News: 19. Dallas Cowboys: Marcus Davenport, DE, Texas-San Antonio

cnuball21

Reaction score
Did pretty well at senior bowl against good competition. He's got the tools and size to be RDE. Also he's relentless.

I just looked up the OT's he played against and they'll be midnrounders at best.

Not sure I'd put a ton of stock in that.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I just looked up the OT's he played against and they'll be midnrounders at best.

you usually don't see teams take players at the same position in Rd 1 2yrs in a row.
DE last yr/DE this yr.
But...his size and athleticisim intrigues me.
Assuming Smith,Edmunds,James,Vea are off the board....Hurst,Payne,Davenport or one of the OGs would be tremendous in my view.

btcutter

Reaction score

That's best we have on his evaluation. He's projection is all about upside 3 years from now. Certainly an ascending player.

cnuball21

Reaction score
you usually don't see teams take players at the same position in Rd 1 2yrs in a row.
DE last yr/DE this yr.
But...his size and athleticisim intrigues me.
Assuming Smith,Edmunds,James,Vea are off the board....Hurst,Payne,Davenport or one of the OGs would be tremendous in my view.

Oh it intrigues me for sure but not at 19. If I'm picking in the top 20 I'm not drafting a small school traits player.

If those guys fly off the board and you want an edge rusher Landry is way, way, way more polished and natural rushing the edge.

cnuball21

Reaction score
That's best we have on his evaluation. He's projection is all about upside 3 years from now. Certainly an ascending player.

Fair enough, and I agree, but IMO you don't take that player at 19.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Oh it intrigues me for sure but not at 19. If I'm picking in the top 20 I'm not drafting a small school traits player.

If those guys fly off the board and you want an edge rusher Landry is way, way, way more polished and natural rushing the edge.
I like Landry also...what are your thoughts on Ohio St DE Sam Hubbard?
His tape v Michigan last yr is fun to watch...I dont think they were able to put him on the ground.I love his relentlessness....has tremendous "feel" too.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I like Landry also...what are your thoughts on Ohio St DE Sam Hubbard?
His tape v Michigan last yr is fun to watch...I dont think they were able to put him on the ground.I love his relentlessness....has tremendous "feel" too.

I see Hubbard as a higher floor lower ceiling prospect.

Not sure he's atchletic enough to ever be a great pass rusher but I can see him turning to into a guy that gives you a handful of sacks a year while playing good run D.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I see Hubbard as a higher floor lower ceiling prospect.

Not sure he's atchletic enough to ever be a great pass rusher but I can see him turning to into a guy that gives you a handful of sacks a year while playing good run D.
very fair.
Not sure if they will go DE...if they do...Davenport fits their template.
I think DT is more pressing need tho.
Too many players I like at 19.

why are people "cooling" on Landry???
he's gone from top 15 to bottom of Rd 1.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm waiting to see Hubbard at the Combine. I've got nothing objective to go by, but just off the eye test, I think he's more athletic that some think.

Just throwing out a guess now, I'll say he puts up a SPARQ score in the 60th percentile range. For comparison, Taco was like a 45 or 48% last year (although it should be noted that SPARQ doesn't factor in height).

cowboyec

Reaction score
Davenport won’t do anything year 1, I hope y’all realize that. If you hated Taco you’ll def hate Davenport
I love Taco...he got better as the season wore on.
With all the chatter surrounding Irving....Davenport could be his replacement...emphasis on COULD.
With DLaw,Taco and Davenport....thats a helluva trio at DE.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I'm waiting to see Hubbard at the Combine. I've got nothing objective to go by, but just off the eye test, I think he's more athletic that some think.

Just throwing out a guess now, I'll say he puts up a SPARQ score in the 60th percentile range. For comparison, Taco was like a 45 or 48% last year (although it should be noted that SPARQ doesn't factor in height).
I love his tape vs Michigan.....he is fun to watch.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Davenport won’t do anything year 1, I hope y’all realize that. If you hated Taco you’ll def hate Davenport

Taco was considered raw and was still way more polished.

You saw him with by bending the edge, a bull rush and a spin move against decent competition.

DanA

Reaction score
Would hate this pick.

I'm looking for us to play safe going interior D or O. Unless by some freak occurrence James or Ridley are there at or close to 19.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Would hate this pick.

I'm looking for us to play safe going interior D or O. Unless by some freak occurrence James or Ridley are there at or close to 19.

Yup, I think at this point my short list would be:

Ridley
James
Hurst
Vea
Payne
Landry

or trade back and rake a G...

cowboyec

Reaction score
interesting note on Marcus Davenport....he took 18 credit hrs during the fall so he could graduate ahead of schedule.
seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

btcutter

Reaction score

We picked Ware at 11. He was from small school Troy. Ware probably slightly more polished but still it was about his upside that we picked.