Video: 105:3 The Fan: Evaluating Mazi Smith After A Rough Preseason

erod

Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaand here we go with the excuses. Even if that was the case, and we consider our 1st rounder a 2nd, he should still be better than he’s been. D Ed ent game against the Raiders so he might be getting the idea.
Can we let him play an NFL game first? Geez, this isn't uncommon.

Demarcus Lawrence wasn't that good his first year. Neither was Russell Maryland, Tony Cassilas, and as long list of defensive tackles.

Give him a damn chance.

Typical Cowboys fans.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
It's a bit early....but its trending that way.

Looks like a bad pick.

Mazi was listed as a 2nd day talent.

We should have gone OL in the 1st.
OL if not in the 1st, then absolutely in the 2nd round.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Am I the only one here that thinks Mazi has looked good? Game 1 good. Game 2 poor. Game 3 great.

Maybe it’s been too long for people to remember what a good nose is supposed to do and look like. You guys know he isn’t going to be a double digit sack guy right?

RonWashington

Reaction score
If Mazi isn’t a very good player by end of year 2 then Voch must be the moron.
Guess it’s only morons who are disappointed to watch their first round pick, 340 lbs touted as a freak athlete be glacially slow off the snap, get blown off the line, and look generally clueless on how to shed a block? Yes we are all rooting for him and yes we know he’s not going to be a star immediately but it’s not fair to tell people they don’t know football bc they were expecting their first round pick to actually be able to play quickly instead of basically a near redshirt year.

You’re being much too negative . Your “ fan “ card will be revoked by the cheerleaders / homers on the board and you will be asked to visit another library .

kskboys

Reaction score
So what are we calling a project then? Honest question too, not trying to be combative, I just don’t get it. I don’t get how mazi is a project and by some a bust after 2 preseason games meanwhile manning throws 28ints, 56 comp % and 6.5ypa his rookie year but wasn’t a project?
A project pick is a player who needs major development before he can become a quality NFL starter.

You're paying too much attention to the kneejerk and homer posters. Neither ever gets it right.

kskboys

Reaction score
Can we let him play an NFL game first? Geez, this isn't uncommon.

Demarcus Lawrence wasn't that good his first year. Neither was Russell Maryland, Tony Cassilas, and as long list of defensive tackles.

Give him a damn chance.

Typical Cowboys fans.
Randy White was looking busty for a couple years or so.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He’s a bit of a development project. Yes, he’s had some bad snaps but he also had some very good ones. Fortunately, we have Hankins so we don’t need him to be a Day 1 starter. The issues I see are technical with leverage and pad height which are coachable.

Way too early to write him off.
I still believe we want to line him and Hankins up next to each other on first down in our 3-4/5-2 front. Whether we'll be able to do that depends on Mazi. If he can't hold his ground against doubles or beat singles to at least force runs to bounce, then he's just a backup for now. I think we'll find that out, though, when he's lined up with that front. Hankins forcing doubles should give him some single looks to defeat.

I was hoping he'd progress enough that we could get Hankins off the field more, but I think that at least at first, Mazi might need to be the one who only plays on clear running downs.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Am I the only one here that thinks Mazi has looked good? Game 1 good. Game 2 poor. Game 3 great.

Maybe it’s been too long for people to remember what a good nose is supposed to do and look like. You guys know he isn’t going to be a double digit sack guy right?
No it's a spot on take. Some people are fans of certain players and never criticize them. Everyone acknowledged mazi was bad game 2, but 1 and 3 he was good. People just have it out for him for some reason.

chagus

Reaction score
Mazi is a project. But keep in mind he's a rookie. Lads, give him a chance.
I was actually surprised at the pick, to be honest. Then i figured... well, we do need interior d-line help. But...i would have NEVER drafted a PROJECT in the first round.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
No it's a spot on take. Some people are fans of certain players and never criticize them. Everyone acknowledged mazi was bad game 2, but 1 and 3 he was good. People just have it out for him for some reason.
So true. It’s weird. Plus the guy was a late first rounder with well documented developmental needs. Guy is a powerhouse 330 pounder in the middle. We have needed to upgrade there for years. Mazi will do that.

ghst187

Reaction score
This isn’t even remotely true.
Ok well whatever you want to call it then. People saying it takes 2-3 years for a dt to develop which im not disputing but what is year 1 then? Maybe not redshirt but not good either. Based on the people defending the pick, we will have to start talking about a contract extension by the time he figures it out.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
A project pick is a player who needs major development before he can become a quality NFL starter.

You're paying too much attention to the kneejerk and homer posters. Neither ever gets it right.
Yeah but you take away the kneejerkers and the homers and I’m only left with 6 posters to chat with ;)

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Ok well whatever you want to call it then. People saying it takes 2-3 years for a dt to develop which im not disputing but what is year 1 then? Maybe not redshirt but not good either. Based on the people defending the pick, we will have to start talking about a contract extension by the time he figures it out.
He will be playing a lot. Give him a chance to play alongside the other starters before judging.