20 Athletes Who Don’t Belong in Their Sport’s Hall of Fame - Rantsports.com

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Aikman simply doesn't have the stats - he's not an all timer.

I'd say that article was spot on.
From 1991-95 (Aikman's best years) he made the top 6 in passer rating all five years. Only Steve Young equaled that, and nobody else did it even four of those years. Favre did it 3 years, Elway twice, and nobody else did it more than once during that time.

When you say that Aikman "doesn't have the stats," you're talking only about yards and TD--not the total passing performance as measured by his rating.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
This was just dumb. While reading about Rodman at 19 I realized what an idiot the guy is. He was talking about his scoring average. Rodman is a HOFer because of his rebounding and defense and how he played other teams toughest guys.

I was about to say the same thing. He was an elite rebounder and defender. I like how it mentioned he was a "very good" defender but didn't even talk about his rebounding.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Basketball hall of fame is all basketball accomplishments, not just nba. Ralph Sampson changed the college game. He deserves the nod.

Yea, thought he was just talking about the professional level. He was great in college and just good at the NBA level.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I disagree with the author on every single NFL player.

I have a very difficult time with Lynn Swann. While I do believe he had immense talent, I also agree with the author his seasonal performances were not especially eye-popping. But to be truthful, I look at what Drew Pearson did and measure his success, finding him not in the Hall of Fame, and there is an injustice here.

If Swann is truly Hall worthy, then so is Pearson.

But if Pearson is not Hall worthy, then neither is Swann.

Lynn Swann Stats

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/players.nsf/ID/05540025

Played - 74-82

Games - 115

Receptions - 336

Yards - 5,462

Average - 16.3

TDs - 51

Drew Pearson Stats

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/players.nsf/ID/05440015

Played - 73 - 83

Games - 156

Receptions - 489

Yards - 7,822

Average - 16.0

TDs - 48

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Yea, thought he was just talking about the professional level. He was great in college and just good at the NBA level.

yeh, bball has one hall of fame. it celebrates, women, international, pro's & college.... its simply high level achievement in any of those areas.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I have a very difficult time with Lynn Swann. While I do believe he had immense talent, I also agree with the author his seasonal performances were not especially eye-popping. But to be truthful, I look at what Drew Pearson did and measure his success, finding him not in the Hall of Fame, and there is an injustice here.

Lynn Swann Stats

Played - 74-82

Games - 115

Receptions - 336

Yards - 5,462

Average - 16.3

TDs - 51

Drew Pearson Stats

Played - 73 - 83

Games - 156

Receptions - 489

Yards - 7,822

Average - 16.0

TDs - 48
I don't disagree at all, and if HOF was only stats I would agree that he isn't a HOFer. It is hard to deny his impact on the game though. Just like Bob Hayes impacted the game, so did Swann. That is what makes him a HOFer in my estimation, and why I was so supportive of Hayes being in. Drew Pearson not being in the HOF is horrid to me. Same with Cliff Harris and Chuck Howley. That's why I get pissed off when people say there isn't a HOF bias against the Cowboys. There is one player in particular that to me proves there is a bias against the Cowboys.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
yeh, bball has one hall of fame. it celebrates, women, international, pro's & college.... its simply high level achievement in any of those areas.

To be honest, I think that Otis Thorpe was better for the Rockets than Ralph, very much under-rated IMO.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If you weren't a fan in that era, IMO you don't have the proper perspective to have a valid opinion on this topic. That eliminates a great deal of the readers. The rest of you I bet can see how most of these former athletes got in their respective HOFs. Most of these arguments against there enshrinements are based on false premise, like a certain completion percentage or offensive prowess being a prerequisite. In most cases, the full scope of what got them elected is not being considered. The only exception I see in that whole group is Lynn Swann... his career does not merit HOF status.

I expect push back from the younger posters... they seem to think they always have something relevant to say.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
To be honest, I think that Otis Thorpe was better for the Rockets than Ralph, very much under-rated IMO.

Absolutely, Ralph's unique talents were ruined by injury before he could reach his prime... but Hoops never seen anything like him... his potential was absolutely through the roof...

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Tbh I was surprised Irvin and Aikman made it so soon. Thought it would take 20 years for them to be inducted.

One guy that should be in is Darren Woodson. He's maybe the best safety ever. Didn't have ed reed like numbers but a very similar player in terms of impact.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Sampson was a great college player but meh as NBA player. I agree with him re Mullin, Blyleven, Griese, Allen and Namath.

I understand the argument re Aikman because numbers wise he doesn't deserve it but hell he was unbeatable in the post season so he deserves it.

Larionov is interesting because he doesn't deserve it for the NHL but when you consider his USSR and Central Red Army career, then yes he deserves it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Lynn Swann. All I am going to say is if that man is in there then Drew Pearson belongs also.

How many times do I need to point out the flaws in your reasoning. Swan doesn't belong. That doesn't mean Pearson does.

NickZepp

Reaction score

Lynn Swann Stats

Played - 74-82

Games - 115

Receptions - 336

Yards - 5,462

Average - 16.3

TDs - 51

Drew Pearson Stats

Played - 73 - 83

Games - 156

Receptions - 489

Yards - 7,822

Average - 16.0

TDs - 48

Tony Hill was better than both statistically. But the rules in the NFL in the 70s were so slanted toward defense that the numbers aren't going to look great for very many receivers.

Manster68

Reaction score
According to Merrium Webster online http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fame the definition of fame is: "The condition of being known or recognized by many people."

So do people still talk about Bill Mazeroski's World Series walk-off HR?

I do not know much about any of you, but I use my own eyes to judge a Hall of Famer.

Most everyone on that list belongs in the Hall of Fame.