2010 Winter Olympics

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Had a good time at Canada Hockey Place last night. We dominated the Swiss 46-23 in shots and the Swiss played more not to lose than to win, lined four guys on the blue line and defended all third period (shots were 18-3 for Canada in the period).

There were some major teeth gnashing at the game, my sister almost got an ulcer in the third period. Nice shootout win for us.

Pool A winner decided Sunday at 4:30pm between USA and Canada.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
watched the britain v germany curling. good win for us. i think its the only event where i have to support a country as the team is made up of scots. everything else i get to just watch and enjoy and not have to support anyone in particular.
downhill is always exciting and i have to say i enjoy the snowboard cross or whatever it was called the other day, four boarders racing at one time.

edit: how insane is the skeleton? i want to know who looked at the luge and thought nah that looks a bit tame, i'll go headfirst

Ren

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3282654 said:
Britain won gold in girls' skeleton

Karma is indeed a ***** :bang2:

I spent all day today talking smack to my British friend about how they sucked at pretty much everything, opening my inbox tomorrow should be fun

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3282557 said:
former silver medallist from Canada Elvis Stojko said the same thing, I don't agree with him but he is saying that the judging is wrong when you can win and not land a quad when another does

BTW, what was up with Weir's hat of roses>?

Plushenko has been a really sore loser in this whole thing...

So... if you TRULY are the best in the world, beat him on an "elementary" program...

Oh wait... you didn't...

The rules are the same across the board... Plushanko is looking like an arse...

Had he won the gold, you would not have heard a peep out of him...

I guess if i had a nose like that, I would be bitter as well...

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I think you should have at least to try a quad to win but in a judged sport, you will never satisfy everyone.

burmafrd

Reaction score
lyc skated better that night- Plushenko was not at his best-lyc won. And that is the way it should be. Plushenko had the more difficult program but he did not really shine in the difficult moves and had several of them downgraded. Lyc had a simpler program but not that much less and he really skated well.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
e REAL medal count: Germany ahead of U.S.
By Chris Chase
ept_sports_oly_experts-581683889-1266611657.jpg

What's the key to the United States putting on its best performance in Winter Olympic history? According to the Winter Games debut of Fourth-Place Medal's "real" medal count, it has a lot to do with judged sports.

When throwing out the results of all events tainted by the influence of judges, the U.S. loses its commanding lead in the medal count to Germany. This stands in stark contrast to the Beijing Games, when the United States moved ahead of China in the standings after counting sports that can only be decided on the field of play.

That's the way we like it: medals determined solely by the athletes and not by faceless men and women in garish blazers. In a perfect world, judges would be impartial and fair and every event would be decided by the same set of criteria, but they're not. Judges are humans who are influenced by outside factors like reputations, nationalities and fan support. This often manifests itself in judging, which makes the results of these sports controversial. Nobody asked whether Lindsey Vonn deserved to win the downhill gold, she just did. Evan Lysacek's victory in men's figure skating was questioned within seconds.

In our tally of the Winter Olympics we've thrown out the results of all events in which judging plays a role in determining the outcome. Eight of the 38 events completed so far fall into this category: figure skating (men's and pairs), halfpipe (men's and women's), moguls (men's and women's), ski jumping (men's) and Nordic combined (men's). The new-look medal count is as follows (totals as of Saturday morning):
http://i5.***BLOCKED***/albums/y164/nbr1diva/ept_sports_oly_experts-715600723-12.jpg​
Based on our revised count, the United States loses a whopping nine medals, almost half of its total haul of 20 thus far in Vancouver. That's as many medals in judged events as the next nine countries on the list combined.

Germany only has one medal in judged sports, cleaning up in sports like skiing, luge and biathlon instead. Norway, who currently leads in the "real" medal count, loses no awards, not surprising since the European countries tend to be stronger in traditional sports rather than the extreme sports in which American Winter Olympians thrive. Canada moves from fourth to sixth.

Ren

Reaction score
Norway is a funny place, most would say our medal count so far is impressive for such a small country (less then 5 million people) but if you where to read the headlines here today you'd think we where the worst country there.

That's what coming in as #11 in mens cross country skiing does here :laugh2:

I now think we'll end with 7 golds and while that's not a disaster it's far from good enough here

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3283794 said:
e REAL medal count: Germany ahead of U.S.
By Chris Chase
ept_sports_oly_experts-581683889-1266611657.jpg

What's the key to the United States putting on its best performance in Winter Olympic history? According to the Winter Games debut of Fourth-Place Medal's "real" medal count, it has a lot to do with judged sports.
So there's some sort of pro-American bias in the "judged" events? :lmao:

burmafrd

Reaction score
virtually all sports have some kind of judging involved. Only a lot of time that is done by referee's. Short track skating has so much bumping and pushing and grabbing going on that just about everyone can get disqualified in any race.
The only ones that really quesioned Lycaceks win are the ones that did not watch it- and russians. And how one thinks the US gets the benefits of judging are beyond me- most of the time we do not. So that actually makes it tougher winning then in the so called "real sports". Actually what this is is another elite media hacks whine piece.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3283478 said:
will be a national disgrace/embarrassment if we lose tomorrow

Winner gets bye to QF
oops.

But really? A national disgrace? This isn't the 1980 American team. These are pros. And they're a blue-collar team. They have the ability to beat anyone.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
This Hockey sport is kinda fun to watch.

Is it a big deal in Canada or something?