20 Questions: 11 - When does Tyler Guyton take over at LT

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Gonna say it right now....Guyton will never make it @ left tackle. We drafted a right tackle that's gonna struggle with the conversion.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
He should be practicing with the first team from the start of camp. If he shows you that he isn't ready though I don't believe you start him week 1. Late first round players are not always going to be day 1 plug and play starters and that's OK. Guyton was available so late because he is a raw talent. Push him hard early on in camp, but don't rush his development too much and destroy his career before it even begins.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gonna say it right now....Guyton will never make it @ left tackle. We drafted a right tackle that's gonna struggle with the conversion.
Larry Allen played every OL position but C. And he excelled at all of them.
Not saying that Guyton is or can be Larry Allen.

But many OL switched positions and became very good. Let's see how he looks before we claim he struggles with the conversion.

Mark Tuinei was a DT and did pretty dang good as an OL.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Larry Allen played every OL position but C. And he excelled at all of them.
Not saying that Guyton is or can be Larry Allen.

But many OL switched positions and became very good. Let's see how he looks before we claim he struggles with the conversion.

Mark Tuinei was a DT and did pretty dang good as an OL.
exceptions are just that; exceptions when you are talking LT. To expect something like that to work is pushing it. NOW it seems clear the Boys believe he can do it or they would not have used a first on him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
exceptions are just that; exceptions when you are talking LT. To expect something like that to work is pushing it. NOW it seems clear the Boys believe he can do it or they would not have used a first on him.
Right.
And it is pushing it to expect that. I was just saying it has happened before.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't know Dallas wanted him to play LT. I thought he was a project RT?
Played RT in college. Drafted to play LT or that is what the media and fans say. Did Dallas ever come out to say he will play LT. I think it was indicated at least.

However, could we see him line up at RT in TC. And maybe have Steele play LT?
Just a wild thought.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
This is a huge camp and preseason for the offensive line. Its hard to imagine Guyton not getting every opportunity to lock down LT based on who else is there, but if he's struggling with his technique and getting beat a lot they'll have to look elsewhere. I don't have much confidence in Edoga and Walzetgo being longer term solutions based on their injury history and don't think they're more than backup tackles talent wise. Richards showed promise last year, but for some reason he's not talked about much but I would put him ahead of the other 2.

Personally, if Guyton isn't showing he can atleast be a steady starter the Cowboys should immediately look to Tyler Smith to fill LT and have open competition at LG. Atleast we know we'll have good protection at LT and depth at LG is better to the point where we have guys that would at minimum be servicable.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
To be honest I think the best plan for the Cowboys is to move Tyler Smith to LT, and play Guyton at RT. There is an "out" for Terence Steele's big contract next year I think.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Guy is raw. If he is the LT for game one, it might get ugly. I think he will be ok in a year or two. Needs some more seasoning and game reps. The talent is there and so is the athleticism.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I think signing Zeke back has an impact on this , think tank of the team knows Guyton will have growing pain and so having Zeke will help in Pass protection.

But that’s all moot if Guyton struggles in the camp ( against Parssons it’s ok , but rest )