1st Round Projection/

DallasBlockersClub

Reaction score
WOW! Just what the doctor ordered.

FRISCO - The Dallas Cowboys have traditionally tried to "get by'' at safety, opting to use salary-cap money and other resources on other "more important'' positions. Maybe, with new coach Mike McCarthy pitching in his thoughts to personnel boss Will McClay, that's about to change.

The Cowboys, according to the very reliable Dane Brugler of The Athletic, are projected to select LSU safety Grant Delpit with their first pick, at No. 17, in the 2020 NFL Draft.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...ction-sends-lsu-safety-grant-delpit-to-dallas

Delpit was injured for most of the season. When he was healthy again, he was playing like a top 10 pick.

A+ pick for the cowboys.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
One thing about Delpit that I love is he can cover lots of ground in the secondary. That will translate to the NFL for sure. I hate the fact that he seems to get banged up (injured) during the games I see him play. That also seems to translate to NFL as well.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Folks keep hinging on Delpit’s injury to excuse away his poor tackling.

All that tells me is they are watching his highlight videos.

Watch his actual game cutups from 2018; he’s missing a ton of tackles then too.

This reminds me a bit of Mo Claiborne when he came out of LSU. Folks attributed his lack of tackling to the broken wrist he was recovering from during his last year. What they failed to miss was there was a ton of footage of him whiffing and avoiding tackling duties pre-injury.

Guess what? That carried on into the pros.

I will say in Delpit’s defense he does show at least the effort which Claiborne rarely did.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Im on board for it

“didn’t miss a tackle in the final three games of the season vs Georgia, Oklahoma, and Clemson.”

BS...that's all he did was miss tackles. Starting to think Brugler is a Cowboy hater...and just likes to mock garbage to our team.

bewp7

Reaction score
Folks keep hinging on Delpit’s injury to excuse away his poor tackling.

All that tells me is they are watching his highlight videos.

Watch his actual game cutups from 2018; he’s missing a ton of tackles then too.

This reminds me a bit of Mo Claiborne when he came out of LSU. Folks attributed his lack of tackling to the broken wrist he was recovering from during his last year. What they failed to miss was there was a ton of footage of him whiffing and avoiding tackling duties pre-injury.

Guess what? That carried on into the pros.

I will say in Delpit’s defense he does show at least the effort which Claiborne rarely did.

yeah idk about delpit. he can't tackle at all and i don't see how that will improve in the nfl with his slight frame and poor technique. he straight up bounces off guys in college...a guy like saquon barkley would throw him half way across the field in the nfl.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
The way delpit leads when he tackles is not gonna help his already injured shoulder in the pros. If that's the route they're gonna go I'd trade the 1st for a sure thing in Adam's honestly.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Delpit reminds me of the other safety from Texas, Brandon Jones. Delpit will go in the first Jones in the third. So I'd rather a DT in the first, a CB in the second, then a SS. Why? Because their are only 2 CB's that I like outside of the first and second rounders.

A.J. Green from the OSU Cowboys and Michael Ojemudia from Iowa.

But as long as our first three picks go toward the defense I will be OK with what ever they do.

DanA

Reaction score
Thats how we reached for Taco. In 2017 we had higher rated CB's, but we wanted a DE. We took Taco over higher rated players because we felt better about getting a CB in the 2nd than we did a DE. We got specific in the position we were targeting, and we reached.

Considering TJ Watt was there, a pass rusher was the right pick, we just miss evaluated the position.