News: 19. Dallas Cowboys: Marcus Davenport, DE, Texas-San Antonio

DanA

Reaction score
We picked Ware at 11. He was from small school Troy. Ware probably slightly more polished but still it was about his upside that we picked.

Is it projected Davenport will have the sort of combine Ware had? I know Davenport is athletic but Ware was pretty special. That could go a ways to changing my thinking.

btcutter

Reaction score
Would hate this pick.

I'm looking for us to play safe going interior D or O. Unless by some freak occurrence James or Ridley are there at or close to 19.

Unless James, Ridley, Vea or Smith are available I am fine with Davenport. RDE is hard to find. Only reason he would be available at 19 is because he's an unfinished product from small school. Put him in on 3rd downs to rush the passer along with Irving, Collins, Lawrence. Rotate in Tank and Crawford and add another 1 tech DT in 3rd round makes this DL like G men of 2008.

DanA

Reaction score
Unless James, Ridley, Vea or Smith are available I am fine with Davenport. RDE is hard to find. Only reason he would be available at 19 is because he's an unfinished product from small school. Put him in on 3rd downs to rush the passer along with Irving, Collins, Lawrence. Rotate in Tank and Crawford and add another 1 tech DT in 3rd round makes this DL like G men of 2008.

I’ve got about 5 more names I’d add such as Wynn and Payne that I fully expect to be there and IMO would have a much bigger impact than a 3rd down rusher that’s learning to play.

Maybe Davenport turns into the next Tank Lawrence but I think you’re banking on at best 2-3 years of good production where as at 19 I want the full 5 years.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
He is rated a 1st or 2nd round pick and is still growing bulk wise

cnuball21

Reaction score
We picked Ware at 11. He was from small school Troy. Ware probably slightly more polished but still it was about his upside that we picked.

I think you're severely underpaying how good Ware was as a prospect. Not only was his tape phenomenal, but he was an absolute freak athlete.

While he went to a small school, he was already natural rushing the passer and had elite traits.

btcutter

Reaction score
Is it projected Davenport will have the sort of combine Ware had? I know Davenport is athletic but Ware was pretty special. That could go a ways to changing my thinking.

We won't know until combine but this kid is already 6'7 260 with all the tools. If he has number anywhere close to Ware he won't last past top 15.

Reactions: BAT

btcutter

Reaction score
I’ve got about 5 more names I’d add such as Wynn and Payne that I fully expect to be there and IMO would have a much bigger impact than a 3rd down rusher that’s learning to play.

Maybe Davenport turns into the next Tank Lawrence but I think you’re banking on at best 2-3 years of good production where as at 19 I want the full 5 years.

You maybe able to talk me into Payne but this is also a guy who look like Tarzan but plays like Jane 90% of his career. You are picking Payne based off 1-2 great game tape out his entire career. How is that different than picking Davenport off potential.

I have to disagree with you on drafting a G at 19. I believe in allocation of resources much like Dane Brugler. We don't need 5 pro bowlers at OL. We desperately need pro bowl player on DL, LB, S. Adding a G unlikely add 2 wins to our total but a good DT, DE may.

cowboyec

Reaction score
If the Cowboys are preparing to move on from Irving(either this year or next),Marcus Davenport makes a ton of sense...6-7,tremendous athleticness....has a good head on his shoulders.I have a feeling he has a solid showing at the combine and goes before 19.
If he is on the board when we pick,it will be difficult to pass him.

Reactions: BAT
Reaction score
If we're taking a DE, I prefer Sam Hubbard.
I'm a lifelong Buckeye fan, & I would never put Hubbard in front of Davenport. Hubbard needs other quality players around him. Davenport, if you look only at the Senior Bowl, & that's really the only game he's played where he went against some of the top OL in the draft. He was SO dominant in that game, that the North coaches were having him chipped after the first series. It didn't matter. Whether he played DE base, DT3, or DE weak, NO North offensive lineman could block him consistently. Dude was a Tasmanian Devil out there, just destroying players & blowing up plays. If I'm the Browns, I take him at 4-that's how great I think this kid is going to be, once he actually knows what he's doing, & has a plan past the first move.

Reaction score
I'm a lifelong Buckeye fan, & I would never put Hubbard in front of Davenport. Hubbard needs other quality players around him. Davenport, if you look only at the Senior Bowl, & that's really the only game he's played where he went against some of the top talent in the draft, he is special. He was SO dominant in that game that the North coaches were having him chipped after the first series, when he blew past Pitt's Brian O'Neil for a sack on 3rd down. It didn't matter. Whether he played base DE, DT3, or weak DE, NO North offensive lineman could block him consistently. Dude was a Tasmanian Devil out there, just destroying & blowing up plays. If I'm the Browns, I take him at 4-that's how great I think this kid is going to be, once he actually knows what he's doing, & has a plan past the first move. If he's there at 19, I'm drooling if I'm the Boys.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I'm a lifelong Buckeye fan, & I would never put Hubbard in front of Davenport. Hubbard needs other quality players around him. Davenport, if you look only at the Senior Bowl, & that's really the only game he's played where he went against some of the top OL in the draft. He was SO dominant in that game, that the North coaches were having him chipped after the first series. It didn't matter. Whether he played DE base, DT3, or DE weak, NO North offensive lineman could block him consistently. Dude was a Tasmanian Devil out there, just destroying players & blowing up plays. If I'm the Browns, I take him at 4-that's how great I think this kid is going to be, once he actually knows what he's doing, & has a plan past the first move.

Davenport beat the top OTs in the draft at the Senior Bowl? Am I missing something here?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
We won't know until combine but this kid is already 6'7 260 with all the tools. If he has number anywhere close to Ware he won't last past top 15.

He will be overdrafted, he has freakish measurables.

DanA

Reaction score
You maybe able to talk me into Payne but this is also a guy who look like Tarzan but plays like Jane 90% of his career. You are picking Payne based off 1-2 great game tape out his entire career. How is that different than picking Davenport off potential.

I have to disagree with you on drafting a G at 19. I believe in allocation of resources much like Dane Brugler. We don't need 5 pro bowlers at OL. We desperately need pro bowl player on DL, LB, S. Adding a G unlikely add 2 wins to our total but a good DT, DE may.

Respect your opinion and Dane’s too, he does a rediculous amount of work which makes him the best out their IMO.

But I fundamentally disagree with the guard stuff. I think it puts us over the edge as a running team and allows us to control the clock more. In terms of adding wins short-term I don’t think there is a more important position in the draft for Dallas.

And I think Payne has a lot of good tape over a couple of years, just average production in part because he played nose in Bama’s 3-4. I think he’s the opposite of Davenport in that he’s ready made with a lot of tools.

cowboyec

Reaction score
with his measurables and a good combine....he'll be off the board in the top 15.
so selfishly I hope he does just so-so.
I love that he did extra hours to graduate early....he's got a good head on his shoulders.
He's special.....raw.....but special.
I'm an easy mark for 6-7 DEs....paired with Taco.....WOW.

Reaction score
Davenport beat the top OTs in the draft at the Senior Bowl? Am I missing something here?
I said "SOME" of the top OTs. Please be accurate if you're going to quote me. Terrell Crosby, Brian O'Neil, Will Hernandez, & Mason Cole on the North squad, & Brandon Parker, Alex Cappa, Brad Bozeman, & Austin Golson on the South squad are nothing to sneeze at. Parker played so well that some mocks have him in the 2nd round. I included some OGs, because he played some DT3, & got the best of every one of them. Let me share some facts about Davenport for you. He measured almost 6-6, 260 with 34" arms. That adds up to an 82" wingspan! According to PFF, he ranked 4th among edge rushers this past season, & that was before the Senior Bowl. He is raw, but is so athletic, tenacious, strong & hungry, he has scouts drooling over his potential. Add to that his incredible length & frame, which should allow him to gain 10-20 lbs. of muscle, & I believe he will become one of the best edge rushers in the league by year three of his career. The Cowboys don't have one single rusher they can depend on. Which means they NEED one.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Let me compliment some pretty good contributions to the draft zone this season...we're still missing some of the 'regulars' from our board's past?

cnuball21

Reaction score
I said "SOME" of the top OTs. Please be accurate if you're going to quote me. Terrell Crosby, Brian O'Neil, Will Hernandez, & Mason Cole on the North squad, & Brandon Parker, Alex Cappa, Brad Bozeman, & Austin Golson on the South squad are nothing to sneeze at. Parker played so well that some mocks have him in the 2nd round. I included some OGs, because he played some DT3, & got the best of every one of them. Let me share some facts about Davenport for you. He measured almost 6-6, 260 with 34" arms. That adds up to an 82" wingspan! According to PFF, he ranked 4th among edge rushers this past season, & that was before the Senior Bowl. He is raw, but is so athletic, tenacious, strong & hungry, he has scouts drooling over his potential. Add to that his incredible length & frame, which should allow him to gain 10-20 lbs. of muscle, & I believe he will become one of the best edge rushers in the league by year three of his career. The Cowboys don't have one single rusher they can depend on. Which means they NEED one.

I get what you're saying, but the tackles at the Sr. Bowl were a bunch of mid rounders at best.

The best OL talent was interior guys like Wynn and Hernandez.

Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but the tackles at the Sr. Bowl were a bunch of mid rounders at best.

The best OL talent was interior guys like Wynn and Hernandez.
Brian O'Neil is not a mid rounder. He is projected to go bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd. Crosby is a top 3rd OT. Besides, since we last talked, Davenport ran an insane 4.58 40 at the Combine! That's at 6-6, 260. No one his size ran that fast. The kid is a physical freak with an endless motor. If he lasts past #15 next month, I will be shocked.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I wouldn't hate drafting Davenport at 19...just don't think he'll be there.
Makes alot of sense tho if he is the pick.
And his selection in no way is a knock against Taco but has everything to do with David Irving and his future here.