10th pick. Who are we picking?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
My guess is Surtain or Zaven Collins (if he tests well). We may have even extra info on both when we were looking at Diggs and Robinson.

I don't expect Parsons to be available.

Keep an eye on him....... IMO, he could go before Parson if he tests well

cjlopez

Reaction score
If we go Parson, that's the end of J.Smith after next year. If it comes down to Parson and a CB.......wow...I think the CB will win out. So I am going with Farley or Surtain.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
This draft is going to be interesting. I think Parsons is the best defensive player in the draft. To me if he’s available it’s a no brainer. But corner is probably the bigger need. Does that give Surtain or Farley the edge ? I’d take any of these players.

RS12

Reaction score
The QB dream died with the December heroics. I am all aboard the Nicon train.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
After watching how Diggs played this season. I want another big athletic corner. I want Caleb Farley. Defensively with two big ball hawks a corners teams will be forced to throw the ball into the middle of the field.
If you really liked Diggs and what he did as a rookie, why wouldn’t you want a higher rated guy from the same school as Diggs, taught by the same coaches and has a father that played in the NFL and showed him the ropes just like Diggs brother did?

I mean, I really like Farley too and he’s very talented... but Surtain has so much going for him and is like a more talented Diggs in a lot of ways. Top notch coaching from Saban and Alabama (you know that he can take very hard coaching). Those guys know defense. He has a ton of experience at CB at the highest level and grew up with an NFL pro bowl corner showing him the ropes. And no real injury History.

Farley has some injury concerns and while he has a ton of talent, he hasn’t been playing CB nearly as long as Surtain and has way less film than the Alabama corner. Surtain will walk in as a pretty polished prospect and should be even better than Diggs was.

I do get it with Farley though and if he ends up the guy, I’ll be happy as can be. However, I’m leaning Surtain right now and to me the gap is only getting bigger.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

Ten picks people. Ten picks. We could make some noise next year if we hit on a couple of these picks and our key players stay healthy.

Stak78

Reaction score
Ok, I've been screaming for the last couple of years that we need to draft interior DL high in the draft. Other than the reach for Tristan Hill who still looks to be a possible bust.
I've studied the defensive tackles available in this years draft and I don't see any worth a 1st. There is value to be had at DT in rounds 2-4 though.
That being said it seems the two best corners will probably be available to us at 10. CB is a value position to use a 1st rounder. We could resign Awuzie and just go forward with him. But Surtain or Farley could be a stud for the next 8-10 years. I like Surtain better as well and hope he's still there at 10, but Farley would be a nice consolation prize.
So here is my draft order.

1st Rd pick - Patrick Surtain II CB Alabama - A big athletic shutdown corner to bookend with Diggs for years to come. **** I'll take Farley here as well if Surtain is gone.
2nd Rd pick - Andre Cisco FS Syracuse - I had Marvin Wilson NT in this spot and started looking at safeties for the 3rd rd. This guy jumped off the screen at me. This is exactly the ballhawk we need at FS. Check him out: The only reason we don't take him is if we can get a FA like Simmons from Denver. I'd take Wilson here if so.
3rd Rd pick - Jay Tufele DT USC - He's a high motor athletic guy. I liked his tape better than Christian Barmore's. We may have to trade a couple of late round picks to move up to pick him though. Check him out:
3rd Rd pick - Caden Sterns S Texas - Great pick if he falls this far. If not take Browning here.
4th Rd pick - Barron Browning LB Ohio St. - Big fast linebacker. Projects as a WLB in NFL. Potential replacement for Jaylon.
4th Rd pick - In this order: Tyler Shelvin NT LSU or Jordan Davis NT Georgia or Tedarrell Slaton NT Florida or Bobby Brown NT Texas A&M - One of these nose tackles will fall this far. This depends if we take Marvin Wilson or Cisco in the 2nd.
5th Rd pick - Depth at Corner or LB or trade to move up
6th Rd pick - Depth on Offensive Line or trade to move up
7th Rd pick - Kicker\Punter or trade to move up.

I'm really high on Andre Cisco and Jay Tufele. Some draft experts have Tufele as the top DT and others have him 4th or 5th best. Cisco is rated the 2nd best safety by some and 5th best in others. I would be fine with picking Tufele in the 2nd if Cisco had a chance to there in the third. I feel the cupboard is more bare at safety right now.

Two things could change the draft dramatically:
  1. We sign a starter FS in free agency.
  2. Parsons falls to us at ten.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If you really liked Diggs and what he did as a rookie, why wouldn’t you want a higher rated guy from the same school as Diggs, taught by the same coaches and has a father that played in the NFL and showed him the ropes just like Diggs brother did?

I mean, I really like Farley too and he’s very talented... but Surtain has so much going for him and is like a more talented Diggs in a lot of ways. Top notch coaching from Saban and Alabama (you know that he can take very hard coaching). Those guys know defense. He has a ton of experience at CB at the highest level and grew up with an NFL pro bowl corner showing him the ropes. And no real injury History.

Farley has some injury concerns and while he has a ton of talent, he hasn’t been playing CB nearly as long as Surtain and has way less film than the Alabama corner. Surtain will walk in as a pretty polished prospect and should be even better than Diggs was.

I do get it with Farley though and if he ends up the guy, I’ll be happy as can be. However, I’m leaning Surtain right now and to me the gap is only getting bigger.
I thought about what you said brother and I have been back and forth with Surtain/Farley. The reason why I chose Farley was because I see a guy who could be Ramsey. Surtain reminds me of Byron because nobody throws the ball at him. After carefully looking at the Cowboys as a whole, Surtain is the pick and it should not be close. I think he is better in coverage then Byron because he is taller and longer. We have a big play corner with Diggs already but most importantly Surtain is a plug and play player.m who needs little coaching. Good call bro!!!!

baltcowboy

Reaction score
barmore will not get past the 15th pick.

To me he fits the biggest need. Wouldnt really be much of a reach. He wouldnt be the BPA imo but for this team he's be the smart pick. Not that many quality DTs in this draft. Tomlinson and Barmore starters in 2021 for me.
I would love to grab a defensive tackle in free agency but do we have enough money to pry Tomlinson away from the Giants?

csirl

Reaction score
Drafting a QB is realistic. We could probably get the #3 overall pick if we trade this years and next years first round picks.

cnuball21

Reaction score

The concern with taking Surtain is that if we did our top 2 CBs would be guys that struggle with long speed if combine times match the scouting report.

He's a quality prospect...I'm just not sure it makes sense to have 2 of those style corners unless we know we're going to run a ton of zone.

Farley is a smoother athlete with top end deep speed that gives you a higher ceiling.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Before the board is even compiled, THE decision has to be made. Are they signing Prescott to a long term contract? If they're going to tag him again, they must use that 10 pick on a QB and even try to move up to take one.

This draft is good with QB's and WR's but shallow on the D side and waiting until next year to take a QB would more of a risk than taking him now and having a year to assess him.

If they are signing him, I am all about the D but I think the best CB and LB, Surtain and Parsons, will most likely be gone before 10 so my choice would be to take a look at all of the teams with proven D players in their first contract and see if we can deal for a proven player.

It is probable that 1 of these 3 will be there at 10, if not 2 of the 3. Chase, Smith and Pitts. It will be hard for Booger to pass on that with his penchant for receivers and Pitts is one of the more enticing TE's I've seen play.

I wasn't in favor of the Lamb pick but I could handle taking Smith and trading Lamb and getting a possible 1st+ pick. I watched both of these WR's play all their ball and both are better than Lamb. I don't think any team will give a 1st for Copper.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Before the board is even compiled, THE decision has to be made. Are they signing Prescott to a long term contract? If they're going to tag him again, they must use that 10 pick on a QB and even try to move up to take one.

This draft is good with QB's and WR's but shallow on the D side and waiting until next year to take a QB would more of a risk than taking him now and having a year to assess him.

If they are signing him, I am all about the D but I think the best CB and LB, Surtain and Parsons, will most likely be gone before 10 so my choice would be to take a look at all of the teams with proven D players in their first contract and see if we can deal for a proven player.

It is probable that 1 of these 3 will be there at 10, if not 2 of the 3. Chase, Smith and Pitts. It will be hard for Booger to pass on that with his penchant for receivers and Pitts is one of the more enticing TE's I've seen play.

I wasn't in favor of the Lamb pick but I could handle taking Smith and trading Lamb and getting a possible 1st+ pick. I watched both of these WR's play all their ball and both are better than Lamb. I don't think any team will give a 1st for Copper.

Lamb just had 1K+ total yards with a backup QB and a banged up OL on a rookie deal and we're talking about trading him?...yikes. He needs to clean up the focus drops but he has the makings to be an absolute star WR in this league.

I'd put Chase up against him but I don't have Smith at the same level as a prospect. He's an exceptional college player but playing WR at the next level at 175 pounds is going to be an uphill climb and I worry about durability.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The concern with taking Surtain is that if we did our top 2 CBs would be guys that struggle with long speed if combine times match the scouting report.

He's a quality prospect...I'm just not sure it makes sense to have 2 of those style corners unless we know we're going to run a ton of zone.

Farley is a smoother athlete with top end deep speed that gives you a higher ceiling.
You may be right... I’m very interested in what they both run at the combine.

Bottom line for me is that I do really like both, but I do love Surtain’s savvy.