20 Questions: 18 - who will be the sleeper at RB position

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be getting excited about Freeman. He hasn’t cracked 400 yards rushing in six years. The guy is a jag. He won’t be getting a high number of touches if he’s not performing well.
Thats exactly my concern is this group is all JAGs. It's not that he's someone I expect to step up, I just don't see players better on the roster other than Zeke who they will want to limit his workload and is on the back side of his career. Maybe Rico steps up and proves me wrong, I just dont see it. He will flash at times, which gives me hope, but the underlying metrics all show a pretty average player who is more of a backup. Deuce I wont throw the towel in on just yet, but I think even if he reaches his potential is going to be limited in skill set.

I think we are dependent upon the Oline overperforming in the run to improve on the ground this year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Thats exactly my concern is this group is all JAGs. It's not that he's someone I expect to step up, I just don't see players better on the roster other than Zeke who they will want to limit his workload and is on the back side of his career. Maybe Rico steps up and proves me wrong, I just dont see it. He will flash at times, which gives me hope, but the underlying metrics all show a pretty average player who is more of a backup. Deuce I wont throw the towel in on just yet, but I think even if he reaches his potential is going to be limited in skill set.

I think we are dependent upon the Oline overperforming in the run to improve on the ground this year.
I don’t see Deuce being a viable option at RB. I don’t think the team does either because if OTA’s were any indication they’re going to use him as a receiver out of the backfield. He was spending most of his time with the receivers not the RBs.

chagus

Reaction score
People are gonna hype up Zeke because he’s gonna look great until that first hit of the season and his body is gonna break down sadly.
Zeke is more durable than that, in my opinion. While i know most of us dont expect much from him, i think he may surprise us this season. This is more than likely his last season. I think he wants to go out on a high note. Of course, this is all purely speculative.

chagus

Reaction score
Something tells me Freeman could surprise....much like when we signed McFadden.....and everyone thought he was washed up.
My thought as well. Freeman and Zeke are the bulk, Dowdle and Deuce mop up. Hunter FB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Zeke is more durable than that, in my opinion. While i know most of us dont expect much from him, i think he may surprise us this season. This is more than likely his last season. I think he wants to go out on a high note. Of course, this is all purely speculative.
I’m not saying he’s not durable. I’m saying he’s gonna look different as the hits come. He starts the year off ok until the wear comes.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
The fact that we are relying upon that group to reveal a sleeper is a microcosm of our off-season failures that mimick the worst off season in the history of bad off-seasons

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hopefully they acquire someone not on the roster currently. I think Zeke can serve a role, but he is limited at this stage in his career. I'll give Deuce another year as well, but he's another guy who is limited in what he can do for you. Rico I just cant buy into the hype. He's 26, which doesnt sound old, but to compare Zeke is 28. Granted he has significantly fewer miles on his body than Zeke it's rare for a RB to break out on the back half of their 20s. Nearly every advanced metric indicates that Rico is a backup RB in this league.

The surprise of this RB group as it is today may end up being that Royce Freeman is the best (or at least most complete) back in the current group....which isnt a good thing. This is the position group that I'm really struggling to find much optimism on at all outside of Zeke should be a reliable short yardage/goal line back which was much needed in 2023.
I have hope that they can make Deuce work. He cannot pass protect DL and most LB. Outside of blocking in pass protection a hot route is another answer.

We have seen him have success on the screen but if he can motion out of the backfield when they load the box and run the basic Beasley route tree (in/out, whip, slant, seam), in combination with our perimeter players that could be better tan just a pass protection solution.

It's all in the WCO already. He is working with WR.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I’m not saying he’s not durable. I’m saying he’s gonna look different as the hits come. He starts the year off ok until the wear comes.
He has to be able to run middle iso. I would hope that it is in the keeping them honest sense as opposed to a staple. Ideally he would have as many pass attempts as run attempts in a game.

You pound him middle iso he is not going to last long.