20 Questions: 11 - When does Tyler Guyton take over at LT

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Guy is raw. If he is the LT for game one, it might get ugly. I think he will be ok in a year or two. Needs some more seasoning and game reps. The talent is there and so is the athleticism.
We kept playing Steele his rookie year instead of putting in whatever veteran we had.
His PFF for the year was 50.
Got to imagine a 1st round pick gets at least as much slack for his development, especially with the offseason looking like this year is planned as a pure give up year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We kept playing Steele his rookie year instead of putting in whatever veteran we had.
His PFF for the year was 50.
Got to imagine a 1st round pick gets at least as much slack for his development, especially with the offseason looking like this year is planned as a pure give up year.
If Micah can be doubled 35% of the time. I am sure we can figure out how to send help his way at least 35% of the time.

cmoney23

Reaction score

Chasing6

Reaction score
I still pray that we kick Tyler Smith to LT, Beebe at LG, Hoffman at Center, ZM at LG, and Steele/Guyton at RT. I think this gives us the best chance to be successful this year.
That would give us 4 players in new positions. I think this would be an emergency scenario.

gtb1943

Reaction score
That would give us 4 players in new positions. I think this would be an emergency scenario.
AND remember how little padded practice they are allowed now in camp.
We basically would have to have them playing the exhibition games full out
and risking injuries

CWR

Reaction score
exceptions are just that; exceptions when you are talking LT. To expect something like that to work is pushing it. NOW it seems clear the Boys believe he can do it or they would not have used a first on him.
Is it really a stretch to expect our first round olineman to succeed? I question a lot of what our FO does, but the track record with early oline players is remarkable. They might know what they are doing here.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Is it really a stretch to expect our first round olineman to succeed? I question a lot of what our FO does, but the track record with early oline players is remarkable. They might know what they are doing here.
Everyone will have a different definition on what succeeding means. I believe he will start the season at LT he will be a work in progress and improve as the season goes along.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
Everyone will have a different definition on what succeeding means. I believe he will start the season at LT he will be a work in progress and improve as the season goes along.
Agreed. I don't expect him to come out polished by any means. I think his run blocking may be pretty good from go, but pass blocking will likely come with more growing pains. I expect he's a really good player for us before all is said, but not necessarily over night.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Played RT in college. Drafted to play LT or that is what the media and fans say. Did Dallas ever come out to say he will play LT. I think it was indicated at least.

However, could we see him line up at RT in TC. And maybe have Steele play LT?
Just a wild thought.
They said LT.

If there is a problem, Tyler Smith would move to LT.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Played RT in college. Drafted to play LT or that is what the media and fans say. Did Dallas ever come out to say he will play LT. I think it was indicated at least.

However, could we see him line up at RT in TC. And maybe have Steele play LT?
Just a wild thought.
Who do you think makes our Depth Chart? ESPN.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who do you think makes our Depth Chart? ESPN.
I don't pay attention to depth charts very much. They do not mean anything to me.

I do look at the depth of the overall team. But whoever makes a depth chart, really does not mean much.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
They said LT.

If there is a problem, Tyler Smith would move to LT.
I agree. While Tyler Smith is elite at guard and would probably peak at "good" at left tackle.....it's a lot easier to find a serviceable guard than a good left tackle.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I agree. While Tyler Smith is elite at guard and would probably peak at "good" at left tackle.....it's a lot easier to find a serviceable guard than a good left tackle.
Not sure how much this plays into the decision to keep Tyler Smith at G, if at all, but one thing to keep in mind is that he is eligible for an extension after this year. Would they want to move him back out to T and make him a $30M per year guy or keep him at G as a $20M per year guy? I may be looking waaay too much into the money piece of it, but I have a feeling Asim Richards or someone else down the depth chart would get first crack at taking over LT. Truly anyones guess though.