13 Dallas Cowboys who should be considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame

Fmart322

Reaction score
So many former Cowboys deserve a bust in Canton. So do a lot of players from other teams too.
If I could pick 5 of these guys only I'd pick Darren Woodson, Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Harvey Martin, Leroy Jordan and Ralph Neeley.
That doesn't mean the rest don't deserve to be enshrined into the HOF, it just means these 5 deserve to go before the rest of them.

Let's Go Cowboys!

kskboys

Reaction score
And if Romo basically had an injury free career not missing a game for 16 years like Eli , he could have probably put up HOF type numbers statistically.

Couple Eli’s career longevity top 10 caliber passing stats with a couple SB Rings upsetting the GOAT and greatest team this era , Eli’s “ Impact” will probably get him inducted at some point .
Eli does not have top 10 caliber passing stats.

Oh, they'll put him in, further devaluing the HOF. Deion was right when he said they should have different levels, if you're going to put in average QBs like Eli.

To me, the only two surefire HOF's at QB during this period are PManning and Brady. To me, Brees and Rodgers are the borderliners.

kskboys

Reaction score
The HOF was cheapened the day Jerry was voted in.
It was not. Jerry was put in specifically for his contributions to the game. He was not put in as an owner or GM.

Basically, they put him in because he made them craploads of moolah. Has nothing to do w/ football!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
So many former Cowboys deserve a bust in Canton. So do a lot of players from other teams too.
If I could pick 5 of these guys only I'd pick Darren Woodson, Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Harvey Martin, Leroy Jordan and Ralph Neeley.
That doesn't mean the rest don't deserve to be enshrined into the HOF, it just means these 5 deserve to go before the rest of them.

Let's Go Cowboys!
You missed Cliff Harris, who is tied for 1st w/ Woodson for most deserving of the HOF!!!!!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Agreed. If he had repeated his 2014 season 2 more times (so kept the same play but for 2015 and 2016) then that would of probably been enough to eventually get in. He in that case would of been 6x pro bowl, over 40k, over 300td, and top 3 in the MVP vote 3x
Sad for Almost Antonio that he didn't really get the chance again after his best season in 2014. Legit MVP level play.

Especially 2016. Dominant oline and dominant RB. Stronger than 2014. But Tony didn't get the chance for it.

I still maintain it was a mistake. Dak was under contract having a generational rookie season. Not going anywhere. Tony *might* have still been close to 2014 Tony. If we play Tony and he looks like Tony, we've got 2 legit franchise QBs. Just a gold mine in trade value. Instead, we got nothing when Tony left.

We had 2 bites at apple. We threw one in the trash.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Oh, they'll put him in, further devaluing the HOF. Deion was right when he said they should have different levels, if you're going to put in average QBs like Eli.

To me, the only two surefire HOF's at QB during this period are PManning and Brady. To me, Brees and Rodgers are the borderliners.
Eli finished in top 10 in passing yards and TD’s. I’m not advocating Eli is HOF.

But Rodgers, Brees and Rothleisburger are all 1st ballot HOFamers this era to go along with P Manning and Brady.

It’s not even close either. Surprised you don’t acknowledge them.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Lee Roy Jordan, LB, 1963-76​

There is arguably not a more deserving former Cowboy more deserving of enshrinement in Canton than Jordan.

Ed “Too Tall” Jones, DE, 1974-89​

Too Tall was the No. 1 overall pick in 1973 and lived up to the billing.

Don Meredith, QB, 1960-68​

Dandy Don is one of the greatest personalities the NFL has ever produced.

Jason Witten, TE, 2003-18​

Being consistently great has to count for something. And there isn’t a Cowboy who showed up ready for work more often than Witten.

Everson Walls, CB, 1981-89​

Walls was a shutdown cover corner, who made a massive impact during his rookie season in 1981, intercepting 11 passes. He led the league in interceptions two other times in his career.

Darren Woodson, S, 1992-2003​

The Cowboys’ all-time leading tackler (813 solo), Woodson is the most recent entrant to the team’s Ring of Honor. Woodson was a member of all three Super Bowl winning teams in the 1990s and made three straight All-Pro teams and five straight Pro Bowls.

Harvey Martin, DE, 1973-83​

It took a generational pass rusher like DeMarcus Ware to eclipse Martin’s franchise sack record.

Cornell Green, CB, 1962-74​

One of legendary scout Gil Brandt’s greatest discoveries, Green didn’t play football until he reached the NFL. He was a basketball star in college.

Tony Romo, QB, 2004-16​

Romo is the most polarizing player in franchise history.

Ralph Neely, OT, 1965-77​

Neely became the Cowboys’ starting right tackle immediately after being drafted in 1965. He was named to the NFL’s All-Rookie team. He became a three-time All-Pro and two-time Pro Bowler at the position.

Nate Newton, OG, 1986-98​

The Cowboys had one of the greatest offensive lines of all time during the 1990’s. Yet only one player off that line – Larry Allen – is in the Hall of Fame.

George Andrie, DE, 1962-72​

Andrie ranks as one of the most underrated players in franchise history.

Charlie Waters, S, 1970-81​

The back end of the Doomsday defense was special.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/13-d...-football-hall-of-fame-romo-witten-woodson/14
PFR has a regression model for HOF entry.

Waters is nowhere near.

Neely is right on the edge.
Zach is already a lock and another AP year would put him in the conversation for GOAT.
Witten is a lock, though Kelce has already passed him.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_G.htm

Diehardblues

Reaction score
People say Rivers was HOF worthy and Eli. Romo was better than both.
I agree Romo was probably a better QB than Eli and Rivers but they had longevity which provided them more HOF like caliber consideration stats.

If Romo had 15+ full seasons like only the 7 full seasons he had then he would have probably surpassed both career stats. Imagine if Romo had doubled his career stats. And might have placed himself in a better position for consideration while providing him more opportunities in the playoffs .

An injury riddled abbreviated career without success in playoffs will never get Romo in.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Rodgers in by years AP1. He's very in.
Brees in by PBs and a ring. Just so consistently good. A machine,

Eli is a joke. Shouldn't make it. He's the Frank Gore of QBs.

Pro Football Reference HOF Monitor gives a nice comparison chart

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_QB.htm

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I agree Romo was probably a better QB than Eli and Rivers but they had longevity which provided them more HOF like caliber consideration stats.

If Romo had 15+ full seasons like only the 7 full seasons he had then he would have probably surpassed both career stats. Imagine if Romo had doubled his career stats. And might have placed himself in a better position for consideration while providing him more opportunities in the playoffs .

An injury riddled abbreviated career without success in playoffs will never get Romo in.
Certainly the injured years shortened his career, but it's unclear whether Tony's career was ultimately ended by injury or management choice. He may have had years left in him.

That's the bummer about Almost Antonio. He may have had enough to get him over the top, but the chance was taken out of his hands.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fans forget that “ Impact” is also a factor in consideration for induction.

It’s how HOFamers like Joe Namath and Gayle Sayers get in. And deservedly so.

Their impacts far out reached their career numbers . But their talent level and impact certainly can’t be denied. And how the HOF gets it right.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Certainly the injured years shortened his career, but it's unclear whether Tony's career was ultimately ended by injury or management choice. He may have had years left in him.

That's the bummer about Almost Antonio. He may have had enough to get him over the top, but the chance was taken out of his hands.
While I agree he appeared to have some more left in his tank and I certainly would have put him back in , it’s interesting no other teams had interest which probably speaks more to the concerns of further injuries for the investment he’d of wanted wanted than diminished talent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Not many bigger critics of Jethro than me but his induction as a “contributor “ was justified.

It would have been cheapened if it was football related.
He 'contributed' by helping the other owners become extremely wealthy, and that's the ONLY reason he is in the HOF. If not for that he would have never been in the discussions.

His induction was NOT justified, at least not in my opinion.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He 'contributed' by helping the other owners become extremely wealthy, and that's the ONLY reason he is in the HOF. If not for that he would have never been in the discussions.

His induction was NOT justified, at least not in my opinion.
But that ONLY reason is what defines contributions . And his financial contributions are landmark with revolutionary revenue streams . Pete Rozelle and Tex Schramm would have been impressed .

If only Jethro Jone$ could have stayed out of his embarrassing involvement and passion to be a football guy as a GM , which Pete and Tex wouldn’t have approved , he could have been one of the greatest owners in NFL history.

There’s no one in sports I despise more as he lied to us when he stated he’d do everything within his power to win which he hasn’t by refusing to get out of the way.

I always try to separate my heart from mind and he definitely deserves his credit for his contributions despite his ambition which was to keep his lack of on field success to prevent it from hindering the financial success which in turn has benefitted the entire league and everyone associated financially.

kskboys

Reaction score
Eli finished in top 10 in passing yards and TD’s. I’m not advocating Eli is HOF.

But Rodgers, Brees and Rothleisburger are all 1st ballot HOFamers this era to go along with P Manning and Brady.

It’s not even close either. Surprised you don’t acknowledge them.
Today's stats must be adjusted. Surprised you didn't acknowledge that!!!!!!!!!!!!

And how in the world did you miss "To me". Seriously, it changes everything, and renders all your arguments moot!!!!!!!!! Acknowledge it, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you know that Vinnie Testaverde retired 6th in passing yardage and 7th in passing TD's? So, according to your argument, Testes should be in the HOF!!!!

Greg, that was way too easy. Cmooooooon, you can do better than this.

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s interesting how career numbers impress those in baseball and basketball but not football.
It's even more interesting how some use volume career numbers to overrate players. Man, you are on a roll tonight, buddy!!!!!