13 Dallas Cowboys who should be considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Many Cowboy fans have always felt the Cowboys were slighted but if we put in historical context we have 8 players inducted from the 60’s and 70’s. And also have Landry, Schramm and Brandt inducted.

In comparison the Steelers 70’s team with 4 SB Rings has 9 players inducted and the 60’s Packers with 5 NFL rings have the most of any team in history with 12 or 13 players inducted . I forget .

That Cowboys era with only 2 Rings has the most players inducted except for the teams they couldn’t beat in a NFL championship game . And IMO why they deservedly struggled getting more players in.

I’d argue our greatest Cowboys era is well represented for the lack of championships we won .

For the record we also had several other HOFamers who contributed like Alworth, Adderly and Ditka who went in with their original teams.

kskboys

Reaction score
Many Cowboy fans have always felt the Cowboys were slighted but if we put in historical context we have 8 players inducted from the 60’s and 70’s. And also have Landry, Schramm and Brandt inducted.

In comparison the Steelers 70’s team with 4 SB Rings has 9 players inducted and the 60’s Packers with 5 NFL rings have the most of any team in history with 12 or 13 players inducted . I forget .

That Cowboys era with only 2 Rings has the most players inducted except for the teams they couldn’t beat in a NFL championship game . And IMO why they deservedly struggled getting more players in.

I’d argue our greatest Cowboys era is well represented for the lack of championships we won .
Aside from Howley, I'm inclined to agree.

There are always many many players who are borderline HOFers. However Howly, w/ 5 first team all pros and 6 pro bowls should've been in a long time ago.

Woodson is also glaring. Thing is, he wasn't flashy, which is the only reason I can think of as to why he's not in.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Aside from Howley, I'm inclined to agree.

There are always many many players who are borderline HOFers. However Howly, w/ 5 first team all pros and 6 pro bowls should've been in a long time ago.

Woodson is also glaring. Thing is, he wasn't flashy, which is the only reason I can think of as to why he's not in.
Yep. For the record I stated in an earlier post that Howley was the only one grossly overlooked from that era for the Cowboys.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No one on earth thinks he is. Please tell me there are not actual Cowboys fans that think Tony Romo will EVER be in a conversation for the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.
A ring tapper attaboy fan...as if you are even able to make a discussion beyond stereotyped gold spoon in the mouth talk, Green Bay misplant.

AtlCPA

Reaction score

Lee Roy Jordan, LB, 1963-76​

There is arguably not a more deserving former Cowboy more deserving of enshrinement in Canton than Jordan.

Ed “Too Tall” Jones, DE, 1974-89​

Too Tall was the No. 1 overall pick in 1973 and lived up to the billing.

Don Meredith, QB, 1960-68​

Dandy Don is one of the greatest personalities the NFL has ever produced.

Jason Witten, TE, 2003-18​

Being consistently great has to count for something. And there isn’t a Cowboy who showed up ready for work more often than Witten.

Everson Walls, CB, 1981-89​

Walls was a shutdown cover corner, who made a massive impact during his rookie season in 1981, intercepting 11 passes. He led the league in interceptions two other times in his career.

Darren Woodson, S, 1992-2003​

The Cowboys’ all-time leading tackler (813 solo), Woodson is the most recent entrant to the team’s Ring of Honor. Woodson was a member of all three Super Bowl winning teams in the 1990s and made three straight All-Pro teams and five straight Pro Bowls.

Harvey Martin, DE, 1973-83​

It took a generational pass rusher like DeMarcus Ware to eclipse Martin’s franchise sack record.

Cornell Green, CB, 1962-74​

One of legendary scout Gil Brandt’s greatest discoveries, Green didn’t play football until he reached the NFL. He was a basketball star in college.

Tony Romo, QB, 2004-16​

Romo is the most polarizing player in franchise history.

Ralph Neely, OT, 1965-77​

Neely became the Cowboys’ starting right tackle immediately after being drafted in 1965. He was named to the NFL’s All-Rookie team. He became a three-time All-Pro and two-time Pro Bowler at the position.

Nate Newton, OG, 1986-98​

The Cowboys had one of the greatest offensive lines of all time during the 1990’s. Yet only one player off that line – Larry Allen – is in the Hall of Fame.

George Andrie, DE, 1962-72​

Andrie ranks as one of the most underrated players in franchise history.

Charlie Waters, S, 1970-81​

The back end of the Doomsday defense was special.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/13-d...-football-hall-of-fame-romo-witten-woodson/14
The most shocking player on the list to not make the HOF is Woodson!

Big_D

Reaction score
Romo would’ve been a consideration if the owner wasn’t complete garbage for the majority of the QBs career. Dumazz decisions derailed what could’ve been a nice run!

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
You missed one.....Erik Williams.....he is still the gold standard for a Right tackle. :popcorn:

Only reason he isn't in....is because of the car accident. But his level of play should get him in.

lwehlers

Reaction score
woodson and jordan should be in already. hopefully in the next five years they will make it. witten will make it in on his second or third year when he is ready for the hall of fame. i think witten still has three more years before he is ready to go in. the rest were great cowboys players but not hall of fame caliber. everson wall might have a shot in the future for the hall of fame.

kskboys

Reaction score
No one on earth thinks he is. Please tell me there are not actual Cowboys fans that think Tony Romo will EVER be in a conversation for the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.
Only the extreme homers. Every team has those, though. There are Packers fans who think Favre was a top 10 all time QB. Just as silly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys did more games than any other team in the 70's FWIW.

Damn refs cost a SB otherwise it would be 3 each for Cowboys and Stealers.
Yes I know but we didn’t win more championships which I mentioned . And “ Impact” is a major ingredient for induction .

We gave away our 1st Super Bowl. And we had many other opportunities to win more playing in 13 Championship games in 17 years.

We had great enough teams to win more but we also faced some teams which were greater , at least on the bigger stages. And that’s how “ Impact” influences these inductions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And Romo was rated over him their entire career. So, how does your argument that Eli was better hold any water at all?
And if Romo basically had an injury free career not missing a game for 16 years like Eli , he could have probably put up HOF type numbers statistically.

Couple Eli’s career longevity top 10 caliber passing stats with a couple SB Rings upsetting the GOAT and greatest team this era , Eli’s “ Impact” will probably get him inducted at some point .

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Lee Roy Jordan, LB, 1963-76​

There is arguably not a more deserving former Cowboy more deserving of enshrinement in Canton than Jordan.

Ed “Too Tall” Jones, DE, 1974-89​

Too Tall was the No. 1 overall pick in 1973 and lived up to the billing.

Don Meredith, QB, 1960-68​

Dandy Don is one of the greatest personalities the NFL has ever produced.

Jason Witten, TE, 2003-18​

Being consistently great has to count for something. And there isn’t a Cowboy who showed up ready for work more often than Witten.

Everson Walls, CB, 1981-89​

Walls was a shutdown cover corner, who made a massive impact during his rookie season in 1981, intercepting 11 passes. He led the league in interceptions two other times in his career.

Darren Woodson, S, 1992-2003​

The Cowboys’ all-time leading tackler (813 solo), Woodson is the most recent entrant to the team’s Ring of Honor. Woodson was a member of all three Super Bowl winning teams in the 1990s and made three straight All-Pro teams and five straight Pro Bowls.

Harvey Martin, DE, 1973-83​

It took a generational pass rusher like DeMarcus Ware to eclipse Martin’s franchise sack record.

Cornell Green, CB, 1962-74​

One of legendary scout Gil Brandt’s greatest discoveries, Green didn’t play football until he reached the NFL. He was a basketball star in college.

Tony Romo, QB, 2004-16​

Romo is the most polarizing player in franchise history.

Ralph Neely, OT, 1965-77​

Neely became the Cowboys’ starting right tackle immediately after being drafted in 1965. He was named to the NFL’s All-Rookie team. He became a three-time All-Pro and two-time Pro Bowler at the position.

Nate Newton, OG, 1986-98​

The Cowboys had one of the greatest offensive lines of all time during the 1990’s. Yet only one player off that line – Larry Allen – is in the Hall of Fame.

George Andrie, DE, 1962-72​

Andrie ranks as one of the most underrated players in franchise history.

Charlie Waters, S, 1970-81​

The back end of the Doomsday defense was special.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/13-d...-football-hall-of-fame-romo-witten-woodson/14
realistically, Walls, Woodson and Witten. maybe too tall has an outside chance.

defintley not Romo, Newton.