2006 1st round pick and/or player for Javon Walker!

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
While listening to the NFL network, it was reported that Packers sent a letter to Javon Walker stating that they would not consider re-doing his contract until next year. Walker is scheduled to make a 1/2 million dollars in this final year of his rookie contract. Walker has responded by saying that he would holdout until he has a new deal or is traded.
Should the Cowboys inquire about walker to see what it would take to obtain him in trade or wait until next year to draft a receiver? If it would take a 2006 1st round pick and or a player, should the Boys make a deal for him?

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
considering the age of our established WRs...... H*** YES!!!

this guy is a "cup o' soup" receiver.... just add water - makes it's own 1000 yard season.

he's about as close to "Bledsoe-proof" as we're likely to find.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Dallas4ever said:
While listening to the NFL network, it was reported that Packers sent a letter to Javon Walker stating that they would not consider re-doing his contract until next year. Walker is scheduled to make a 1/2 million dollars in this final year of his rookie contract. Walker has responded by saying that he would holdout until he has a new deal or is traded.
Should the Cowboys inquire about walker to see what it would take to obtain him in trade or wait until next year to draft a receiver? If it would take a 2006 1st round pick and or a player, should the Boys make a deal for him?

No to a first round pick, and h*ll no to a first round pick AND a player...

But if the Packers were willing to talk about Walker straight up for Greg Ellis, I might consider it... I'm not eager to get rid of Ellis, but he doesn't seem to be sold on the 3-4, and he might be right, so it might make sense to get max value out of him before this season opens...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trade for Walker, trade Ellis............can we skip a week and get camp started early???

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Lets see what we have on the field before we go giving away our first round picks and or players for headaches like walker.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CosmicCowboy said:
Ellis, for Walker...works for me....

doesnt work for me...Walker's had one good yr, prior to that he was being mentioned as a bust...

factor in that he'll want a huge, mega contract (hello folks, thats why he is going to hold out) in addition to us having to part with Ellis and I'd say thanks but no thanks

David

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
doesnt work for me...Walker's had one good yr, prior to that he was being mentioned as a bust...

factor in that he'll want a huge, mega contract (hello folks, thats why he is going to hold out) in addition to us having to part with Ellis and I'd say thanks but no thanks

David

If Green Bay wanted to trade Walker for Ellis straight up, we would be insane not to take that deal.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Alexander said:
If Green Bay wanted to trade Walker for Ellis straight up, we would be insane not to take that deal.
Why not? A 20 percent snap DE for a guy who will play behind Terry and Key this year seems fair.

notherbob

Reaction score
Even if the Cowboys did trade Ellis for Walker straight up, in addition to the huge signing bonus and large salary that he and Rosenhaus will demand, how many other players would the team have to cut (thereby reducing depth) in order to accomodate a selfish player who doesn't care about anything but himself? How does this contribute to a better team if you no longer have the depth to succeed? In my view, the price would exceed the value, unless for some reason the team just wants a lockerroom cancer.

They could then add Ty Law and his massive demands, since they would only have to cut a few other players to fit him in - and if he doesn't ever return to his prior form, so what, you've still got another glittering superstar you can show off with pride to the other teams, most of whom will be laughing at you.

Hey, here's another idea, we could trade all our 2006 draft to Philly for TO and really rack up some superstars. Wouldn't life be glorious then?

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Walker will not hold out the full season

Just like Randall Godfrey they will hold out till like 9 games left in the seeason then they have to show up or they lose credit for the whole season and it does not count as service time in the NFL and their contract.

Unless that has changed; alsu maybe Adam can give more details on how that all works. I just remeber the basic concept from when we went threw that mess with Godfrey.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like Walker but would hate to give up a #1 to get him, on the other hand rumor has it that the Commanders will release Rod Gardner to make cap room so they can sign their draft picks, personally I would not mind seeing the Cowboys try and pick him up and it would not cost us any picks

CosmicCowboy

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

David

Well, seems BP is doing things his way this year (I'm good with that)...so if someone on the team is not 'happy' with that, its gonna be 'adios amigos' for that player.IMO No more jesery in the face here !!!

Man, isn't it Great just a few more days for camp !!!

Tobal

Reaction score
Ellis and what else for Walker?

Emmitt was under contract and held out, Walker has had two good yrs.

2002 23-319-1TD
2003 41-716-9TD
2004 88-1382-12TD

Parcells won't do it because he has plans for Ellis

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Tobal said:
Ellis and what else for Walker?

Emmitt was under contract and held out, Walker has had two good yrs.

2002 23-319-1TD
2003 41-716-9TD
2004 88-1382-12TD

Parcells won't do it because he has plans for Ellis

Emmitt never held out under contract so bite your tounge; Emmitt held out when he had no contract and there was no Free Agency but his contract had expired period end of story. So correct that statement and get your facts straight.

These are the stats I pulled from Walker

YEAR TEAM G GS REC YDS AVG TD FUM LOST
2002 GNB 15 2 23 319 13.9 1 1 1
2003 GNB 16 3 41 716 17.5 9 1 1
2004 GNB 16 12 89 1382 15.5 12 2 2

CAREER 47 -- 153 2417 15.8 22 4 4

He has gotten better every year and basicly doubled his catch total every year. He has produced and gotten better so how is that even close to being a bust ?

strongarmqb

Reaction score
Just because Walker wants more money, doesnt mean he's selfish.

Everyone knows the way the NFL works and how contracts are structured in favor of the Owners. The only leverage players have is their services.

Green Bay's resistance to renegotiating a deal with Walker tells me they arent sold on the fact he is the future star he thinks he is....

That being said, an Ellis for Walker deal straight up doesnt make sense unless Chris Canty is ready to rock and roll right from the start.

Trophy#6

Reaction score
For a 2006 1st Rounder...yes.
For Ellis...yes.

Even if he is a bust, atleast he's 3 years closer to us finding that out then some rookie would be. The closest thing to a "sure-thing" this team can hope for.

And for the record, I highly doubt a guy like Walker would be doing any sitting behind someone like Terry Glenn....it'd be the other way around.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Alexander said:

Agreed. The Packers would have to be high to do this.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Agreed. The Packers would have to be high to do this.

not really...maybe they dont believe last yr was a true indicator of what Walker will be yr in and yr out and done want to make the overhwelming investment in signing bonus and cap dollars until they are sure...Walker is going to want a 10-15 million signing bonus and while he is a good WR, I dont think he's an elite WR

David