2014-15 European Soccer thread (Premier League, Champions league, etc)

BigDGarciaFan

Reaction score
the Barclays Premier league kickoffs in 2 weeks.

check out Manchester United's Chevrolet commercial

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
My team just got a massive let off. Humiliating 6-1 defeat over 2 legs to Legia Warsaw but we go through because they brought on a suspended player for the last 3 minutes. Very harsh on them. We need to improve massively or it's going to be a long hard season

joseephuss

Reaction score
My team just got a massive let off. Humiliating 6-1 defeat over 2 legs to Legia Warsaw but we go through because they brought on a suspended player for the last 3 minutes. Very harsh on them. We need to improve massively or it's going to be a long hard season

Yep, that was a strange situation. Rules are rules, but it hardly seems fitting.

joseephuss

Reaction score
That was a bit strange. Rules are rules, but the penalty was harsh.

I was listening to talkSport earlier this week. ( http://talksport.com/ ) They had an extensive discussion over a few of their shows about EPL potentially playing games in the U.S.. Not just exhibition/preseason games, but regular league games. They compared it to the NFL playing games in London. Most of the commentators talked about the growing interest of the NFL games and how those games played in London have grown in popularity each year. Perhaps they can do the same thing and get a few EPL games played in the U.S. and gain larger fan bases. A couple of commentators even suggested that it won't be too long before there is an EPL team not based in England and they weren't just referring to Wales.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
Should have been a fine and the result stood in my opinion given the score and the time he played. On the other hand I guess they were worried that if something similar happens in the future that actually did impact the outcome they could be argued to have set a precedent if Legia stayed in.

UKCowboysFan

Reaction score
Yep, that was a strange situation. Rules are rules, but it hardly seems fitting.

Should have been a fine and the result stood in my opinion given the score and the time he played. On the other hand I guess they were worried that if something similar happens in the future that actually did impact the outcome they could be argued to have set a precedent if Legia stayed in.

Except that we all know that if Man Utd, Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern (in fact any of the big clubs) did the same they wouldn't be thrown out of the competition

BigDGarciaFan

Reaction score
Arsenal(FA Cup Champion) def Manchester City(Premier League Champion) 3-0 to win the FA Community Shield.

ok 6 days away till the kickoff of the Barclay's Premier League. remember that most games will air every weekend on the NBC family of networks(NBC and NBC Sports Network, i think CNBC may air some games as well).

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I've been sort of getting into soccer lately (been playing lots of FIFA and it's fun) and I'll definitely be watching some EPL this year. I picked my favorite team to be Newcastle United. I love that stadium.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Not most games, all the games. NBC set up a nice package last season where they broadcast every EPL game live.

That, moreso than the World Cup, will grow the sport in this country.
I saw all but 2 or 3 Chelsea games last year.
Anyone that wants to follow an EPL club is lucky, lucky, lucky.
My 1st year following Chelsea I saw about 10 games on TV. I caught another 10 via streaming in a 5 inch box.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Well, we finally completed the mangala deal. I like our team quite a bit, with the exception of GK. Joe Hart is overrated crap and while caballero isn't too shabby, he is just a little too small IMO. I wish we could get some giant dude thats good like courtouis (sp?)

So long as kun, silva, yaya and Kompany stay healthy, we have a great chance at defending the title and making a deep run in the champions league. That's a big "if" though, those guys tend to get hurt quite easily.

BigDGarciaFan

Reaction score
Real Madrid(European Cup Champion) def Sevilla(UEFA Cup Champion) 2-0 last night to win the Super Cup.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I hope Howard is right.
I'd love to see Chelsea Everton finish 1-2.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
No one will be able to stop REAL MADRID IMO. Yedlin just got inked by the Spurs . Would've rather had him go to Roma but nonetheless a good move.

UKCowboysFan

Reaction score
There is a lot of talk of the Premier League having a 39th game, with each of the teams playing a game overseas.

So, my question to the guys there that follow the Premier League is, would you pay to go & watch a game if it were in the US.

And if so, would you only go if YOUR team were playing, or would you pay to go and watch any game.

Whereas I can see the demand for Chelsea v Man City being large enough, I can't imaging Hull City v Stoke City being a big draw

joseephuss

Reaction score
Stoke City may bring some fans because American Geoff Cameron is on that team, but unless there is a connection there probably won't be sell outs for lesser teams. The bigger clubs will get good turn outs. There were huge numbers for the exhibition games played recently across the U.S. and those weren't cheap tickets. I imagine a game with Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, ManU or ManCity would get a large crowd.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-the-39th-game-abroad-might-soon-be-a-reality

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'd go see a handful of teams: Chelsea, Everton for sure.
I'd go see Tott if Yedlin is playing.
I'd probably go see Man City and Manu U just to see the talent level on the field.
I don't know if I could drag myself to a liverpool game but it'd sell out here in Dallas without issue.

One thing I like about the idea is perhaps it makes EPL teams more active in recruiting American players.

If I did go to a game I'd drag people with me.

The pre-season games have sold well so I can imagine the regular season EPL games doing very well and drawing tons of media attention which is probably the bigger goal.