News: 19. Dallas Cowboys: Marcus Davenport, DE, Texas-San Antonio

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Immense talent and plays with his hair on fire. He is a better long term prospect than Taco but Taco would see the field much more in 2018.

Probably wouldn't see the field a ton in 2018, but thats not really what Im looking for in a DE. I do think he would be able to log a decent snap count in his rookie year as an effort playee. Id be very happy with the pick because it moves us towards having a potentially dominant pass rush.

Im a big Taco supporter, but Im also very greedy when it comes to pass rushers :thumbup:
Big risk.

He is impressive but...
A of his rushing success is on power moves.
He doesn't show much edge bend.
His 10-yard time of 1.62 is only 0.01 better than Taco's of 1.63 but Taco weighed 8 more pounds.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Big risk.

He is impressive but...
A of his rushing success is on power moves.
He doesn't show much edge bend.
His 10-yard time of 1.62 is only 0.01 better than Taco's of 1.63 but Taco weighed 8 more pounds.
His agility drills at the combine scared me a bit. He may be more of a straight line player. He seems like a high motor guy and that could help.

I can almost see him as a 6 and a 9 gap rusher without the requisite bend to rush from the 7.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Just got watching three games of him and the Senior Bowl and wow, uh wow. True his lat agility is not the same as Demarcus Ware or Clowney etc. but he has that type of explosion and strength. He doesn't use his hands well, but somehow leverages tackles up off their feet and tosses them back or to the side.

I would compare him to that guy the Steelers drafted, Alvin "Bud" Dupree except Davenport has a nose for the ball and plays the run well, so basically a better version of that guy.

Aside from him being raw, two things scare me, he played mostly from a two-point stance, and he might still be better as a LE he can play with power and sniffs out the run well. I think if he develops a repertoire of moves and technique he will be a 13-16 sack guy from the RE.