14% of salary cap myth

kskboys

Reaction score
100% agree. I’m obviously not in their shoes, but I THINK if I were someone of Dak or Wilson’s stature, I’d be willing to marginally sacrifice some contract money for the sake of team success.

Especially since both are high character guys who make a TON of endorsement money. Idk though, just my perspective
There's no real difference in making 30 million/season as opposed to 35 million/season. There is nothing you can do w/ 120 million that you can't do w/ 110 million.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's been said ad nauseam amongst those against resigning our QB1 that no QB that has taken up 14% or more of CAP wins the Super Bowl.

Firstly only one QB wins the SB every year making it very unlikely accomplishment. Now let's dive into the numbers.

Heading into 2020 there are only three players with CAP hits that represent 14% or more, those are Goff, Wilson, and the highest CAP hit being Mr. Dak Prescott. So if you believe in the 14% myth you should want us to resign him immedsitely to lower that CAP hit.

In 2019 only 3 QBs hit the 14% mark again. Those being Cousins, Rodgers, and Stafford. As we know the Packers and Vikings had no issues putting good rosters around their QBs despite the large CAP hit.

In 2018 anybody want to take a guess as to how many hit it? YES YOURE RIGHT, 3! Carr, Stafford, and Jimmy G.

How about 2017? Anybody anybody? Correct it was only 3 again those being Flacco, Palmer, and Cousins.

In 2016 that number jumped up to a whopping 5 QBs, which you'll see seems to be an anomaly. Eli, Big Ben, Ryan, Flacco, and Stafford taking those honors.

2015 had two with only Brees and Rivers.

2014 also only had two with Eli and Big Ben

2013 saw that number jump to 4 with Brees, Manning, Stafford, and Eli.

2012 only had one with Peyton Manning

2011 also only had one with Sanchez

2010 was uncapped

2009 had two with only Manning and McNabb

2008 had Manning all by himself

2007 didn't have any

2006 didn't have any

2005 None

2004 want to guess? Yes you're right

You get the point

So when someone uses the argument of "No team has won SB(very unlikely event in the first place) if they've taken up 14% or more of CAP". What they are actually saying is that over the course of the last 15+ years that these 27 players(out of 500ish starting QBs) didn't win the Super Bowl so therefore it is impossible.

Dak annual average will only exceed 14% of the cap for 1 season.

There have been QBs whose annual average exceeded 14% when signed but not the season that QB won the Super Bowl.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
My personal rule of thumb: ignore any statement that begins with "any team that's won the Super Bowl has..." because it's going to be based on very small sample size and half of that sample's just the Patriots.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yep...……….been saying for a while. There are so few at that number that its not something you can gauge. Not to mention the fact that Brady has won half of them over that time which completely messes up the formula. Brady is an outlier.
When your wife makes 40 million plus annually, its easy to just play the game on the field and not worry about what your agent is whispering in your ear.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Whether those 27 players not winning a Super Bowl validates the claim is sort of irrelevant.

What is relevant, though, is the element of common sense when it comes to allocating funds in a restricted market.

Giving one player too much money will inherently make it more difficult to acquire/keep enough talent to sustain team success. Key words for those who love to argue: MORE DIFFICULT; not impossible. All-world talent like Mahomes or Brady or Favre were/are so good that they can take a bigger piece of the $$% and still have a chance to win Super Bowls, but that’s because they’re capable of putting the team on their back. In my opinion, Dak cannot do that, and that’s why he is unworthy of 14%+ of the cap.
Totally agree! These QB salaries have risen so fast that Im waiting for them to crash like the stock market. You just cant pay average top money.

Hadenough

Reaction score
When your wife makes 40 million plus annually, its easy to just play the game on the field and not worry about what your agent is whispering in your ear.
Heck Brady alone without his wifes salary still doesnt have a worry in the world. The dude is playing for the love of the game like players did 30 years ago.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
It's been said ad nauseam amongst those against resigning our QB1 that no QB that has taken up 14% or more of CAP wins the Super Bowl.

Firstly only one QB wins the SB every year making it very unlikely accomplishment. Now let's dive into the numbers.

Heading into 2020 there are only three players with CAP hits that represent 14% or more, those are Goff, Wilson, and the highest CAP hit being Mr. Dak Prescott. So if you believe in the 14% myth you should want us to resign him immedsitely to lower that CAP hit.

In 2019 only 3 QBs hit the 14% mark again. Those being Cousins, Rodgers, and Stafford. As we know the Packers and Vikings had no issues putting good rosters around their QBs despite the large CAP hit.

In 2018 anybody want to take a guess as to how many hit it? YES YOURE RIGHT, 3! Carr, Stafford, and Jimmy G.

How about 2017? Anybody anybody? Correct it was only 3 again those being Flacco, Palmer, and Cousins.

In 2016 that number jumped up to a whopping 5 QBs, which you'll see seems to be an anomaly. Eli, Big Ben, Ryan, Flacco, and Stafford taking those honors.

2015 had two with only Brees and Rivers.

2014 also only had two with Eli and Big Ben

2013 saw that number jump to 4 with Brees, Manning, Stafford, and Eli.

2012 only had one with Peyton Manning

2011 also only had one with Sanchez

2010 was uncapped

2009 had two with only Manning and McNabb

2008 had Manning all by himself

2007 didn't have any

2006 didn't have any

2005 None

2004 want to guess? Yes you're right

You get the point

So when someone uses the argument of "No team has won SB(very unlikely event in the first place) if they've taken up 14% or more of CAP". What they are actually saying is that over the course of the last 15+ years that these 27 players(out of 500ish starting QBs) didn't win the Super Bowl so therefore it is impossible.

So to be clear your argument that it can happen is that it's never happened?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Whether those 27 players not winning a Super Bowl validates the claim is sort of irrelevant.

What is relevant, though, is the element of common sense when it comes to allocating funds in a restricted market.

Giving one player too much money will inherently make it more difficult to acquire/keep enough talent to sustain team success. Key words for those who love to argue: MORE DIFFICULT; not impossible. All-world talent like Mahomes or Brady or Favre were/are so good that they can take a bigger piece of the $$% and still have a chance to win Super Bowls, but that’s because they’re capable of putting the team on their back. In my opinion, Dak cannot do that, and that’s why he is unworthy of 14%+ of the cap.
not disagreeing with you, but what may be 14% of cap today, may not be 14% of cap next year or the year after based on contract structure. Eli, when he signed his first big contract, took about 13% of the cap. but he went on to win two superbowls, since the cap went up and his salary was no longer hinderence to them signing players.....furthermore caps have been manipulated for years, pushing money into the future, knowing at some point, you cut the players, take deadmoney and work towards rebuilding. dynasties like New England are almost impossible to have. but any team that we consider to be competitive for superbowls, year in year out, has a QB, like Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, etc.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The real management of the team basically said it as well.

Dak’s just not good enough.. He needs to take less money because he isn’t an elite playmaking QB.
who is the real management of the team...this spin should be interesting

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There's only like 3 elite QBs in the league. He's good enough for us to win a championship, whether you want to realize that or not is up to you.

We had a Super Bowl offense two of our four years with Dak. Improve the defense, special teams, and coaching? We are there.
Only one of those three areas cost any sort of money.
coaching. coaching. coaching.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yeah so pay the elite guys and don’t get in the market of stupid.

Of course he’s good enough to win a championship with but he needs a lot around him.

Dak doesn’t do anything that is special on the football field. He’s replaceable.

Dalton could start this season and we’d see minimal difference.
show me the QBs that have won without a lot around them? this is another fallacy put forth by Dak detractors...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I've never heard heard the 14% argument. I just argue that the top paid QBs don't win super bowls often. It's too hard to build a good team around them

2019: Mahomes 31st highest paid
2018: Tom Brady 11th highest paid
2017: Nick Files 47th
2016: Tom Brady 18th
2015: Peyton Manning 6th
2014: Tom Brady 12th
2013: Russel Wilson 53rd
2012: Joe Flacco 17th
2011: Eli Manning 5th
2010: Aaron Rodgers 21st
2009: Drew Brees 14th
2008: Big Ben 11th

I could keep going but point proven
but when Joe Flacco signed his original contract he was at 14%. no? but subsequently, his salary wasn't....
same with Eli Manning. same with aaron Rodgers. same with drew brees. same with big ben.....not sure how close to top 5 was brady, I would have to check......

it maybe 14% when they sign...but in subsequent years, its not 14%....so signing a QB to a large contract, doesn't preclude you from winning a superbowl in the future.\

for example Jimmy G was at 14% of salary cap in 2018, but in 2019 he was not, since the cap went up!!! and SF made it to the superbowl…..

get it?

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The real management of the team basically said it as well.

Dak’s just not good enough.. He needs to take less money because he isn’t an elite playmaking QB.
How exactly has the "real management of the team" said this?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
but when Joe Flacco signed his original contract he was at 14%. no? but subsequently, his salary wasn't....
same with Eli Manning. same with aaron Rodgers. same with drew brees. same with big ben.....not sure how close to top 5 was brady, I would have to check......

it maybe 14% when they sign...but in subsequent years, its not 14%....so signing a QB to a large contract, doesn't preclude you from winning a superbowl in the future.

Can we just all agree that statistics can be manipulated :laugh:

I mean, we aren't talking about a sample size that any scientist would deem as appropriate to reach a conclusion. We are talking about a handful of situations, were even *if* said player counted 13.9% of the salary cap there is NOTHING to indicate that they would have won a super bowl that season.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Ok you want to play lets play, the point is that 13 seems to be the number because it was only exceeded once in the salary cap era and by a very minimal amount, trying to push the number to 14% is ridiculous, you would have been more honest if you had said nobody has ever won the SB in the salary cap era while having a cap hit of 13.11% (since Steve young did it at 13.10), strange how nobody else has ever exceeded 13% but you want to now push the bar to 14%.

The 1st link i gave you only goes to 2017 but we know Mahomes last year was on a rookie deal and was no where near it and Brady i think in 2018 was around 11.5%, funny how you want to talk about 14 percent, you should go back and look to see if any QB has ever won other than Young at even 12% of the total cap, has never happenned
So answer this

Why wouldn't they use 12% then? There was not one single QB between 12%-13%. You said you were ready to play

You got to research my dude
This is like watching an argument in the accounts dept. about whose turn it was to buy milk.

Swanny

Reaction score

it maybe 14% when they sign...but in subsequent years, its not 14%....so signing a QB to a large contract, doesn't preclude you from winning a superbowl in the future.\

for example Jimmy G was at 14% of salary cap in 2018, but in 2019 he was not, since the cap went up!!! and SF made it to the superbowl…..

get it?
I'm not arguing for or against your 14% thing. I'm saying top paid QBs don't win Super bowls

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
So to be clear your argument that it can happen is that it's never happened?

To be clear this shows a sample size of less than 2 QBs per year when only one QB a year wins the SB. It's adding clarity to the statement.

Hope this helps.