Video: 1967 Ice Bowl documentary

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Back in the 60’s we didn’t have VCR’s. Most didn’t even have Color TV’s then. I think we had our 1st one about 1965. But VCR’s didn’t become mainstream until early 80’s. My 1st one was over $400 which was a lot back then.

And most families like ours only had 1TV in their house. I recall later in the 70’s when my parents had one in their bedroom which was quite a luxury. When we were in college had to go to Student building to watch TV.
Well vcrs were available to people with the money in like 74-75 the sony beta machine. before that there were video cameras, that could record like vhs
later did, but just no tv tuner.
people somehow got hold of film or tape copys, of the older games thru network tv people.
I paid $1000 for my first vcr, actually about 1200 with tax and some tapes included in 1980 .
It was the first model that had a infrared remote that I had seen, before that they had corded remotes.
It was a good vcr, lasted about 12 years. Mostly metal and fairly heavy.
The bad thing was that in 1980 tapes were $16-20 each !!

I too grew up where there was 1 tv and 1 phone a landline, people today could not handle that.
Add to that there were only 4 tv channels, the big 3 and a uhf channel that showed reruns.
If you missed a show , that was it ,if it was rerun you were lucky, as they didnt rerun all episodes, and if a show had low ratings or
was canceled then those were never rerun either.
Same thing for movies, if you dont go to theater, that was it , unless it showed up many years later in cut up form on tv.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Maybe you’re too young (?) to know this but by the @mid 1950s, the NFL began saving all its *Championship* games from the national TV feed.

The 1966 game exists on film in its entirety, however, the fact that it hasn’t been rebroadcast in full is a matter of choice of the copyright holders and those channels which may or may not have a financial interest in doing so.

I couldn’t find the 1966 game on YouTube, but here’s the 1961 NFL Champ game...

Well I find that hard to believe, it is possible, but like I said even nfl game pass did not have the 2 dallas champ games with GB.
they also did not have the first 2 SB's they had 3 and then it jumped to 7 .

And if some entity has the 67 or 66 champ game with GB dallas, why would they not want to sell it ??
pretty soon everyone who cares to see those will be dead , so I dont see why they want to keep it on a shelf.
Does not make sense.
I think many of the games were not kept, or something happened to the original copy, like a fire or water damage.
I have never seen that 1st gb dallas game anywhere as a full game or even partial game.
The ice bowl is not complete itself, it goes to audio only at some points.
They had to use what they had and still pictures and patch that one up to sort of be complete.

Google is now paying copyright holders fees if they will let vids stay up, and more nfl films are staying up as well as music stuff.

but I really dont think that game exists, it is possible, but so is winning the lottery or JG leading cowboys to SB the next 3 years in a row.
I would really like to see it, so if you ever locate it let me know.
I am going to check out the line diehard gave, actually I already DL it and will watch it later.
and most of the games on youtube have been put up by fans who taped them on vcr's , the older ones from fans who had some other source.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
You made me curious about that game, I will try and find out more about it or if it is on you tube.
Thing is in 81 teams had much better thermal underwear for cold games, and gloves that are better and made to handle a ball.
Better cloaks, and sideline heaters.
Back in 67 there were no gloves made for football players, and I wonder if they found thermal underwear, or just some sort of regular long
johns ?
The coldest weather I have been in is 13 degrees, and that is cold but with thermal und not too bad.
however I have been in a walk-in freezer that was 0 degrees, and that was cold, so I cant imagine
-9 with strong winds too. And then to be out there for 3 hour game , thats a long time in that type of cold
I don't believe those winter operations Ron Reagan ordered being conducted in northern Norway I took part in were as cold as that ice bowl environment (and that was about 30 days of living/operating in the snow&ice shards under foot,,,that's the coldest I'd ever been)

Birdgang

Reaction score
Well vcrs were available to people with the money in like 74-75 the sony beta machine. before that there were video cameras, that could record like vhs
later did, but just no tv tuner.
people somehow got hold of film or tape copys, of the older games thru network tv people.
I paid $1000 for my first vcr, actually about 1200 with tax and some tapes included in 1980 .
It was the first model that had a infrared remote that I had seen, before that they had corded remotes.
It was a good vcr, lasted about 12 years. Mostly metal and fairly heavy.
The bad thing was that in 1980 tapes were $16-20 each !!

I too grew up where there was 1 tv and 1 phone a landline, people today could not handle that.
Add to that there were only 4 tv channels, the big 3 and a uhf channel that showed reruns.
If you missed a show , that was it ,if it was rerun you were lucky, as they didnt rerun all episodes, and if a show had low ratings or
was canceled then those were never rerun either.
Same thing for movies, if you dont go to theater, that was it , unless it showed up many years later in cut up form on tv.

yet to the generation before you, they felt the same. My father made me get a real job at 12 " paid taxes but obviously limited hours during school year" .... Kids these days no dam way. I look at my 2 oldest and there is not a dam chance in hell.

Flamma

Reaction score
You made me curious about that game, I will try and find out more about it or if it is on you tube.
Thing is in 81 teams had much better thermal underwear for cold games, and gloves that are better and made to handle a ball.
Better cloaks, and sideline heaters.
Back in 67 there were no gloves made for football players, and I wonder if they found thermal underwear, or just some sort of regular long
johns ?
The coldest weather I have been in is 13 degrees, and that is cold but with thermal und not too bad.
however I have been in a walk-in freezer that was 0 degrees, and that was cold, so I cant imagine
-9 with strong winds too. And then to be out there for 3 hour game , thats a long time in that type of cold

It is on you tube. And yes you're right. They did have all kinds of heaters and looked better equipped.

To me 13 degrees is cold but still no need for anything thermal. I've been in wind chills from -10 to -50s. I can tell you that from -10 on up you don't notice the difference. It's brutal. But at -9 degrees with wind chills like that? That's even extreme where I live. That's like Michigan or Minnesota weather.

IceBowler

Reaction score
I was sitting in that freezer as an 11 year old kid with my dad. Us and the Cowboys seemed to be the only cold ones in the place. Strange people in GB.