2006 Skins cap numbers

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
i live in Skins country and i love watching the debacle that is their front office, they are run so badly, they have players who deserve to have sub million dollar contracts, yet have 2 or three million, they have two five million dollar quarterbacks, and a twelve million dollar linebacker. if i am a gm im am not giving more than 8 million to any linebacker just because they are linebackers you should be paying the guys infront of them, besides thats how you make linebackers look good.

oh well were 2-0

Om

Reaction score
You know, coming here every few days to find the latest Skins threads bouncing around the front page, all featuring the same recycled fanspeak perfected over the past half-dozen or so years---imminent cap hell; no talent or depth; owner-GM; no chemistry, ho hope, no way, etc., etc., etc.---I can't help but think that for many of your sakes, you better hope you're right. Because the alternative is going to be just SO much fun for some of us to watch some of you try to assimilate. :)

Gent

Reaction score
I think Jansen's return will be a big boost for their O-line. Having Arrington healthy will be big too.

Losing Smoot could create a domino effect in their defense, however. I was under the impression that Shawn Springs was having a revival of his career, but after reading KC Joyner's analysis in the "The Football Scientist", it appears that Springs' good stats are largely due to luck. Joyner feels that Springs is not a good cornerback.

This uncertainty in the secondary coupled with their lack of pass rush reminds me of our situation last year. Our D went from statistically #1 to below average. It wouldn't surprise me to see Commander offense look better, while their D takes a step backwards.

Even so, I'm guessing Gibbs will get his act together better this year and improve by one or two wins.

-Gent

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Om said:
You know, coming here every few days to find the latest Skins threads bouncing around the front page, all featuring the same recycled fanspeak perfected over the past half-dozen or so years---imminent cap hell; no talent or depth; owner-GM; no chemistry, ho hope, no way, etc., etc., etc.---I can't help but think that for many of your sakes, you better hope you're right. Because the alternative is going to be just SO much fun for some of us to watch some of you try to assimilate. :)

Seems fair, after the way you guys told us how the Skins were on the way back the last coupla years, only to have reality slap you upside the head... it was lots of fun watching you guys come slowly to the realization that your team was awfully bad last year, in spite of having the top ranked defense...

Om

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Seems fair, after the way you guys told us how the Skins were on the way back the last coupla years, only to have reality slap you upside the head... it was lots of fun watching you guys come slowly to the realization that your team was awfully bad last year, in spite of having the top ranked defense...

Convenient as it is for you to emply a classic straw man like that, SB, "us guys" are hardly a monolithic entity. Many of us fully expected Gibbs to need a couple of years to stop the bleeding and get the program turned around to the point of being a playoff contender again ... and said so.

And many of us look at the place the team is today, compare it to where it was on the day Gibbs was rehired, and see that progress moving apace. That's why these days I'm enjoying watching those of you (note the advised use of qualifier) still stolidly beating the drums of status-quo with a growing sense of bemusement.

And why I'm going to be enjoy continuing to follow your dissection of all things Commander over the next few seasons. :)

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Om said:
Don't worry, your team succeeding isn't even a remote possibilty.

Om

Reaction score
Tio said:

Define "succeeding," my humorous friend ... or was that just a drive-by?

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Om said:
Define "succeeding," my humorous friend ... or was that just a drive-by?
I'm pretty sure that is spelled correctly...*goes to spell check*

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
I meant, they won't make the playoffs. The defense has downgraded at cb and mlb. The offense downgraded at wr, and upgraded on the ol. Thats not a formula for improving.

Om

Reaction score
Geez, this is painful.

We're not talking about the spelling of the word, oh wise and humorous one ... we're talking about the meaning of the word, in the context you elected to employ it.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Om said:
Geez, this is painful.

We're not talking about the spelling of the word, oh wise and humorous one ... we're talking about the meaning of the word, in the context you elected to employ it.
Read last post.

Om

Reaction score
Tio said:
I meant, they won't make the playoffs. The defense has downgraded at cb and mlb. The offense downgraded at wr, and upgraded on the ol. Thats not a formula for improving.

Ah. I see you figured at least the spelling vs. meaning part on your own.

As to the rest ... so if Washington improves from 5-11 to, say, 10-6, but misses the playoffs, that in your view would still not be "even remotely succeeding?"

Just trying to keep up here.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Om said:

That is no different than any Cowboy thread on the front page at Extremeskins with the usual silly and oh so predictable , and moaning about how your team has been cheated out of victories against the Cowboys.

And don't worry, if the Commanders turn it around, your amusement at our expense will be nothing compared to the bleeting and whining that has come from your camp for quite some time.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Om said:
Ah. I see you figured at least the spelling vs. meaning part on your own.

As to the rest ... so if Washington improves from 5-11 to, say, 10-6, but misses the playoffs, that in your view would still not be "even remotely succeeding?"

Just trying to keep up here.
I guess you want to play stupid and make me tell you what I mean to an exact point. Fine by me.
The skins won't have a winning record in the upcoming season...

Om

Reaction score
Alexander said:
That is no different than any Cowboy thread on the front page at Extremeskins with the usual silly and oh so predictable , and moaning about how your team has been cheated out of victories against the Cowboys.

And don't worry, if the Commanders turn it around, your amusement at our expense will be nothing compared to the bleeting and whining that has come from your camp for quite some time.

Different thread, same faces, huh Alex?

My fun won't be at everyone's expense, hermano---I'll be quite selective. :)

Om

Reaction score
Tio said:
I guess you want to play stupid and make me tell you what I mean to an exact point. Fine by me.
The skins won't have a winning record in the upcoming season...

"Exact point"? Hardly.

After a statement like this...

... I'd have settled for a dull instrument. Looks like I found one.

I'm thinking Washington finishes '05 anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6, depending on health and the bounces of a funny-shaped ball over the course of a long season. Anything more would be gravy. My feeling is they're making steady progress rebuilding a moribund program, but are probably still a year away from being a real factor in the NFC beyond wildcard hopeful.

Not having "a winning record" is one way of looking at the world, I suppose. Just a limited one.

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
As far as "every year" being cap hell for the Commanders, that's not true, everyone has been pointing out for the last couple years that 2006 was the crucial year for the Commanders cap. This isn't a case of "same story, different year".

The cap problems they faced this year were just a bonus. 2006 is when the crap hits the fan.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
TobiasEagle77 said:
As far as "every year" being cap hell for the Commanders, that's not true, everyone has been pointing out for the last couple years that 2006 was the crucial year for the Commanders cap. This isn't a case of "same story, different year".

The cap problems they faced this year were just a bonus. 2006 is when the crap hits the fan.

As much as it pains me to agree with an Eagles fan, I believe you might be right.

2006 might be the year the other shoe finally drops. Our cap hell year was 2003. We bit the bullets from Aikman, Emmitt and others (I think we were still paying for Haley and Novacek then right LOL). You can run, but you cannot hide. This season they started breaking out into a full trot.