Video: 1967 Ice Bowl documentary

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this was the film done by Don Meredith’s son, it’s great. Worth the watch.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ve always wondered why more wasn’t made of the NFL Championship game the season before in the Cotton Bowl which the Ice Bowl was a rematch of. It was just as much of a heartbreak for us.

So much is made of the Ice Bowl but the 1966 game was a classic as well. I understand the significance of the rematch but the first championship game was just as important.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I’ve always wondered why more wasn’t made of the NFL Championship game the season before in the Cotton Bowl which the Ice Bowl was a rematch of. It was just as much of a heartbreak for us.

So much is made of the Ice Bowl but the 1966 game was a classic as well. I understand the significance of the rematch but the first championship game was just as important.
True but back then it was just a game, no film or tape of that exists as far as I know.
The Ice Bowl was a big deal because of the extreme weather conditions.
Still the coldest game ever I think.

The packer coaches noticed a flaw with jethro pugh not going low enough, and they exploited that on the final td and qb sneak, they knew
they could get under him and push him back.
Hayes did give plays away, and evidently landry didnt notice it but the packer players did.

The cowboys also went up there with no winter gear lol, and the front blew in early, and they had to go shopping and buy
what they could.

Flamma

Reaction score
True but back then it was just a game, no film or tape of that exists as far as I know.

The only other game I could think of was the 1981 AFC championship game (Freezer Bowl) between the Bengals and Chargers in regards to the cold. I'm finding similar results whenever I look them up. I'm seeing both at or near -9 degrees with similar wind chills of anywhere between -30s to -50s. Regardless of which was colder, I highly doubt any of us could tell the difference with that kind of cold.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
This legendary fearsome footballish feat of frigidly famed frozen fortitude fell to the former time of my focused fandom,unfortunatelyo_O

*definitely gonna' enjoy watching the provided link though,THANKS:thumbup:
:starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin:

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Both starting QBs are no longer with us.
Frank Gifford's coffee froze in a matter of minutes.
Packers figured out if Dallas was going to run or pass because Bob Hayes would put his hands in his pockets on running plays.

Frank Gifford from MNF?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The packer coaches noticed a flaw with jethro pugh not going low enough, and they exploited that on the final td and qb sneak, they knew
Hayes did give plays away, and evidently landry didnt notice it but the packer players did.

The cowboys also went up there with no winter gear lol, and the front blew in early, and they had to go shopping and buy
what they could.
Of course there’s film of that game.

Here’s one sample.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/greatest-...FL-Championship-Packers-vs-Cowboys-highlights

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
If this board existed in the late 60s people would be making fun of Landry incessantly and calling for his job, calling him things like clueless. You'd have basement tough guys pissed that Landry didn't yell at his players enough and couldn't properly motivate them. They'd probably call him a robot and aloof. They'd say our roster is loaded and any coach could get the Cowboys to the NFL title game.

Flamma

Reaction score
Another thing I failed to consider in regards to the cold between the Ice Bowl and Freezer Bowl. The field in GB looked like it had been frozen over for some time leading up to that game. Making the field that much more unforgiving. That field had to be worse than the cold itself.

In Cinci, even though the field looked pristine, as if a cold front just came through with little to no snow, they were playing on that old artificial turf. I'm sure several of us had to chance to walk around or run on those fields? That stuff was crap. I wouldn't want to be tackled on that in the best of conditions, let alone -9 degrees. But I'll admit I don't know what happens to that turf when it gets that cold. But it can't get worse than the concrete earth.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
SHEESE! #74 said it was -69° below zero wind chill factor towards the end of the game,,,DID I HEAR THAT RIGHT?o_O

*at the 9:55 minute mark of the video, that JIM BEAM nipping cheese head fan was probably the dude who marketed those cheese wedge foam idiot headware casing-liners,,,ya, prolly he was ,I suspect:lmao:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If this board existed in the late 60s people would be making fun of Landry incessantly and calling for his job, calling him things like clueless. You'd have basement tough guys pissed that Landry didn't yell at his players enough and couldn't properly motivate them. They'd probably call him a robot and aloof. They'd say our roster is loaded and any coach could get the Cowboys to the NFL title game.
Landry was criticized back during that era. Receiving a 10 year extension before having a winning season was widely criticized.

And we were called “ next years champs” which was a bash on Tom for choking in championship games and early playoff exits as heavy favorites in 68, 69 and our 1st SB major choke.

When you consider Landry was in 12 championship games in 17 years, 7 in 10 years in 70’s, 5 Super Bowls and only came away with 2 Rings was one of the greatest coming up short in NFL history. The Cowboys has an opportunity to set some marks that might not ever be broken.

We arguably lost to some greater teams like the Packers and Steelers but we had great teams as well with opportunities to win all of those championships.

GenoT

Reaction score

what they could.
There’s film of the first Cowboys/Packers NFL Champ game, as there is for all such games since at least 1958. However, that first C/P game has never been considered — other than by Cowboys and Packers fans — to be a particularly iconic NFL moment, as the Ice Bowl has become.

Similarly, we always see replays of the Jets beating the Colts in SB III, but rarely ever see film of the Chiefs knocking the snot out of the Vikings in SB IV.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Simple. The weather.