14% of salary cap myth

conner01

Reaction score
One thing, the number is 13% not 14%....only one team in the salary cap era has ever won a SB with a QB who's cap percentage was over 13% and that was Steve Young who had a cap hit of 13.10% the year he won the SB, no other team has ever won a SB with a QB taking up over 13% of the salary cap
What about other positions?

Qcard

Reaction score
It's been said ad nauseam amongst those against resigning our QB1 that no QB that has taken up 14% or more of CAP wins the Super Bowl.

Firstly only one QB wins the SB every year making it very unlikely accomplishment. Now let's dive into the numbers.

Heading into 2020 there are only three players with CAP hits that represent 14% or more, those are Goff, Wilson, and the highest CAP hit being Mr. Dak Prescott. So if you believe in the 14% myth you should want us to resign him immedsitely to lower that CAP hit.

In 2019 only 3 QBs hit the 14% mark again. Those being Cousins, Rodgers, and Stafford. As we know the Packers and Vikings had no issues putting good rosters around their QBs despite the large CAP hit.

In 2018 anybody want to take a guess as to how many hit it? YES YOURE RIGHT, 3! Carr, Stafford, and Jimmy G.

How about 2017? Anybody anybody? Correct it was only 3 again those being Flacco, Palmer, and Cousins.

In 2016 that number jumped up to a whopping 5 QBs, which you'll see seems to be an anomaly. Eli, Big Ben, Ryan, Flacco, and Stafford taking those honors.

2015 had two with only Brees and Rivers.

2014 also only had two with Eli and Big Ben

2013 saw that number jump to 4 with Brees, Manning, Stafford, and Eli.

2012 only had one with Peyton Manning

2011 also only had one with Sanchez

2010 was uncapped

2009 had two with only Manning and McNabb

2008 had Manning all by himself

2007 didn't have any

2006 didn't have any

2005 None

2004 want to guess? Yes you're right

You get the point

So when someone uses the argument of "No team has won SB(very unlikely event in the first place) if they've taken up 14% or more of CAP". What they are actually saying is that over the course of the last 15+ years that these 27 players(out of 500ish starting QBs) didn't win the Super Bowl so therefore it is impossible.
Yes Yes Yes :clap::hammer:

The Cap Hell Myth is a fabrication of lazy GMs and cheap Owners...

In Stephen's case he's not lazy but because of his connection to Jerry being COO and son will always cause him to negotiate hard but Stephen is also a GREAT compromiser.

I believe if he felt the way about Dak as he did Johnny Manziel there is no way Cowboys tag or resign Dak.

Stephen always has the last fire extinguisher!

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
So answer this

Why wouldn't they use 12% then? There was not one single QB between 12%-13%. You said you were ready to play

You got to research my dude

Because the stat says 13% are you dense? I was just pointing out that 13% was the exception and nobody else has ever had at leaest 12%. I'm not the guy trying to push it to 14%

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
What about other positions?

There is a stat out there, i would have to look for it again that includes the QB and any other player on the team that totals 21% (i think) of the cap that says no team has ever won a SB in the salary cap era when 2 players take up that much of the cap on a team

dwreck27

Reaction score
People defending paying Dak when Dak choked when Zeke got suspended on that 6game stretch..

then followed up by needing a midseason deal for trading a 1st round pick and paying top WR pay to Cooper to help pick up his passing numbers

yeah Dak should be happy to be CURRENTLY paid at a Top 5 QB money... not Top 3 and damn sure not Top.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's been said ad nauseam amongst those against resigning our QB1 that no QB that has taken up 14% or more of CAP wins the Super Bowl.

Firstly only one QB wins the SB every year making it very unlikely accomplishment. Now let's dive into the numbers.

Heading into 2020 there are only three players with CAP hits that represent 14% or more, those are Goff, Wilson, and the highest CAP hit being Mr. Dak Prescott. So if you believe in the 14% myth you should want us to resign him immedsitely to lower that CAP hit.

In 2019 only 3 QBs hit the 14% mark again. Those being Cousins, Rodgers, and Stafford. As we know the Packers and Vikings had no issues putting good rosters around their QBs despite the large CAP hit.

In 2018 anybody want to take a guess as to how many hit it? YES YOURE RIGHT, 3! Carr, Stafford, and Jimmy G.

How about 2017? Anybody anybody? Correct it was only 3 again those being Flacco, Palmer, and Cousins.

In 2016 that number jumped up to a whopping 5 QBs, which you'll see seems to be an anomaly. Eli, Big Ben, Ryan, Flacco, and Stafford taking those honors.

2010 was uncapped

2007 didn't have any

2006 didn't have any

2005 None

14% still too much to pay one player....in my humble opinion

You get the point

So when someone uses the argument of "No team has won SB(very unlikely event in the first place) if they've taken up 14% or more of CAP". What they are actually saying is that over the course of the last 15+ years that these 27 players(out of 500ish starting QBs) didn't win the Super Bowl so therefore it is impossible.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Right now we have about 5 million in cap space. Yet we are not as good as we were last year. Yes we could make some space but barring injury it's unlikely. As hyped as we all are over guys we draft its unlikely we get 5 year 1 starters out of 1 draft. And even if Smith or randy pan out they are gone the following year. Doubt the cap situation gets better next year as well. So basically we have about as much talent as they can or want to squeeze onto a roster. If we're lucky we make the playoffs, maybe.

Flamma

Reaction score

2010 was uncapped

2007 didn't have any

2006 didn't have any

2005 None

You get the point

Me personally, I think it's more coincidence than anything else. But there might be something to it when you get to a certain level. But like you pointed out, there really aren't that many opportunities.

As far as signing Dak to get a lower cap hit, it's not going to be too much lower due to the fact he played out his entire rookie deal. No extra year to dump bonus money. If he signs at 35 Mil per, we might see 30-32 mil cap hit early on. Not much less.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Me personally, I think it's more coincidence than anything else. But there might be something to it when you get to a certain level. But like you pointed out, there really aren't that many opportunities.

As far as signing Dak to get a lower cap hit, it's not going to be too much lower due to the fact he played out his entire rookie deal. No extra year to dump bonus money. If he signs at 35 Mil per, we might see 30-32 mil cap hit early on. Not much less.

I disagree with the op on the bolded part you pointed out. There are 32 opportunities every year for a team to win a SB and there are always a 2,4 5 teams who's QB's take up more than 13% of the cap and yet none of those teams ever win the SB except once in the salary cap ere when San Fran back in 94 allocated 13.10% of their cap to Steve Young, when you look closer at the numbers it also shows you that in the salary cap era no team has won a SB with a QB who's cap percentage was over 12%, which means that even Steve Young should be considered an anomaly at 13.10%, for the op to use 14% as his base is just very far fetched

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I disagree with the op on the bolded part you pointed out. There are 32 opportunities every year for a team to win a SB and there are always a 2,4 5 teams who's QB's take up more than 13% of the cap and yet none of those teams ever win the SB except once in the salary cap ere when San Fran back in 94 allocated 13.10% of their cap to Steve Young, when you look closer at the numbers it also shows you that in the salary cap era no team has won a SB with a QB who's cap percentage was over 12%, which means that even Steve Young should be considered an anomaly at 13.10%, for the op to use 14% as his base is just very far fetched
:facepalm:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Whether those 27 players not winning a Super Bowl validates the claim is sort of irrelevant.

What is relevant, though, is the element of common sense when it comes to allocating funds in a restricted market.

Giving one player too much money will inherently make it more difficult to acquire/keep enough talent to sustain team success. Key words for those who love to argue: MORE DIFFICULT; not impossible. All-world talent like Mahomes or Brady or Favre were/are so good that they can take a bigger piece of the $$% and still have a chance to win Super Bowls, but that’s because they’re capable of putting the team on their back. In my opinion, Dak cannot do that, and that’s why he is unworthy of 14%+ of the cap.

except for the fact that many of the key players have already signed multi year contracts. within a year or 2 Dak contract is not going to look overwhelming it will be along the line of avg as others surpass him as they become FA and sign larger deals.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
except for the fact that many of the key players have already signed multi year contracts. within a year or 2 Dak contract is not going to look overwhelming it will be along the line of avg as others surpass him as they become FA and sign larger deals.
That might be true. Kinda depends if the cap keeps increasing. I’m curious to see if the virus situation has any impact on the salary cap, similar to what’s its doing to the overall economy. I doubt the cap will decrease, but it may start leveling off and if so, $35-40mil/yr for Dak will still look pretty inflated imo.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That might be true. Kinda depends if the cap keeps increasing. I’m curious to see if the virus situation has any impact on the salary cap, similar to what’s its doing to the overall economy. I doubt the cap will decrease, but it may start leveling off and if so, $35-40mil/yr for Dak will still look pretty inflated imo.

I think when players, agents and owners all know the new TV contract are coming due and even with the virus the amount that are predicting is double what they currently pay. CBS 1 Billion will go over 2 Billion yearly paid to the NFL, FOX is 1.1 Billion a year currently that will double as well. Sunday Night, Monday night and Thursday night will also be increased substantially. For this season we likely will have no or few fans in attendance but I'm sorry I don't think that is how it will continue to be. Then again I'm not one who believes the sky is falling and this is the new normal where people live in their homes never to leave again. I think this will be put behind us and life will move on. Then again that is just me

kskboys

Reaction score
Whether those 27 players not winning a Super Bowl validates the claim is sort of irrelevant.

What is relevant, though, is the element of common sense when it comes to allocating funds in a restricted market.

Giving one player too much money will inherently make it more difficult to acquire/keep enough talent to sustain team success. Key words for those who love to argue: MORE DIFFICULT; not impossible. All-world talent like Mahomes or Brady or Favre were/are so good that they can take a bigger piece of the $$% and still have a chance to win Super Bowls, but that’s because they’re capable of putting the team on their back. In my opinion, Dak cannot do that, and that’s why he is unworthy of 14%+ of the cap.
Well said.

Overpaying any player thwarts super bowl contention. Latest example is Russell Wilson, who is now complaining about the players around him. You got your 35 million, Mr. Wilson, this is the bed you made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think when players, agents and owners all know the new TV contract are coming due and even with the virus the amount that are predicting is double what they currently pay. CBS 1 Billion will go over 2 Billion yearly paid to the NFL, FOX is 1.1 Billion a year currently that will double as well. Sunday Night, Monday night and Thursday night will also be increased substantially. For this season we likely will have no or few fans in attendance but I'm sorry I don't think that is how it will continue to be. Then again I'm not one who believes the sky is falling and this is the new normal where people live in their homes never to leave again. I think this will be put behind us and life will move on. Then again that is just me

without elaborating, I agree with you — this isn’t the new normal. Better not be, anyway!! I know there’s an entire forum dedicated to this talk, though, so I’ll just leave it at that haha.

I wasn’t aware the TV contracts were taking that drastic of a bump, but if that’s the case, I agree with you on the first point also. No reason to believe that the cap will keep increasing

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well said.

Overpaying any player thwarts super bowl contention. Latest example is Russell Wilson, who is now complaining about the players around him. You got your 35 million, Mr. Wilson, this is the bed you made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
100% agree. I’m obviously not in their shoes, but I THINK if I were someone of Dak or Wilson’s stature, I’d be willing to marginally sacrifice some contract money for the sake of team success.

Especially since both are high character guys who make a TON of endorsement money. Idk though, just my perspective