may be worse than his father.

I'm one of them. i thought Stephen would be an upgrade over Jerry. I really did. Jerry cares so much about looking like a genius winning it all while making money that it has skewed every decision. Stephen isn't that way. Or, at least, I don't think he is.

I feel like Stephen ONLY cares about the money end of it. I truly think Jerry wants to win it all. I'm not convinced Stephen cares...which will be worse.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollard hits the hole with speed where the play is designed to go, Zeke does far too much juking and jiving behind the line of scrimmage which has progressively gotten worse since his rookie season....

Not true. Zeke always been a forward runner. The only time he must juke or jive is when the OL does not open a hole or crack to run to.

Dre11

Reaction score
respectfully disagree. there are naturals at everything. some people are just born with certain abilities that fit a certain role. Barry Sanders, Emmitt, Gayle Sayers, LT, Dorsett, etc., all those guys came out of the crib light years ahead of the average RB.

it's not a distinction of a Rb. you're not natural, you learn it. some do it easier than other ,but it's still learned. just running doesn't make you a rb.