***2013 NFL DRAFT ROUND 4, 5, 6 and 7 Discussion Thread***

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I know nothing about him...

But switching schemes requires new LBers.

Ware and Spencer were lost to the DL. Wilber, apparently, too. Lee, Carter, Sims remain at LB. Durant was added.

Not surprising they needed another LBer.

Plankton

Reaction score
Holloman is a guy who will be a core special teams player, and a backup. Can't say that I would expect him to be a starter down the line, but you never know. I would have rolled the dice on an end with good measurables, but not a lot of production:

What I would have done - DE Cornelius Washington - Georgia

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Former SS, looks like the guy can move a bit despite the slow 40. However, every year we assume all these guys will make the roster and become players.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OVERVIEW
Holloman signed with the Gamecocks as a highly regarded prep prospect and quickly forced his way into the starting lineup despite the fact that South Carolina featured a veteran-laded defense in 2009.
Much more athletic than his size would suggest, Holloman played in every game and started two at strong safety, recording 30 tackles and an interception. He started 10 of 14 games at strong safety as a true sophomore, ranking third on the team with 69 tackles and also chipping in two interceptions and forcing a fumble.

As Holloman continued to get bigger and stronger (and yet maintained his speed), South Carolina experimented with moving him closer to the line of scrimmage. He was slated to begin the season at the "spur" position but saw his time there shortened after being arrested and charged with a DUI.

South Carolina does not allow its athletes to practice with the team when suspended, so his practice at the new position was shortened. Holloman, nonetheless, started the first two games upon his return at the spur but was eventually moved back to strong safety to finish the year. He missed the first two games of the season due to suspension but finished with 51 tackles, including four for loss and intercepting another pass.

ANALYSIS
Strengths: Athletic-looking frame with a sturdy, thick base and long arms. Exhibits strong play-recognition and anticipation against the pass. Diagnoses the run early, and takes good angles to the football. Anticipates and approaches the gap with good timing on runs between the tackles.
Possesses ample lower body strength that helps to compensate for lack of flexibility when asked to hold ground/stack at the second level. Exhibits good backfield vision through traffic. Displays good instincts and timing when asked to make a play on the ball in the air. High-motor, aggressive player who doesn't shy away from making big-time contact.

Negatives: Lack of flexibility and first-step explosion from a stop hampers his ability to recover when he has over-shot his gap, or on cutback run plays that require him to redirect. Lacks fluidity to turn and run with tight ends or receivers down the field, without losing a step.

Only marginal top-end speed for the position. Doesn't get his arms extended enough when taking on blocks, and is too easily driven out of the play as a result. Pretty stiff laterally.

Compares to: Mike Morgan, OLB, Seattle Seahawks - While Morgan and Holloman are very different athletes, they have a few common limitations that have kept them from becoming high-impact linebackers throughout their careers. A lack of flexibility and agility has been a huge impedement to Morgan's growth despite possessing elite speed, wheras with Holloman, it's his "plus" instincts that have been neutralized by the same limitations.

He seems to know what's going on, but struggles to consistently get there and make the play. His initial value will probably be best captured as a special teams contributor, but perhaps a move to the inside could help to mask some of his limitations in space, and give him a chance to contribute as a rotational piece down the road.

--Derek Stephens

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Great. Another slow LB. But he actually plays faster than his woeful Combine 40 (only 15 reps as well). He's a converted S. I honestly don't remember the guy and I watched some of those games.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OVERVIEW
Holloman made the transition from strong safety to “Spur," a hybrid safety/linebacker position, for his senior year after it was held by Antonio Allen (who was drafted by the New York Jets in the seventh round last April) the past three seasons. His growing frame, agility in coverage, and hard-hitting attitude made him a natural fit for this position.

He was considered one of the top high school players in North Carolina before moving to South Carolina for his senior season, and didn’t disappoint there, leading South Point High School to a state title. He got onto the field immediately as a true freshman, playing in 13 games (two starts at strong safety, 30 tackles, interception), and then became a regular starter in 2010 (10 starts in 14 games played, 69 tackles, two interceptions, three pass breakups). A preseason DUI arrest cost him the 2011 opener, and he only started two games, but he was still quite productive (51 tackles, four for loss, interception, four pass break-ups). As a senior on a very talented South Carolina defense, Holloman managed 55 tackles (eight for loss), two sacks, and three interceptions.
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Versatile defender with a strong overall build. Plays over the tight end, in the slot, in the stack. Long, thick arms make him a secure tackler once latching on, brings pop to his stops whether in the open field or backfield. Moves well laterally. Takes on blocks in the open field extremely well. Locks out arms, and anchors in. Showcases violent hands in ripping off blocks. Stands his ground, or lowers a shoulder against pulling guards and tight end blocks on the edge, providing containment. Offers strength and speed as a blitzer. Former safety shows some agility to stay with tight ends and some receivers off the line. Shows some hustle across the field and chasing plays from behind. Take advantage of poor throws to secure interceptions with his hands, looking the ball in even if it’s away from his frame.

WEAKNESSES Average fluidity and flexibility, often lunges for tackles. Will need to prove straight-line speed, seems to lack the ability to recover or track down faster ballcarriers from behind. Could be more physical knocking receivers off their routes off the line, and has the strength to do so.

NFL COMPARISON Chad Greenway

BOTTOM LINE After starting 14 games at strong safety in his first three seasons, Holloman moved to the “Spur” hybrid position for 2012, showing off his ability to lay the wood and move in coverage. If teams he can show well on special teams and hold his own against NFL linemen against the run, Holloman could be a solid Saturday draft pick as a Sam 'backer, and a likely candidate to outplay his draft position.

ologan

Reaction score
Rack Bauer;5067824 said:
I saw where it lists Jimmy Johnson as an all American but not jerry.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...3YGgDQ&usg=AFQjCNFyK3mrUYx8-0d3pzks9BDaJWtZag

That's true, and he was all SWC first team. If memory serves, and Jobb is right that I am old (but not senile or feeble), J. Jones was either 2nd. team or honorable mention, which makes sense that he wouldn't hang too much credence on it since he was 'outdid' by Jimmy. Even back then the competition was fierce.

fishspill

Reaction score
I have no idea about this round, so I'm going to support this pick idea.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
DWAREZ;5067886 said:
so he will lose 40 lbs to play S...:laugh1::lmao2:

or 10. Kam Chancellor is 230 ;)

I think he's a ST guy, wouldn't worry about where he fits in the regular packages just yet.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
220 isn't that crazy. But yes, I realize it will probably not happen.