20 Athletes Who Don’t Belong in Their Sport’s Hall of Fame - Rantsports.com

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I think he is wrong on almost all of them but I agree with him about Ralph Sampson.

It really looks like a guy who has very little understanding of the sports that he is criticizing and goes mostly off of stat line compared to what modern contemporaries put up in a vastly different game.

I agree with three:
Swann
Sampson
Blyleven

Basketball hall of fame is all basketball accomplishments, not just nba. Ralph Sampson changed the college game. He deserves the nod.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah...John Elway, Marcus Allen and Reggie Miller are totally run of the mill type players.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
I disagree with the author on everyone for one reason. I don't believe in players being "Hall of Fame" worthy. Great players should be honored but too many times it becomes more about who not to honor.

The NFL has a much better system in place that baseball (Those HoF voters who did not vote for Randy Johnson should have their vote stripped) but they should never have less than the maximum number of players voted in. There's too many great players not to take the full allotment each year.

joseephuss

Reaction score
He isn't. The basketball hall of fame isn't just for the NBA, it's for basketball period. And Sampson was probably one of the five best college players who ever lived.

Good point. I was going to add that to my post, but got distracted by a phone call and just hit enter. He is in because of his college accolades. Unfortunately injuries prevented him from playing to his full potential as a pro.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I disagree with the author on every single NFL player.

As do I.

I'll defend Aikman, though there really is no need to, since he went in on the first ballot. 13 career regular season 300 yard games, but four 300 yard games in 15 playoff starts. Achieved a qb rating of over 100 in 9 of 15 playoff starts, including 5 straight at one point (2nd to Montana). He was the definition of consistent in the regular season, but he elevated his play when it mattered most. Mike Holmgren once walked out of a losing playoff locker room to tell Aikman he had played the finest game he'd seen a qb play. I think Holmgren knew far more about HOF qb play than Jacob Kornhauser does.

revospeed

Reaction score
I imagine that author would throw Daunte Culpepper and his 4,800 yard season in the Hall of Fame ahead of Aikman and Elway. Just goes to show you, stats are like bikinis, they show a lot, but not everything.

dguinta1

Reaction score
I imagine that author would throw Daunte Culpepper and his 4,800 yard season in the Hall of Fame ahead of Aikman and Elway. Just goes to show you, stats are like bikinis, they show a lot, but not everything.
LOL Good one. Is that your line? I'll have to use that..lol

BiffWellingtonIII

Reaction score
Billl Mazeroski wasn't a HOF that was a vet committee thing .

Bert Blyleven was a curveball pitcher who lost 250 games - yes you read that correctly ....

Ralph Sampson was intimidated off the court by jerry schting Fcs...

Phil Rizzuto was an Mvp played on the greatest team ever assembled but wasn't a HOF player ...

Joe Namaths career #s were horrendous he's in there for one reason which I kinda get and in fact I lean towards the short spurt of legend over the compiler ... Ie Eddie Murray was a compiler - Albert Belle? Legend a 10 year run that is basically unmatched ...

Terrell Davis needs to be In....

Don Sutton doesn't belong there either ...

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Aikman simply doesn't have the stats - he's not an all timer.

I'd say that article was spot on.

As I always say, if it's all about stats then Vinny Testeverde, Drew Bledsoe and Jerome Bettis should be in. Wait? Bettis was nominated this year. :(

Anyway, it's the Hall of FAME!!!

Who has made a significant impact on the game of football that you just can't talk about its history without mentioning him? Aikman? Check. Namath? Check. Swann? Check. Elway? Double Check.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Aikman simply doesn't have the stats - he's not an all timer.

I'd say that article was spot on.

Ok, Biff -- you may have identified yourself as a young stat maven, who also did not see many games and seasons with these guys.

Some of the folks in the HOF were simply perceived to be winners and warriors, contributing significantly to their team's championships; guys like Namath who helped to define an era.

While most of us Cowboys fans can't understand the apparent infatuation with the Steal-ers, we can see the relative importance of these guys in their time, and maybe feel what the voters were thinking. It's not all about stats.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Ok, Biff -- you may have identified yourself as a young stat maven, who also did not see many games and seasons with these guys.

Some of the folks in the HOF were simply perceived to be winners and warriors, contributing significantly to their team's championships; guys like Namath who helped to define an era.

While most of us Cowboys fans can't understand the apparent infatuation with the Steal-ers, we can see the relative importance of these guys in their time, and maybe feel what the voters were thinking. It's not all about stats.

Well put.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
This was just dumb. While reading about Rodman at 19 I realized what an idiot the guy is. He was talking about his scoring average. Rodman is a HOFer because of his rebounding and defense and how he played other teams toughest guys.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lynn Swann. All I am going to say is if that man is in there then Drew Pearson belongs also.

If it wasn't for those 4 rings and his MVP performance in SB X he wouldn't be in the HOF.

erod

Reaction score
There are undeserving guys in the hall of fame. But this bloke didn't identify the right ones.