Drafted by Cowboys 1st Round - Pick 26 - DT Mazi Smith - (Michigan)

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I’d like to see someone from the Chiefs or outside Dallas say that. It’s easy to make the claim.

What I saw was a bunch of them in the War Room waiting fur a phone that never rang.

It’s easy to say after the fact that ‘somebody wanted our guy’.

And the Chiefs already have two big, mean defensive tackles as well.

I’m skeptical.
Stephen was literally on the phone, while we were on the clock....

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Build the trenches, undervalued for years, our biggest weakness addressed on defense.

Will stuff the run, upside in pass rush and needs some technique that DQ will give him accordingly.

I like the pick, at #26 I am not expecting a top 10 pick but a productive difference maker, I think he will do that so our pass rush can eat!

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I’m just going to trust DQ and McClay on this one and assume he’ll be a good player. Love that it’s a BIG10 DT in the first— actually shocked.

What frustrates me is that this doesn’t feel like an all-in type move. And while the draft typically shouldn’t be about immediate gratification, we’ve just been perpetually not good enough as we’re always building for the future, never seizing the moment.

Drafts not done though, so who knows.

noletime95

Reaction score
Because stopping the run really doesn’t matter.

Explosive plays are all that matters. Not run stuffing.

With premium picks we need big play players.

This pick did squat for us.
Cowboys are full of pass rushers. You want to improve the pass rush, which is already elite? Stop the run, get more 3rd and longs. Love the pick stop reading your draft boards

Knotamus

Reaction score
not sure if he kidding.he has half a sack.
Scheme. He’s referring to how he’ll be used in DQs scheme. Michigan used him as a traditional 1T.. basically control gaps and clog holes, which will also be just fine in Dal if that’s all he does. But apparently, Will McClay has already stated that a slight technique change (primarily his stance) would improve his pass rushing abilities, not to mention DQ will have him positioned in several gaps & stunts to create confusion.

Mazi is unlike players we normally have seen around Dal. He’s big, strong, and looks to create havoc at the LOS. He may max out at 5 sacks a year (which is actually good for a 1T), but he will definitely free others to succeed.. the best part, he loves doing it. Team player that has a dog mentality. Sign me up.

Last edited:

reddyuta

Reaction score
he has extremely poor ball awareness..he is laser focused on engaging his guy and often times has no idea where the ball is going.i wouldn't have a porblem even with a good run stuffer in the first but Mazi is not Vita Vea.

mathew1184

Reaction score
I love the pick. I just don’t understand how people are angry we finally got a big, athletic DT I’ve been reading here for years that this should be priority #1. Now it’s happened and people still find a way to whine about it. You guys just love to be upset? You can say he’s a second or third rounder but Will McLay, and our coaches seem to disagree. And it seems like the Chiefs do to. Some of you guys are just depressing and annoying to listen to. Give the kid a shot.

Knotamus

Reaction score
I’d like to see someone from the Chiefs or outside Dallas say that. It’s easy to make the claim.

What I saw was a bunch of them in the War Room waiting fur a phone that never rang.

I’m skeptical.
Kyle Youmans, on the Live Feed draft show, actually mentioned ab 5 picks before Dal drafted.. that he got word that the Chiefs and LV was trying to trade for Dal’s pick. Dal declined. So it’s not far fetch to hear they called back to let them know Dal drafted their guy.

Jumbo075

Reaction score

I’m skeptical.
About 40 minutes before the Cowboys were on the clock, reports came out that the Cowboys had turned down trade offers from both the Raiders and Chiefs. This happened well before the Cowboys were on the clock. After the Cowboys picked, the report was that the Chiefs called the Cowboys back and let them know they wanted to come up for Mazi Smith at #26. This is similar to last year, when it was reported that another team called to offer a trade. When the Cowboys found out they wanted to pick Tyler Smith, they stayed put and picked Tyler themselves.

There was no report that the Raiders were looking at Mazi Smith. They may have been interested in moving ahead of the Saints to select QB Will Levis, but that is pure speculation on why the Raiders offered a trade.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Nah, he had a concealed carry license. He just didn’t have it in his pocket when he was pulled over.

He’s not some thug.

He went through the training and certification . It’s not like he had an Uzi with filed off serial numbers under his seat.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cowboys are full of pass rushers. You want to improve the pass rush, which is already elite? Stop the run, get more 3rd and longs. Love the pick stop reading your draft boards
We’ll see..

Im just not a fan of using premium picks on these type of players

If he can take a guard and put him in the QBs lap I’ll change my mind but if he’s just a run stuffer it’s a waste of a pick.