Video: 105:3 The Fan: Evaluating Mazi Smith After A Rough Preseason

kskboys

Reaction score
None of whom were drafted by the Cowboys.

Again, my post was kind of a joke given if Smith fails, that will be two wasted first round picks in the last 7 years on Michigan DL, who were toolsy projects.
Oh, I know Syds, but you know me, I just gotta be contrary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
It's a bit early....but its trending that way.

Looks like a bad pick.

Mazi was listed as a 2nd day talent.

We should have gone OL in the 1st.
No, it really doesn't. It looks like they are figuring out what they need to work on w/ him to succeed. This is what you do in preseason.

kskboys

Reaction score
1st round pick.

Not supposed to be a project.

Supposed to be a starter.

Even Bohanna is outplaying Mazi.
Who in the world said he wasn't a project? I mean, this kid got by strictly on physical talent in college and everyone knew it. Honestly, who did not know this?

gtb1943

Reaction score
Who in the world said he wasn't a project? I mean, this kid got by strictly on physical talent in college and everyone knew it. Honestly, who did not know this?
First rd picks should not be projects.

shabazz

Reaction score
For all who think Mazi is a bust....watch and learn.

Good stuff there Ken. I’ve been saying all along to give this guy some time and it’s good to see some (hopefully unbiased) critique of his performance

Reactions: Ken

ghst187

Reaction score
If they didn't know Mazi was raw coming in, need major technique work, then yes, they are morons. It's been blatantly obvious. Mazi stands up at the snap, that is actually what you're seeing. Fix that, and the getting blown off the line and being slow off the snap goes away. A little hand work makes the lack of block shedding go away.

If you're disappointed at this point, then you maybe should've even be watching preseason. Will he come around? Don't know at this point. I would take a guess and say that they're having trouble getting him to play correctly, and so played him a ton to basically show him that how he's doing it is not going to work. And if he's still unwilling to correct, then he is a bust.
Obviously he’s way more raw than us fans wanted. Definitely the athletic ability and size is there. There are just expectations that come with first round pick status and clearly we are gonna have to temper those. He’s also in the shadow of recently drafting Parsons who came in and was a beast from the go. Gonna hurt badly if he doesn’t get there in a year or two and he has quite a ways to go

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I said this a few days ago and was ripped by a select portion of our board warriors.
Well, you were correct.
Just learning the schemes and recognizing the defenses take time.
Based on what we've seen thus far, Mazi can be a servicable run stuffer.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I didn’t like the pick even if it panned out.

Run stuffers in 2023 is a joke.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Glad some of you guys aren’t in the front office because of some of you guys had your way we would be watching Jalen Tolbert have a pro bowl year for another team.

He’s a rookie….in the preseason…at the 1T.

Patience

Exactly, I think part of the issue is that it's been over 30 years since we took a NT in round 1. The last good NT we had was Jay Ratcliff. I think some people have forgotten that it can take some time for a NT to develop. However, we've been needing a run stopper for years. We got one. I think we need to just be patient. Bear in mind, stats are not how a NT is judged. The question is, how well does he clog the middle to allow the rest of the team to do their job more easily? I think he is more than capable of doing that in the NFL.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If Mazi isn’t a very good player by end of year 2 then Voch must be the moron.
Guess it’s only morons who are disappointed to watch their first round pick, 340 lbs touted as a freak athlete be glacially slow off the snap, get blown off the line, and look generally clueless on how to shed a block? Yes we are all rooting for him and yes we know he’s not going to be a star immediately but it’s not fair to tell people they don’t know football bc they were expecting their first round pick to actually be able to play quickly instead of basically a near redshirt year.
Agreed!!!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
THEY CAN DO ALL THE BREAKDOWN AND ANALYSIS THEY WANT, can he at least just give us an impression. It's unfair to ask him to be Donald already, but sheesh a big run stop, tackle for loss something small at least sheesh

gtb1943

Reaction score
Just asking that question shows you would not understand the answer but I will try.

The value of a FIRST RD PICK IS SUCH that using it on a project THAT MIGHT NOT PAN OUT is IDIOTIC.

Got it now?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Just asking that question shows you would not understand the answer but I will try.

The value of a FIRST RD PICK IS SUCH that using it on a project THAT MIGHT NOT PAN OUT is IDIOTIC.

Got it now?
No because anyone drafted runs a risk of not panning out. Was Peyton manning a terrible pick because he was a project who set a record for INTs his first season?