CFZ 2 stories within those 26 years

rambo2

Reaction score
WITH ALL due respect
you are the foool. This team has no punch, does not dominate and just by the fact that you say they have a shot at winning the NFC speaks of your delusional fanatisim
Oh really, Averaging 34 points a game is no punch? How can the team with the best record in the NFC over the last 2 years have no shot?

Motorola

Reaction score
All I see is a wailing and gnashing of teeth over the last 26 years of not coming close to a championship but what of the 2 stories that only Cowboys fans got during that period of time?

Is not the underdog one of the compelling aspects of sports that drives it? We will see that unfold today with TCU the longshot to advance in the CFP. They will have a lot of fans because of that one reason.

The Cowboys have had some exceptional QB's throughout their history but when it comes to underdog stories, we have two back-to-back than no team can boast about.

The first only got called to the Combine to work out TE's and then only got signed as a UDFA because of an alum on the Cowboys coaching staff. His only other shot was another alum, Mike Shanahan. He worked his way up and ended up QBing the Cowboys for 10 years and became one of the must watch players in the league because of his Houdini act. Also, one of the most polarizing players for the fans the team had ever known.

The second was the third choice and picked in the fourth round and relegated to third string and only got the starting job after injuries to QB's 1 and 2. The remarkable thing about that is that is exactly how he got the QB1 job in high school and college. He would not relinquish any of the 3 jobs once he took them over. He gets the incorrigible tag about his inaccuracy even by the former QB1, who would end up changing his opinion after he worked on his craft to improve in that area. He has proven to be resilient with injuries and possessed in his efforts to return to his team. Also, one of the most polarizing players for the fans the team has even known.

Yes, the Cowboys haven't won much, except a few division titles, in the last 26 years but what of these 2 stories that we have witnessed as Cowboys fans? The pure essence of the underdog story yet once they make it, some seem to resent them for it. The odds were against them yet they rose above that to give hope to everyone who was told they weren't good enough.

Dedication and hard work seem to take a backseat to God given talent too often but we have two examples of that for us to share.

I just got to thinking about this on the last day of 2022 and some overlooked things we might should take another look at while we complain about those 26 years. It hasn't been all bad and it hasn't been all that bad, it really is overblown and run into the ground a little too much.

Those of you that have children, what's the better story to share with them? A man with God given talent that gets drafted #1 and goes on to win 3 championships and enter the HOF or two men facing long odds, told they're not good enough, that rise above that through their dedication and hard work? One is a fulfilling of a destiny; the other two made their own.

No, my friends, we were not cursed with these 26 years, we were given 2 stories that no other team can match and we should take the time to really appreciate those 2 gifts.
This insight should abound for fans of not just the other 31 NFL franchises ----but sports aficionados all across the globe.

Take a few minutes and read an exerpt / story or two about the passing of the grand - the great - Pele`

RS12

Reaction score
Pro football reference and their approximate value smile kindly on Romo. Have him listed as third highest rated all time Cowboys QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Both are great stories and first-class dudes.

And then there's creepy Jerry.
Unfortunately the turd that is Jethro clouds what could be better feel good stories like CC is presenting.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can probably go back and find 50 or more QBs drafted in the first rd since 1989 that were absolute busts.
I think I saw a report a few years ago that revealed about 50% of high 1st round QB’s are bust.

But it also noted that most of these go to bad teams ( and why they had an high pick) attempting to rebuild. Which doesn’t always present these high drafted QB’s a winning situation to develop and build confidence.

It’s a reasonable argument to discuss if Prescott has Rookie of the year in Cleveland or Detroit for example instead of a playoff caliber team. Same thing with Romo who we saw struggled more with a lesser team,

The team and situation you’re drafted in does impact your potential for success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I appreciate Tony and Dak.
It's a shame, for whatever reason, we have have.not had much post-season success with either.
It’s not really their fault we haven’t had anymore success.

Both over achieved from where they came.

There’s only been one constant thru this down era of no championship contenders.

Unfortunately it’s still the biggest sad story of the last 27 years despite a few of these feel good stories.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I appreciate Tony and Dak.
It's a shame, for whatever reason, we have have.not had much post-season success with either.
We were always competitive. Which gave us late round draft picks and you have to hit them. It may be if we sucked for two or three years we would’ve been great rather than average, but I enjoy being able to win any football game. It’s just how you decide to do it.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I think I saw a report a few years ago that revealed about 50% of high 1st round QB’s are bust.

But it also noted that most of these go to bad teams ( and why they had an high pick) attempting to rebuild. Which doesn’t always present these high drafted QB’s a winning situation to develop and build confidence.

It’s a reasonable argument to discuss if Prescott has Rookie of the year in Cleveland or Detroit for example instead of a playoff caliber team. Same thing with Romo who we saw struggled more with a lesser team,

The team and situation you’re drafted in does impact your potential for success.

agree completely..... thast why I wouldnt want to be the coach of the team that drafts that qb.... I want to be the coach hired in year 2 or 3 when the qb is ready to take off, ala Trevor Lawrence. I have little doubt Lawrence will take off next year and continue on with what he started 4 or 5 weeks ago,

Dak, IMO doesnt come close to his rookie season performance had he been drafted and started in Cleveland his rookie year.

Hardline

Reaction score
I can probably go back and find 50 or more QBs drafted in the first rd since 1989 that were absolute busts.
The majority of Super Bowls were won by first round QBs .
I'll take my chances drafting my QBs in the first round even with the bust rate percentage. You keep throwing darts until one sticks.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'll take my chances drafting my QBs in the first round even with the bust rate percentage. You keep throwing darts until one sticks.
The vast majority were picked early in the first. The last time we even had a chance at an early 1st was when we took Zeke. Throw darts at QBs with our picks and you might as well be blindfolded.

Hardline

Reaction score
The vast majority were picked early in the first. The last time we even had a chance at an early 1st was when we took Zeke. Throw darts at QBs with our picks and you might as well be blindfolded.
Doesn't matter. Even picking a QB in the back end of the first round increases your odds. Research how many 2nd round or later QBs won a Super Bowl.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The one thing about the Cowboys teams since Jimmy Johnson left is they were "soft", or not as physical as they needed to be to win. When I say soft, I mean mentally as well as physically. Going back to 2007 when the Cowboys went 13-3 and lost to the Giants in the playoffs (one and done), after earning a bye week. The Cowboys have beaten the Giants twice already that season, 45-35, and 31-20. After scoring 76 points against the Giants in 2 previous games, they could only manage 17 points in the playoff game giving up 21.

In that game, as in all their other playoff failures they could not make one play to win a game they should have won. Patrick Crayton was the goat (not G.O.A.T) in that game when he made a mental error that ended the Cowboys chances instead of getting what should have been the game winning TD. That has been the story of the Cowboys. Last year it was not getting the ball to the ref to let him spot it. It is always something.

This is why I am most concerned about Dak's mental errors more than his bad throws. Getting out of bounds against Jacksonville, the taking a sack when the 2 minute warning was going to stop the clock anyway, and even the INT just before the half to the Titans. Situational mental errors. I just have a feeling they will make a m istake like that again to cost them a chance in the playoffs.

On the other hand, the Cowboys have plays some very physical football teams this year. The Texans were banging them around pretty good the entire game. So were the Titans and Jags, they won two of those game and only lost to the Jags because of a fluke bobble into the hands of an opponent. I think the Cowboys are not getting out physicalled this year. That's a good sign.
Post of the year, so far, lol.
I think you bring up an overlooked but very important point.
Football IQ and situational awareness.
This team, especially Dak seem to lack both.
In a very close game this can be a difference maker.
I think could chance it cost us the Jags game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I read not long ago that about 80% of SB winning QB were first round picks.

Problem is about half of 1st round picks are bust. Which team and situation they go to is a major factor.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True but teams have the ability to move up in draft.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

I dont disagree, but when you have a QB in the middle of their career that has led you to three 12 plus win seasons in his 6 seasons you telling me yu would use a 1st rd pick to draft a qb? Sorry, but that would be incredibly stupid.