13 Dallas Cowboys who should be considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame

CCBoy

Reaction score
Don Meredith was one of my first heros as a kid. I don't think that fans today appreciate just how good he was. My gosh, the numbers he put up throwing to Bob Hayes and those other guys, just astonishing. Plus he took a brutal beating. I can't remember how many times he got his nose broken. And to hell with all the fans who booed him without mercy

Maybe if he had played a few more years he'd be in. He would have been the guy to take us to Super Bowls V and VI. But, he quit too soon. And I can't blame him for it. I'm glad he had success in the booth, announcing, and hawking that 'ol Lipton Iced Tea.
:thumbup:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'd say Woodson, Meredith (including his MNF contributions), and Witten should get in this upcoming cycle.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Don Meredith was one of my first heros as a kid. I don't think that fans today appreciate just how good he was. My gosh, the numbers he put up throwing to Bob Hayes and those other guys, just astonishing. Plus he took a brutal beating. I can't remember how many times he got his nose broken. And to hell with all the fans who booed him without mercy

Maybe if he had played a few more years he'd be in. He would have been the guy to take us to Super Bowls V and VI. But, he quit too soon. And I can't blame him for it. I'm glad he had success in the booth, acting, and hawking that 'ol Lipton Iced Tea.

Free Rainbow Hills photo and picture

Special!

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score

Maybe if he had played a few more years he'd be in. He would have been the guy to take us to Super Bowls V and VI. But, he quit too soon. And I can't blame him for it. I'm glad he had success in the booth, announcing, and hawking that 'ol Lipton Iced Tea.
As Dan Reeves put it: "You should sue your legs for non-support".

If Reeves doesn't get his bell rung, making him miss the ball on the next play, Dandy wins a super bowl.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
As Dan Reeves put it: "You should sue your legs for non-support".

If Reeves doesn't get his bell rung, making him miss the ball on the next play, Dandy wins a super bowl.
And he had enormous charisma. His teammates LOVED him. As he used to say:

“Jeff and Hazel’s baby boy.”
“Number 17 in your program and Number 1 in your heart.”

plasticman

Reaction score
LeRoy Jordan, ranked 4th amond MLB's in INT's. He is the only MLB ranked in the top 6 in INT's that is not in the Hall of Fame.

He participated in 19 playoff games including two NFL championship games and three Super Bowls. He recorded 4 playoff INT's including one each in back to back NFC championship games against the 49ers in 1970 and 1971.

In the final 11 years of his career he didn't miss a single game. During those combined 11 years the Cowboys were ranked #1 run defense.

A former 1st round draft pick, he spent all 14 years of his career as a Cowboy.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
John McClain, a legendary sportswriter with a HOF vote who lives in Houston has said MANY times that the sportswriters in San Fran have a PACT that they will NOT vote to have Dallas Cowboys players voted to the HOF. I've heard him say it numerous times. He personally got Warren Moon inducted into the HOF fyi.

CCBoy

Reaction score
LeRoy Jordan, ranked 4th amond MLB's in INT's. He is the only MLB ranked in the top 6 in INT's that is not in the Hall of Fame.

He participated in 19 playoff games including two NFL championship games and three Super Bowls. He recorded 4 playoff INT's including one each in back to back NFC championship games against the 49ers in 1970 and 1971.

In the final 11 years of his career he didn't miss a single game. During those combined 11 years the Cowboys were ranked #1 run defense.

I still don't know how the Cowboys fielded both Howley and Jordan...and a huge smile on this fan's face.

plasticman

Reaction score
For 12 consecutive seasons, Cornell Green started every single game, the first seven as a 3 time Pro Bowl, 2 time 1st team All pro cornerback, the last five as a two time Pro Bowl safety.

Green participated in 15 playoff games including two NFL championship games and two Super Bowls.

Cornell Green was a two time All American basketball player. At Utah State, he set their basketball rebound record which still stands today.

Cornell spent 35 years as a scout in the NFL, first for the Cowboys, then for the Denver Broncos when Dan Reeves became the Head Coach there.

Cornell Green is the younger brother of Pumpsie Green, the first African American player for the Boston Red Sox, the last baseball team to integrate.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Antonio Ramiro Romo (born April 21, 1980) is an American sportscaster and former football player who was a quarterback in the National Football League (NFL) for 14 seasons with the Dallas Cowboys. He played college football at Eastern Illinois University, where he made an Ohio Valley Conference championship appearance in 2001 and won the Walter Payton Award the following year. Romo signed with the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in 2003.

Beginning his career in a backup role, Romo served as the Cowboys' primary starter from 2006 to 2015. He led the Cowboys to four postseason appearances during his tenure, while also receiving Pro Bowl honors amid each playoff run. Romo retired after the 2016 season when a preseason back injury caused him to lose his starting position to backup Dak Prescott. Upon retiring, he was hired by CBS Sports to become the lead color analyst for their NFL telecasts.

Romo holds several Cowboys team records, including passing touchdowns, passing yards, most games with at least 300 passing yards, and games with three or more touchdown passes. He also held a higher passer rating in the fourth quarter than any other NFL quarterback from 2006 to 2013.[1] However, Romo's reputation was affected by a lack of postseason success, having won only two of the six playoff games he appeared in and never advancing beyond the divisional round.[2][3][4][5][6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Romo

His 97.1 passer rating is the highest among retired players who never appeared in the Super Bowl.

gtb1943

Reaction score

Jordan's problem is that he played at the same time as Nitschke, Butkus, Lanier, Nobis, Curtis, Buoniconti and Lambert as well.

The greatest period of MLBs ever.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jordan's problem is that he played at the same time as Nitschke, Butkus, Lanier, Nobis, Curtis, Buoniconti and Lambert as well.

The greatest period of MLBs ever.
...and a Cowboy.

CCBoy

Reaction score
A strike against you all the time.
Howley just the latest example.
Of those I named only Curtis is not in I believe
The Cowboys never had the benefits of coming in with the old AFL or even a normal developmental period from the old NFL.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dave Edwards was no slouch either. The former 25th round pick of the Denver Broncos participated in all but one game of his 13 year Cowboy career.
Garrison claims Edwards was actually the best of the 3.

kskboys

Reaction score
I still don't know how the Cowboys fielded both Howley and Jordan...and a huge smile on this fan's face.
Howley had injury issues w/ the Bears, and so was available. He quit after his 2nd season w/ the Bears, but after an 18 month layoff began feeling better. Cowboys scooped him up for two draft picks a 2nd and a 9th.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's on Jerry and we know how cranky he is. The HOF is something completely different.

And I don't care they have put Cowboys in recently the evidence is clear they are still biased against them.

Pearson, Hayes, Hawley and Wright should have all been in during the 80's not the 2000's. Ridiculous.
If they aren’t 1st ballot then in the end it doesn’t matter when they go in . That’s the beauty of the HOF, it’s never over. Howley is the one IMO that was grossly overlooked.

I’m very appreciative they all are in. But I’m also in favor for the very exclusive fraternity.

And it’s our owners responsibility to enshrine our players into the ROH which will support their cases for the HOF.

Tex was on the forefront with his enshrinements with some who never were inducted into HOF.

And if Jethro is reluctant then we can hold him with some responsibility for the lack of more. I’ve always maintained if the franchise doesn’t consider their own player to be one of their greats how can the league.

Last edited:

Jumbo075

Reaction score

Lee Roy Jordan, LB, 1963-76 (YES)

There is arguably not a more deserving former Cowboy more deserving of enshrinement in Canton than Jordan.

Ed “Too Tall” Jones, DE, 1974-89 (NO)

Too Tall was the No. 1 overall pick in 1973 and lived up to the billing.

Don Meredith, QB, 1960-68 (NO)

Dandy Don is one of the greatest personalities the NFL has ever produced.

Jason Witten, TE, 2003-18 (YES)

Being consistently great has to count for something. And there isn’t a Cowboy who showed up ready for work more often than Witten.

Everson Walls, CB, 1981-89 (YES)

Walls was a shutdown cover corner, who made a massive impact during his rookie season in 1981, intercepting 11 passes. He led the league in interceptions two other times in his career.

Darren Woodson, S, 1992-2003 (YES)

The Cowboys’ all-time leading tackler (813 solo), Woodson is the most recent entrant to the team’s Ring of Honor. Woodson was a member of all three Super Bowl winning teams in the 1990s and made three straight All-Pro teams and five straight Pro Bowls.

Harvey Martin, DE, 1973-83 (YES, YES, YES!!!)

It took a generational pass rusher like DeMarcus Ware to eclipse Martin’s franchise sack record.

Cornell Green, CB, 1962-74 (NO)

One of legendary scout Gil Brandt’s greatest discoveries, Green didn’t play football until he reached the NFL. He was a basketball star in college.

Tony Romo, QB, 2004-16 (NO)

Romo is the most polarizing player in franchise history.

Ralph Neely, OT, 1965-77 (NO)

Neely became the Cowboys’ starting right tackle immediately after being drafted in 1965. He was named to the NFL’s All-Rookie team. He became a three-time All-Pro and two-time Pro Bowler at the position.

Nate Newton, OG, 1986-98 (NO)

The Cowboys had one of the greatest offensive lines of all time during the 1990’s. Yet only one player off that line – Larry Allen – is in the Hall of Fame.

George Andrie, DE, 1962-72 (NO OPINION)

Andrie ranks as one of the most underrated players in franchise history.

Charlie Waters, S, 1970-81 (NO)

The back end of the Doomsday defense was special.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/13-d...-football-hall-of-fame-romo-witten-woodson/14