CFZ 2 stories within those 26 years

rambo2

Reaction score
this. It always comes back to this. Jerry should be ashamed of himself. Sadly I don’t believe he’s capable of shame.
Jerry and company did an outstanding job of building this current team. Enjoy the ride.

Darkhound

Reaction score
Lol, they certainly will be favored in the first playoff game and they certainly have a shot at winning the NFC. You are the one that needs to wake up. Talk about ignorant.

WITH ALL due respect
you are the foool. This team has no punch, does not dominate and just by the fact that you say they have a shot at winning the NFC speaks of your delusional fanatisim

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Never made sense to me why the media, especially the NFL media/PR wing, didn't embrace the Tony Romo story. All the elements were there to promote the inspirational aspects of the small town boy makes good against the odds story.
Yeah, I always wondered why more wasn't made about Romo's incredible story - guess it would have been if he had he won a Super Bowl. I live in St Louis and they did make a huge story and eventually a movie out of a QB who was undrafted - Kurt Warner. He did win the Super Bowl, and was even named Super Bowl MVP. It seems that is the difference.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Last first round QB drafted by Jerry was not in the 2020s or 2010s or 2000s or even 1990s. He was drafted in 1989, we can at least try to draft a 1st round QB since all other options didn’t work up until this point.
I can probably go back and find 50 or more QBs drafted in the first rd since 1989 that were absolute busts.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All I see is a wailing and gnashing of teeth over the last 26 years of not coming close to a championship but what of the 2 stories that only Cowboys fans got during that period of time?

Is not the underdog one of the compelling aspects of sports that drives it? We will see that unfold today with TCU the longshot to advance in the CFP. They will have a lot of fans because of that one reason.

The Cowboys have had some exceptional QB's throughout their history but when it comes to underdog stories, we have two back-to-back than no team can boast about.

The first only got called to the Combine to work out TE's and then only got signed as a UDFA because of an alum on the Cowboys coaching staff. His only other shot was another alum, Mike Shanahan. He worked his way up and ended up QBing the Cowboys for 10 years and became one of the must watch players in the league because of his Houdini act. Also, one of the most polarizing players for the fans the team had ever known.

The second was the third choice and picked in the fourth round and relegated to third string and only got the starting job after injuries to QB's 1 and 2. The remarkable thing about that is that is exactly how he got the QB1 job in high school and college. He would not relinquish any of the 3 jobs once he took them over. He gets the incorrigible tag about his inaccuracy even by the former QB1, who would end up changing his opinion after he worked on his craft to improve in that area. He has proven to be resilient with injuries and possessed in his efforts to return to his team. Also, one of the most polarizing players for the fans the team has even known.

Yes, the Cowboys haven't won much, except a few division titles, in the last 26 years but what of these 2 stories that we have witnessed as Cowboys fans? The pure essence of the underdog story yet once they make it, some seem to resent them for it. The odds were against them yet they rose above that to give hope to everyone who was told they weren't good enough.

Dedication and hard work seem to take a backseat to God given talent too often but we have two examples of that for us to share.

I just got to thinking about this on the last day of 2022 and some overlooked things we might should take another look at while we complain about those 26 years. It hasn't been all bad and it hasn't been all that bad, it really is overblown and run into the ground a little too much.

Those of you that have children, what's the better story to share with them? A man with God given talent that gets drafted #1 and goes on to win 3 championships and enter the HOF or two men facing long odds, told they're not good enough, that rise above that through their dedication and hard work? One is a fulfilling of a destiny; the other two made their own.

No, my friends, we were not cursed with these 26 years, we were given 2 stories that no other team can match and we should take the time to really appreciate those 2 gifts.
One of the frustrations of these two great QB stories is this front office’s struggle to understand how to put the right roster around them for a deep playoff run. All happening over the last decade and a half.

They had two great windows of opportunity- 2006-2014 and 2016- the present to put together enough support for their QBs. Not just other players. Also having the right coaches. Having Jason Garrett as this team’s HC for a decade is one of the worst decisions any GM has made this century. An absolute waste. The rosters have improved mainly through the draft. But their lack of aggressiveness in FA while worrying about the cap may have cost them again.

So far, Jerry coupled with his lazy DNA fortunate sidekick son have been incapable of understanding how to take advantage of the gifts that fell their way. Hopefully we can prove they haven’t wasted this latest opportunity. We will soon see.

Creeper

Reaction score
The one thing about the Cowboys teams since Jimmy Johnson left is they were "soft", or not as physical as they needed to be to win. When I say soft, I mean mentally as well as physically. Going back to 2007 when the Cowboys went 13-3 and lost to the Giants in the playoffs (one and done), after earning a bye week. The Cowboys have beaten the Giants twice already that season, 45-35, and 31-20. After scoring 76 points against the Giants in 2 previous games, they could only manage 17 points in the playoff game giving up 21.

In that game, as in all their other playoff failures they could not make one play to win a game they should have won. Patrick Crayton was the goat (not G.O.A.T) in that game when he made a mental error that ended the Cowboys chances instead of getting what should have been the game winning TD. That has been the story of the Cowboys. Last year it was not getting the ball to the ref to let him spot it. It is always something.

This is why I am most concerned about Dak's mental errors more than his bad throws. Getting out of bounds against Jacksonville, the taking a sack when the 2 minute warning was going to stop the clock anyway, and even the INT just before the half to the Titans. Situational mental errors. I just have a feeling they will make a m istake like that again to cost them a chance in the playoffs.

On the other hand, the Cowboys have plays some very physical football teams this year. The Texans were banging them around pretty good the entire game. So were the Titans and Jags, they won two of those game and only lost to the Jags because of a fluke bobble into the hands of an opponent. I think the Cowboys are not getting out physicalled this year. That's a good sign.

Praxit

Reaction score
...CC, you mean like, "Tale of two cities" ... ;)...

If you think about it, it fits the bill. "Things are not always as they seem"

Its us HOMERS, who have taken the years of backlash. We know its been a ride.

No one, presents a better show than Jerry. Unfortunately, we have been the props.

So here's, to another chance at fate. *Lifts his glass*

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
...CC, you mean like, "Tale of two cities" ... ;)...

If you think about it, it fits the bill. "Things are not always as they seem"

Its us HOMERS, who have taken the years of backlash. We know its been a ride.

No one, presents a better show than Jerry. Unfortunately, we have been the props.

So here's, to another chance at fate. *Lifts his glass*
It was the best of teams, it was the worst of teams...

DripTooHard

Reaction score
Never made sense to me why the media, especially the NFL media/PR wing, didn't embrace the Tony Romo story. All the elements were there to promote the inspirational aspects of the small town boy makes good against the odds story.

Because the narrative that generates more interest and clicks is the hatred towards the Cowboys and their players. You would think 26 years of futility would have changed the narrative, but it seems more prevalent now than ever before.

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score
All I see is a wailing and gnashing of teeth over the last 26 years of not coming close to a championship but what of the 2 stories that only Cowboys fans got during that period of time?

Is not the underdog one of the compelling aspects of sports that drives it? We will see that unfold today with TCU the longshot to advance in the CFP. They will have a lot of fans because of that one reason.

The Cowboys have had some exceptional QB's throughout their history but when it comes to underdog stories, we have two back-to-back than no team can boast about.

The first only got called to the Combine to work out TE's and then only got signed as a UDFA because of an alum on the Cowboys coaching staff. His only other shot was another alum, Mike Shanahan. He worked his way up and ended up QBing the Cowboys for 10 years and became one of the must watch players in the league because of his Houdini act. Also, one of the most polarizing players for the fans the team had ever known.

The second was the third choice and picked in the fourth round and relegated to third string and only got the starting job after injuries to QB's 1 and 2. The remarkable thing about that is that is exactly how he got the QB1 job in high school and college. He would not relinquish any of the 3 jobs once he took them over. He gets the incorrigible tag about his inaccuracy even by the former QB1, who would end up changing his opinion after he worked on his craft to improve in that area. He has proven to be resilient with injuries and possessed in his efforts to return to his team. Also, one of the most polarizing players for the fans the team has even known.

Yes, the Cowboys haven't won much, except a few division titles, in the last 26 years but what of these 2 stories that we have witnessed as Cowboys fans? The pure essence of the underdog story yet once they make it, some seem to resent them for it. The odds were against them yet they rose above that to give hope to everyone who was told they weren't good enough.

Dedication and hard work seem to take a backseat to God given talent too often but we have two examples of that for us to share.

I just got to thinking about this on the last day of 2022 and some overlooked things we might should take another look at while we complain about those 26 years. It hasn't been all bad and it hasn't been all that bad, it really is overblown and run into the ground a little too much.

Those of you that have children, what's the better story to share with them? A man with God given talent that gets drafted #1 and goes on to win 3 championships and enter the HOF or two men facing long odds, told they're not good enough, that rise above that through their dedication and hard work? One is a fulfilling of a destiny; the other two made their own.

No, my friends, we were not cursed with these 26 years, we were given 2 stories that no other team can match and we should take the time to really appreciate those 2 gifts.

Is this the movie american underdog with a completely different ending?

JustChip

Reaction score
Yep. A real life Rudy.

rambo2

Reaction score
The wildcard MAYBE... but anyth9ing beyond that not a chance
There are a lot of different scenarios that can and will happen that can help them and to say that they don't have a chance is totally ignorant on your part. They certainly can win against any team period and if they do lose one it will be a close exciting game. They will certainly be favored in the first game no matter if they play the 4, 6, or 7. I doubt that they won't be more than a 3 point dog in any game after that and it is possible that they could be favored in every game. It just depends how it plays out. All of the other teams could lose to any of the other teams in the 1st game. It is wide open.