2009 Draft "Needs" list?

Verdict

Reaction score
Here are some thoughts about what I think the Cowboys needs are for next years roster:

1. A huge "beast" at NT so that Ratliff can move to DE in the 3-4
2. A road grader at guard of at least "average starting quality" who can back up Kosier/Davis and eventually replace either.
3. A left tackle. Flozell is getting really long in the tooth, and I don't think moving Davis to tackle is the answer, although it might be serviceable as a short term band-aid.
4. Greg Ellis' replacement. I think Ware and Spencer are the starters, but we need a young rotational player. You can never have enough pass rushers.
5. We still need some saftey help. I don't think Watkins is good enough to ever be a starter in this league. Regardless of whether Roy Williams (38) stays or goes, we need help here.
6. We need to draft stud special teams players. This unit needs help.
7. I think we need to get a massive inside linebacker who can really commit to stopping the run.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
They might look for OL help in free agency. I would like to see them draft a early round safety and a mid round QB.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
How can u forget, we need a backup QB also, who is capable of starting, although I think we get that in FA, midus well draft one also.....

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
i think it would be better to find a DE then move Ratliff. There's really isn't a huge NT that's going to be there by our 2nd round pick....It's going to be hard for any NT to replicate the success that Ratliff is having.

Verdict

Reaction score
lurkercowboy;2442681 said:
They might look for OL help in free agency. I would like to see them draft a early round safety and a mid round QB.

I agree that we need a quality backup who can be groomed to start when Romo is out due to an injury.

reddyuta

Reaction score
1)OG
2)SS
3)OT
4)NT
5)QB

we need to draft a late rd QB.we will not need all the picks we have so i see a lot of trades come draft day.

Verdict

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2442685 said:
i think it would be better to find a DE then move Ratliff. There's really isn't a huge NT that's going to be there by our 2nd round pick....It's going to be hard for any NT to replicate the success that Ratliff is having.

I am not so sure about your comment. I think it is a LOT easier to find rare gems at certain positions than others. The premium positions LT, DE, QB, WR, CB, Pass rusher, don't usually fall very far. There are often finds at safety, nose tackle, kicker, punter, deep snapper, middle linebacker, and special teams in the later rounds. I think it would be much easier to get a guy to clog the middle late than it would be to draft a pass rushing DE. That is one of the reasons we switched to a 3-4 ..... it is really hard to find a good pash rushing DE. I think Ratliff would be better suited to play that role, and at a great cost reduction.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
speed on D
speed on D
speed on D

which means fast ILB
fast FS

a NT so that Rat can move to DE, a player similar to Rat the NT would be who I'm looking for

a penetrating DE to replace Bowen and/or Hatcher, even Canty

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I'd freak if we could land Michael Oher from Ole Miss. He could replace either OT but unless we gut a future draft that's not going to happen.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Verdict;2442705 said:
I am not so sure about your comment. I think it is a LOT easier to find rare gems at certain positions than others. The premium positions LT, DE, QB, WR, CB, Pass rusher, don't usually fall very far. There are often finds at safety, nose tackle, kicker, punter, deep snapper, middle linebacker, and special teams in the later rounds. I think it would be much easier to get a guy to clog the middle late than it would be to draft a pass rushing DE. That is one of the reasons we switched to a 3-4 ..... it is really hard to find a good pash rushing DE. I think Ratliff would be better suited to play that role, and at a great cost reduction.

What I'm saying is that it's going to be hard to find a NT come and produce like ratliff is hell next year ratliff might not even produce like this next year. Finding a 3-4 NT to anchor our D is going to be hard and considering the way Ratliff has played we shouldn't be to quick to try and move him.

Bob Sacamano;2442707 said:
speed on D
speed on D
speed on D

which means fast ILB
fast FS

a NT so that Rat can move to DE, a player similar to Rat the NT would be who I'm looking for

a penetrating DE to replace Bowen and/or Hatcher, even Canty

What ILB do you think would be a fit?

Yeagermeister;2442715 said:
I'd freak if we could land Michael Oher from Ole Miss. He could replace either OT but unless we gut a future draft that's not going to happen.

He might be the #1 pick in the draft.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Give me a couple smart guys that give 110% every play and I'll be happy, regardless of position.

WG5516

Reaction score
No need to draft a backup QB, because Michael Vick will be our new backup QB.

WG5516

Reaction score
Achozen;2442768 said:

It makes sense. He won't come at a HIGH price. It's not like the guy is flat out awful. He's entertaining and can sell seats. Plus a lot of teams that SHOULD pick him wont, because Jerruh has the commissioner in his back pocket and they'll consider the dog killer high risk. The Cowboys have rehabilitated players before and come this off-season Vick will be Jerruh's new project after he's fixed Pacman.