Video: 105.3 Fan: Fox Sports Dave Helman on Roster Bubble this week

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Another good video and fair take. More and more.... 105.3 establishing itself as a good Ticket replacement, and Fox as an ESPN replacement. Enjoy their takes and interviews.
  • Who is guy who went from "On the Bubble" to "Probably on the 53?"
    • Brutal reality of roster trimming is any given camp there are probably only 7-8 spots up for grab. Not as juicy as media wants you to think.
    • Too early to say anyone cemented themself, other than maybe Deuce Vaughn? But I think we all knew he was going to be on team as long as he showed he could play.
    • Devin Harper is answer. 7th round draft pick, nothing was sure on him. Nice preseason game. Big special teamer. Coaches love linebackers who can play ST.
  • Who is guy who went from "Probably on the 53" to "On the Bubble?"
    • TE is still a mystery except for Ferguson and Schoonmaker.
    • Three guys in the mix now. Hendershot, McKeon, Stephens.
      • Can't pencil Stephens in with just one preseason game. Someone always overrated in preseason with one good game. But dude obviously has skills.
      • No guarantee they keep more than 3 TEs. Maybe only 1 of the 3 TEs left makes it?
      • Hendershot not guaranteed a roster spot. McKeon been on team 3 years. Stephens now making a claim for himself.
      • A TE will not make this team that will make fans take notice.
  • Who is the "Dan Bailey cut?" A player who who was never considered bubble?
    • This team loves its rookies. Cowboys known for keeping their draft picks. Safe to assume all draft picks will make the team each year.
    • Eric Scott. Might have a tough job. Normal season he would stay.
      • Too much depth at corner. Special Teams Ace they may keep. Intriguing prospects.
      • Eric Scott may have a tough time making team if he doesn't have a great game next two preseason games.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another good video and fair take. More and more.... 105.3 establishing itself as a good Ticket replacement, and Fox as an ESPN replacement. Enjoy their takes and interviews.
  • Who is guy who went from "On the Bubble" to "Probably on the 53?"
    • Brutal reality of roster trimming is any given camp there are probably only 7-8 spots up for grab. Not as juicy as media wants you to think.
    • Too early to say anyone cemented themself, other than maybe Deuce Vaughn? But I think we all knew he was going to be on team as long as he showed he could play.
    • Devin Harper is answer. 7th round draft pick, nothing was sure on him. Nice preseason game. Big special teamer. Coaches love linebackers who can play ST.
  • Who is guy who went from "Probably on the 53" to "On the Bubble?"
    • TE is still a mystery except for Ferguson and Schoonmaker.
    • Three guys in the mix now. Hendershot, McKeon, Stephens.
      • Can't pencil Stephens in with just one preseason game. Someone always overrated in preseason with one good game. But dude obviously has skills.
      • No guarantee they keep more than 3 TEs. Maybe only 1 of the 3 TEs left makes it?
      • Hendershot not guaranteed a roster spot. McKeon been on team 3 years. Stephens now making a claim for himself.
      • A TE will not make this team that will make fans take notice.
  • Who is the "Dan Bailey cut?" A player who who was never considered bubble?
    • This team loves its rookies. Cowboys known for keeping their draft picks. Safe to assume all draft picks will make the team each year.
    • Eric Scott. Might have a tough job. Normal season he would stay.
      • Too much depth at corner. Special Teams Ace they may keep. Intriguing prospects.
      • Eric Scott may have a tough time making team if he doesn't have a great game next two preseason games.

I appreciate you sharing these conversations. Thanks!

:thumbup:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Helman says Eric Scott might have a difficult path, Roger says he's a lock. I haven't been super involved ..... but everything I have seen suggests Rogers is correct.

Look at us with an overflow of safety talent. Only took like 25 years.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Stephens hasn’t just had just one good preseason game. He’s been showing up all camp. The game production was an extension of what he’s been showing in Oxnard.

The same can’t be said for Hendershot or McKeon. I don’t think either of those guys are a lock.

I think they should go long at TE and keep four with either Hendershot or McKeon battling it out for the last spot.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Stephens hasn’t just had just one good preseason game. He’s been showing up all camp. The game production was an extension of what he’s been showing in Oxnard.

The same can’t be said for Hendershot or McKeon. I don’t think either of those guys are a lock.

I think they should go long at TE and keep four with either Hendershot or McKeon battling it out for the last spot.
There were some red flags for me about Hendershot. Didn't show up at Dak's voluntary WR/TE workout. Has been almost silent in TC from everyone. This is all fan speculation though, so I didn't give it much thought. I thought I was reading too much into it, because last year I would have told you he's a sure deal. But I think Helman is right in that they might consider him too. I believe the reason he dropped was because of some off-field issues? Could also be something there we didn't know about if he didn't make the team. I don't think they have a choice though, have to keep 4 TEs minimum.

John813

Reaction score
IMO we go the 3 TE + 1 on PS squad route again.

Call up twice and then at one point full time when injuries occur.

Whether it's Hendershot or McKeon or Stephens being #4.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Helman says Eric Scott might have a difficult path, Roger says he's a lock. I haven't been super involved ..... but everything I have seen suggests Rogers is correct.

Look at us with an overflow of safety talent. Only took like 25 years.
I think Helman is going off of what he has recently seen from Scott. I don’t think he was aware of what he did early in camp. Scott play has dropped off recently. He not only struggled in the Jacksonville game, I noticed him being the corner getting getting beat for touchdowns in practice. Seattle game will be important for him.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
I think Helman is going off of what he has recently seen from Scott. I don’t think he was aware of what he did early in camp. Scott play has dropped off recently. He not only struggled in the Jacksonville game, I noticed him being the corner getting getting beat for touchdowns in practice. Seattle game will be important for him.
Agreed. He had a couple fundamental assignment errors in the Jacksonville game. Maybe he lost his head a little in his first NFL game experience and he'll show up much better on Saturday.

Do you think he'll be given a little more latitude given that the Cowboys traded a '24 5th rounder to move to the front the 6th to take him?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think it's sound logic. It was already a crowded unit (including safety!). Might just be preseason but the coaches still consider it actual gameplay and some players just shine or drop more during the moment. Just like it can save you a spot, it can lose you a spot.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Agreed. He had a couple fundamental assignment errors in the Jacksonville game. Maybe he lost his head a little in his first NFL game experience and he'll show up much better on Saturday.

Do you think he'll be given a little more latitude given that the Cowboys traded a '24 5th rounder to move to the front the 6th to take him?
I agree with Rogers, I think Scott is a lock but he is now playing for a spot as the 1st corner to be called on if there is an injury to Gilmore/Diggs. If not they will just hide him like they did with Joseph/Wright.