Drafted by Cowboys 1st Round - Pick 26 - DT Mazi Smith - (Michigan)

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Let's hope that Mazi Smith and Steve Avila get to keep beating up on each other every day in practice. Avila at #58. Hell yeah!

BigDPlayer

Reaction score
Love it. The vast majority of fans here in the zone have been clamoring for a run stopping DT and we got the best one in the draft.

Would he have been there at 32? Maybe. Would he have been there at 58? No way.

When you have a player you like *and* it fills a massive hole, you can’t be mad.

Well done Cowboys
This!

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Because stopping the run really doesn’t matter.

Explosive plays are all that matters. Not run stuffing.

With premium picks we need big play players.

This pick did squat for us.
Quite the opposite, teams neutralized our pass rush by gashing us with the run. Suring up that hole should give our pass rushers more opportunities, which is the key to stopping explosive plays....

Kwyn

Reaction score

You are so, completely, on brand.

Is the 17 in your user name Harold Carmichael?

I don’t believe it could possibly be Dandy Don.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Quite the opposite, teams neutralized our pass rush by gashing us with the run. Suring up that hole should give our pass rushers more opportunities, which is the key to stopping explosive plays....
Staying out of 3rd and shorts also allows the pass rushers to pin their ears back on 3rd down. Not have to hesitate for a second because they’re worried about the run.

BlindFaith

Reaction score

My man, you are so one tracked. Mazi, as a rookie, comes in and is probably our best DT. And that does squat?

Who else would have you picke? Porter? Why did he drop? Hall? Micha lite. And where and when would he play?

The only guy on the board I would have considered was Hooker. Who I think will be the best QB of this draft. But he would have been a longer term investment.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was confirmed on 105.3 the Fan draft show.
I’d like to see someone from the Chiefs or outside Dallas say that. It’s easy to make the claim.

What I saw was a bunch of them in the War Room waiting fur a phone that never rang.

It’s easy to say after the fact that ‘somebody wanted our guy’.

And the Chiefs already have two big, mean defensive tackles as well.

I’m skeptical.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
exactly. cowboys fans on this board and everywhere else have been begging for a guy like this for ages, and complaining that the front office didn't value the position enough to spend this kind of draft capital on it... well, we got our wish. we can argue about who we didn't draft, but i hope the dude delivers.
Facts on paper he’s the perfect fit but there’s always some fans (and I’ve been guilty in the past) where if they don’t know the name they’re annoyed that we didn’t pick one of the guys they’re familiar with on the board who might also be a stud player. Mazi Smith was my favorite pick in years

manster4ever

Reaction score
based on the TCu game i am not impressed one bit.hope i am wrong but this pick will go down the Taco way.
I live in Michigan and have seen this kid play dozens of times. He generally overwhelms the less talented Olines but struggles against big time teams like Georgia and TCU. They neutralized him big time. He's got work to do, that's a given but does he have the work ethic? We'll see but I don't like the pick.

HungryLion

Reaction score
not sure if he kidding.he has half a sack.
He isn’t kidding. Yes Mazi didn’t have sack production at Michigan. But that was effected by a couple things. 1. Michigans system. 2. He has some technique issues that affect his first step. But he also flashes the ability to get up the field and pass rush moves. He has the physical traits to rush the passer. He just needs refinement. That’s what Mcclay is talking about.