Drafted by Cowboys 1st Round Pick - MLB Leighton Vander Esch, Boise St. (19th pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manster68

Reaction score
Concerning Leighton Vander Esch, I so wanted to move up to get Derwin James.

The last time I was this upset over a first round pick was back in 2013 when the Cowboys took Travis Frederick. All he has done is go to 4 Pro Bowls so far and was named once to All Pro.

Let's hope I'm this kind of wrong again.

CCBoy

Reaction score
...Vander Esch Answered Questions About Injury Concerns

In the final weeks leading up to the draft, reports of NFL teams having concerns about a neck injury surfaced. But Vander Esch took time after his selection to quash those reports, saying “Everything is absolutely in the clear, I don’t know where that came from. Last I checked, Mayock (Mike Mayock, NFL Network analyst) isn’t a doctor”.

He Fills a Big Hole for the Cowboys at Linebacker

Linebacker was a huge position of need entering the 2018 Draft, mainly due to the departure of starting middle linebacker Anthony Hitchens via free agency (Hitchens signed with the Chiefs). Vander Esch, like Hitchens, is a versatile guy who can play more than one linebacking position. Will Vander Esch compete for the starting spot at “Mike” (middle linebacker) with Jaylon Smith moving to “Sam” (strongside)? Or will Vander Esch get work at all three linebacker spots during the offseason and training camp, especially knowing that Sean Lee as the starting “Will” (weakside linebacker) has a history of injuries?

It will be interesting to see if Jaylon Smith gets reps at first-team “Sam” (strongside linebacker) in place of incumbent starter Damien Wilson. The Cowboys also signed former Packer linebacker Joe Thomas in free agency earlier this offseason, so Wilson is also in the mix (probably at “Sam”). Former Cowboys’ backup strongside “Sam” Kyle Wilber left in free agency in February, so depth needed to be added. Multiple scouting reports say that Vander Esch, thanks to his athleticism, can be good in coverage. That’s important, especially if/when he gets reps in the “nickel” package (2 linebackers, 5 defensive backs).

As for Vander Esch’s preference of which position he wants to play: “They could play me anywhere to be honest,” he said on the NFL Draft stage, just minutes after his selection. “I feel like I’m versatile to handle any position they throw me in. I’ll take on whatever they give me and go from there.” He later added in subsequent interviews, including with DallasCowboys.com and 105.3 The Fan, that although he prefers middle linebacker, “Wherever they play me, I’m going to get the job done” and “I couldn’t be more blessed to play with Sean Lee. They can put me wherever they want me.”...

http://www.5pointsblue.com/5-things-to-know-about-leighton-vander-esch/

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Ok,so I’m getting into the nitty gritty breakdown on Van de Kamp. And I was wrong...he’d be a poor fit in a 3-4. I was right about him though being a coverage guy you can blitz. Man is he fast coming through....wow. But there’s some big problems in his game. He needs to use his hands at this level,and quit doing that shoulder dippin business so much,and keep his head up. He’s not a great tackler either,and doesn’t take on directly the point of attack ...so that’s a downside I didn’t like finding out. He’s a finesse roaming oriented guy who likes working in space. Isn’t a physical hard hittin LB you can stuff the run with,and I can tell he’s relied on his abilities as an athlete up to now,more than he’d be able to get away with in the NFL. Takes some risks too,the type you’ll give up big plays for if not made,or in a bad defense.. But he does make a good amount of them,plays other athletes couldn’t make at his size...it’s just he wouldn’t make the same pct at this level. He’s a real weapon though in pass coverage,has good instincts,and I’d love to see this kid on a blitz,if they sort out his technique issues. He’s like secondary quick through the hole...it’s weird a guy that big can move that fast around the corner and down the line. I had to rewind it to make sure I saw,what I thought I saw. So,I see some unique qualities there,but some key issues needing to be resolved. And now knowing his skill set and type of player he is better,it’s very clear a lot of this is going to depend greatly on our overall defense,J.Smith’s performance,and our guys abilities to stay on the field. He’s the type you’ll need some defense around,to extract the full benefit of his game,

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
No, as a sophomore he had a stinger (pinched nerve) that was misdiagnosed as a concussion. He missed 7 games over something that could have been easily treated. Once he went to a chiropractor for treatment he's had no issues.

Ok why are they saying he is injury prone and where are people getting this?

Status
Not open for further replies.