Drafted by Cowboys 1st Round - Pick 26 - DT Mazi Smith - (Michigan)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

DT MAZI SMITH MICHIGAN
Height: 6-3, Weight: 323
Smith is another one of my favorite players. He’s a power player who can hold up against the run, but I think he will be a better pass rusher than people expect. He just needs to keep his weight in check. (Pete Prisco)

A​

Draft Scouting Report:

Rating:
84.13 (Long-term starter)

Pro Comparison: Vita Vea

Accolades:

• 2022: Consensus first-team All-Big Ten
  • 2022: Michigan Defensive Player of the Year
Summary:

Mazi Smith is one of the most athletic NTs to enter the NFL in a while. Not compact, but tall and wide. His flashes of pass-rush ability are outstanding; push-pull, arm over, straight bull rush all very solid, although he's not a bulldozer pushing the pocket. His leverage isn't great. He does adequate planting roots against doubles teams, but it's not a specialty. His run-stopping is mostly contingent upon him using his athleticism to get to the ball. He's not a tremendous block-shedder right now. However, he tracks down RBs very well for being a large NT. He won't be an every-down player in the NFL, but his physical profile and pass-rushing refinement make him a fun NT prospect.

Strengths:

• Tall, thick frame; unique for the NT spot
  • Veteran-caliber pass-rush moves to win up the field
  • Has the athleticism to get to RBs in close quarters, and has a large tackling radius
Weaknesses:

• Could get a tick stronger
  • Leverage is very high for an inside rusher, which saps his power
  • Not a tremendous block-shedder
Combine Results:

• Bench Press: 34 reps

I love it. We have needed a NT for a long time. Now we have one. Well done Jerry! The defence is built.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
FINALLY.

FINALLLLLLLLLLY

He is an athleticism freak who has some technique issues to clean up.

With DQ coaching him. He could be an absolute STUD
Exactly, and this defence is ready to roll now. I can't think of a glaring weakness left on that side of the ball. Maybe another CB? The onus is now squarely on the offense. As long as they don't do anything stupid during games, I think the team is just about built.

HungryLion

Reaction score
At worst he’s a run stuffer who can contribute. But who knows maybe there is more.

Well that’s kinda what the draft is about isn’t it? Taking a guy and seeing the potential. Getting the most out of him. If Quinn… parsons and Mclay believe it then who am I to argue.

Correct. If there weren’t questions about his game and improvements he needed to make. He wouldn’t be there with the 26th pick. Every guy at that spot has some holes to their game.

Reaction score
michigan players are not coached well.for a NT he is playing way too high,he needs play with leverage but he plays high and gets tossed around by a guard.
Based on that tape he needs a lot of coaching before we get any production from him.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Who the defensive lineman is doesn't matter when your quarterback throws two interceptions per game. And a consensus top 10 qb pick doesn't fall to 26 a lot. This gives me bad Aaron Rodgers flashbacks. People thought he was cocky, too.

In fairness, so did Brady Quinn.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Cowboys are full of pass rushers. You want to improve the pass rush, which is already elite? Stop the run, get more 3rd and longs. Love the pick stop reading your draft boards

Exactly, when this defence has 3rd and 5+ to work with, it was one of the best in the league. Shutting down the run will help us have more of that. That leads to short fields.

Reaction score
Exactly, and this defence is ready to roll now. I can't think of a glaring weakness left on that side of the ball. Maybe another CB? The onus is now squarely on the offense. As long as they don't do anything stupid during games, I think the team is just about built.
I don't think anyone can say the DT problem has been solved after you watch that TCU tape of him. He needs a lot of work

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Oh yeah. They’ll take an LB in the 4th or 5th round. Like clock work. They love taking LB there.

Exactly, so I'm not too worried about LB depth. I think round 2/3 should be when we see oline help coming, along with RB. Perhaps Archane?