14% of salary cap myth

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
What's funny is there is a contingent that wants a QB that's able to carry a team at a cheap cost while being able to build a team with all that money so that the QB should have no chance to carry them.
With Dak: I'm told he has so much talent around him, all he does is drag it down. Now that he's taking 15% of the cap... he has even more talent to drag down, lol.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The real management of the team basically said it as well.

Dak’s just not good enough.. He needs to take less money because he isn’t an elite playmaking QB.

There's only like 3 elite QBs in the league. He's good enough for us to win a championship, whether you want to realize that or not is up to you.

We had a Super Bowl offense two of our four years with Dak. Improve the defense, special teams, and coaching? We are there.
Only one of those three areas cost any sort of money.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Ha ha ha ha! I'm sorry, but that was funny.

72-23. We can only laugh about it now. Our starting quarterback was injured and we had two future NFL guys who one was suspended for the year right before that game, and the other got ejected in the 1st quarter.

What was worse was it was freezing cold.

The highways got closed on the (very long) drive home and we had to find a motel that could house 80 players and another 25 coaches and support personnel.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
It's been said ad nauseam amongst those against resigning our QB1 that no QB that has taken up 14% or more of CAP wins the Super Bowl.

Firstly only one QB wins the SB every year making it very unlikely accomplishment. Now let's dive into the numbers.

Heading into 2020 there are only three players with CAP hits that represent 14% or more, those are Goff, Wilson, and the highest CAP hit being Mr. Dak Prescott. So if you believe in the 14% myth you should want us to resign him immedsitely to lower that CAP hit.

In 2019 only 3 QBs hit the 14% mark again. Those being Cousins, Rodgers, and Stafford. As we know the Packers and Vikings had no issues putting good rosters around their QBs despite the large CAP hit.

In 2018 anybody want to take a guess as to how many hit it? YES YOURE RIGHT, 3! Carr, Stafford, and Jimmy G.

How about 2017? Anybody anybody? Correct it was only 3 again those being Flacco, Palmer, and Cousins.

In 2016 that number jumped up to a whopping 5 QBs, which you'll see seems to be an anomaly. Eli, Big Ben, Ryan, Flacco, and Stafford taking those honors.

2015 had two with only Brees and Rivers.

2014 also only had two with Eli and Big Ben

2013 saw that number jump to 4 with Brees, Manning, Stafford, and Eli.

2012 only had one with Peyton Manning

2011 also only had one with Sanchez

2010 was uncapped

2009 had two with only Manning and McNabb

2008 had Manning all by himself

2007 didn't have any

2006 didn't have any

2005 None

2004 want to guess? Yes you're right

You get the point

So when someone uses the argument of "No team has won SB(very unlikely event in the first place) if they've taken up 14% or more of CAP". What they are actually saying is that over the course of the last 15+ years that these 27 players(out of 500ish starting QBs) didn't win the Super Bowl so therefore it is impossible.

You used a lot of words to say stats or bull ****

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
There's only like 3 elite QBs in the league. He's good enough for us to win a championship, whether you want to realize that or not is up to you.

We had a Super Bowl offense two of our four years with Dak. Improve the defense, special teams, and coaching? We are there.
Only one of those three areas cost any sort of money.

Yeah so pay the elite guys and don’t get in the market of stupid.

Of course he’s good enough to win a championship with but he needs a lot around him.

Dak doesn’t do anything that is special on the football field. He’s replaceable.

Dalton could start this season and we’d see minimal difference.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Yeah so pay the elite guys and don’t get in the market of stupid.

Of course he’s good enough to win a championship with but he needs a lot around him.

Dak doesn’t do anything that is special on the football field. He’s replaceable.

Dalton could start this season and we’d see minimal difference.

As was already said there's 3 of them in ALL OF FOOTBALL. How the hell would you pay them if they arent free agents? LMAO

Of course he needs a lot around him, every single SB winning QB ever has needed a lot around him.

Top 10 NFL QBs aren't replaceable.

Dalton is good for 5-6 less wins over the course of a full season.

Last edited:

Swanny

Reaction score
I've never heard heard the 14% argument. I just argue that the top paid QBs don't win super bowls often. It's too hard to build a good team around them

2019: Mahomes 31st highest paid
2018: Tom Brady 11th highest paid
2017: Nick Files 47th
2016: Tom Brady 18th
2015: Peyton Manning 6th
2014: Tom Brady 12th
2013: Russel Wilson 53rd
2012: Joe Flacco 17th
2011: Eli Manning 5th
2010: Aaron Rodgers 21st
2009: Drew Brees 14th
2008: Big Ben 11th

I could keep going but point proven

Corso

Reaction score
I've never heard heard the 14% argument. I just argue that the top paid QBs don't win super bowls often. It's too hard to build a good team around them

2019: Mahomes 31st highest paid
2018: Tom Brady 11th highest paid
2017: Nick Files 47th
2016: Tom Brady 18th
2015: Peyton Manning 6th
2014: Tom Brady 12th
2013: Russel Wilson 53rd
2012: Joe Flacco 17th
2011: Eli Manning 5th
2010: Aaron Rodgers 21st
2009: Drew Brees 14th
2008: Big Ben 11th

I could keep going but point proven
Look at you, being all proven and stuff.
Clap clap clap clap...

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
It's been said ad nauseam amongst those against resigning our QB1 that no QB that has taken up 14% or more of CAP wins the Super Bowl.

Firstly only one QB wins the SB every year making it very unlikely accomplishment. Now let's dive into the numbers.

Heading into 2020 there are only three players with CAP hits that represent 14% or more, those are Goff, Wilson, and the highest CAP hit being Mr. Dak Prescott. So if you believe in the 14% myth you should want us to resign him immedsitely to lower that CAP hit.

In 2019 only 3 QBs hit the 14% mark again. Those being Cousins, Rodgers, and Stafford. As we know the Packers and Vikings had no issues putting good rosters around their QBs despite the large CAP hit.

In 2018 anybody want to take a guess as to how many hit it? YES YOURE RIGHT, 3! Carr, Stafford, and Jimmy G.

How about 2017? Anybody anybody? Correct it was only 3 again those being Flacco, Palmer, and Cousins.

In 2016 that number jumped up to a whopping 5 QBs, which you'll see seems to be an anomaly. Eli, Big Ben, Ryan, Flacco, and Stafford taking those honors.

2015 had two with only Brees and Rivers.

2014 also only had two with Eli and Big Ben

2013 saw that number jump to 4 with Brees, Manning, Stafford, and Eli.

2012 only had one with Peyton Manning

2011 also only had one with Sanchez

2010 was uncapped

2009 had two with only Manning and McNabb

2008 had Manning all by himself

2007 didn't have any

2006 didn't have any

2005 None

2004 want to guess? Yes you're right

You get the point

So when someone uses the argument of "No team has won SB(very unlikely event in the first place) if they've taken up 14% or more of CAP". What they are actually saying is that over the course of the last 15+ years that these 27 players(out of 500ish starting QBs) didn't win the Super Bowl so therefore it is impossible.

One thing, the number is 13% not 14%....only one team in the salary cap era has ever won a SB with a QB who's cap percentage was over 13% and that was Steve Young who had a cap hit of 13.10% the year he won the SB, no other team has ever won a SB with a QB taking up over 13% of the salary cap

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
One thing, the number is 13% not 14%....only one team in the salary cap era has ever won a SB with a QB who's cap percentage was over 13% and that was Steve Young who had a cap hit of 13.10% the year he won the SB, no other team has ever won a SB with a QB taking up over 13% of the salary cap

The number is 14%, how would they say that nobody has ever won the Super Bowl with X% CAP hit if the very first year of the Salary Cap someone won it with that figure?

They don't say nobody has won, except Young, at 13%
They say nobody has won at 14%

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
The number is 14%, how would they say that nobody has ever won the Super Bowl with X% CAP hit if the very first year of the Salary Cap someone won it with that figure?

They don't say nobody has won, except Young, at 13%
They say nobody has won at 14%

Sometimes you should do some research before you post. The number is 13% and like i said only one Team in the salary cap era has ever won a SB with a QB who took up more than 13% and that was San Fran with Steve Young in 1994 and he was at 13.10%

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/af283d/percentage_of_salary_cap_taken_up_by_super_bowl/

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-nfl-131-percent-salary-cap-bugaboo-is-it-true-515

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Sometimes you should do some research before you post. The number is 13%

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/af283d/percentage_of_salary_cap_taken_up_by_super_bowl/

Maybe use common sense when you post? As you can see from the OP I did the research.

Again why in the world would anyone say(rightfully they don't) "Noone has ever won a Super Bowl when accounting for 13% of the CAP or more, except Steve Young"
When they easily could and do bump it by 1% to "Noone has ever won a Super Bowl when accounting for 14% of the CAP or more"

No we wait and see if common sense prevails

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Maybe use common sense when you post? As you can see from the OP I did the research.

Again why in the world would anyone say(rightfully they don't) "Noone has ever won a Super Bowl when accounting for 13% of the CAP or more, except Steve Young"
When they easily could and do bump it by 1% to "Noone has ever won a Super Bowl when accounting for 14% of the CAP or more"

No we wait and see if common sense prevails

Ok you want to play lets play, the point is that 13 seems to be the number because it was only exceeded once in the salary cap era and by a very minimal amount, trying to push the number to 14% is ridiculous, you would have been more honest if you had said nobody has ever won the SB in the salary cap era while having a cap hit of 13.11% (since Steve young did it at 13.10), strange how nobody else has ever exceeded 13% but you want to now push the bar to 14%.

The 1st link i gave you only goes to 2017 but we know Mahomes last year was on a rookie deal and was no where near it and Brady i think in 2018 was around 11.5%, funny how you want to talk about 14 percent, you should go back and look to see if any QB has ever won other than Young at even 12% of the total cap, has never happenned

Last edited:

Corso

Reaction score
The Cowboys just so happen to have the stars align and they win the SB this year with their 15% taking QB?

I am going to LAUGH!!!!

They don't? I'm still going to laugh.
Won't be as hearty a laugh...

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Ok you want to play lets play, the point is that 13 seems to be the number because it was only exceeded once in the salary cap era and by a very minimal amount, trying to push the number to 14% is ridiculous, you would have been more honest if you had said nobody has ever won the SB in the salary cap era while having a cap hit of 13.11% (since Steve young did it at 13.10), strange how nobody else has ever exceeded 13% but you want to now push the bar to 14%.

The 1st link i gave you only goes to 2017 but we know Mahomes last year was on a rookie deal and was no where near it and Brady i think in 2018 was around 11.5%, funny how you want to talk about 14 percent, you should go back and look to see if any QB has ever won other than Young at even 12% of the total cap, has never happenned

So answer this

Why wouldn't they use 12% then? There was not one single QB between 12%-13%. You said you were ready to play

You got to research my dude

acer941

Reaction score
Getting to a Super Bowl or winning one takes a good QB with some good pieces around him, that’s correct. But where I think the difference is..

Can the QB throw the team on his back and carry the team when... an injury happens to a key player, Big primetime games or the 1st&2nd round of playoffs when the rest of the team isn’t clicking well.

When things go bad to worse can He be counted on to make a play.

If a QB can then i believe he has the right to break the bank(set the market).

If not then doesn’t deserve that amount of money.

Side note: If I recall, last time Zeke was out for a extended amount of time...
Dak Struggled.

Dak has improved a lot since then, so maybe he’s capable now...

BigD_95

Reaction score
Whether those 27 players not winning a Super Bowl validates the claim is sort of irrelevant.

What is relevant, though, is the element of common sense when it comes to allocating funds in a restricted market.

Giving one player too much money will inherently make it more difficult to acquire/keep enough talent to sustain team success. Key words for those who love to argue: MORE DIFFICULT; not impossible. All-world talent like Mahomes or Brady or Favre were/are so good that they can take a bigger piece of the $$% and still have a chance to win Super Bowls, but that’s because they’re capable of putting the team on their back. In my opinion, Dak cannot do that, and that’s why he is unworthy of 14%+ of the cap.

what he said !