2014 QB Class is STACKED - Cowboys Options

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Cowboys won't be picking a QB in the 1st or 2nd rounds in April. Romo's signed for awhile. They may the following year. Next year they'll focus on the DL and OL's. At least I hope.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Cowboys will draft Aaron Murray in the 4th (he'll slip due to torn ACL) or Jimmy Garoppolo in the 5th-6th. That's what I'm thinking at this point.

IlliniNation

Reaction score
Awesome, let us know how he looks. He only needs 5 TD passes to become the NCAA all-time career leader just fyi.

Yea I saw that. I hope he does it!! Wind chill of 21 and snow at game time. I hope I make the whole game!!

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Jimmy g is probably going to be a 2 nd round pick,

Yea he's definitely gaining more notoriety as the season is coming to an end, but I still think with the depth at QB in this draft that some of then are going to slip a bit. All depends on what teams fall in love with what prospects. I still think Murray and Mettenberger slip the most due to their ACL tears and inability to participate in the combine. I could see the Cowboys taking either of them in the 4th-5th and trying to develop them.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yea he's definitely gaining more notoriety as the season is coming to an end, but I still think with the depth at QB in this draft that some of then are going to slip a bit. All depends on what teams fall in love with what prospects. I still think Murray and Mettenberger slip the most due to their ACL tears and inability to participate in the combine. I could see the Cowboys taking either of them in the 4th-5th and trying to develop them.

Agree on mett and Murray, their injuries could aid us, IF we look for a development guy

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Updated QB rankings for the 2014 NFL Draft (undeclared QB's expected to declare):

1. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville (undeclared)
2. Derek Carr, Fresno State
3. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M (undeclared)
4. Blake Bortles, UCF (undeclared)
5. A.J. McCarron, Alabama
6. Tajh Boyd, Clemson
7. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
8. Zach Mettenberger, LSU
9. Aaron Murray, Georgia
10. David Fales, San Jose State
11. Stephen Morris, Miami
12. Brett Smith, Wyoming
13. Jeff Matthews, Cornell
14. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech
15. Connor Shaw, South Carolina

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys will draft Aaron Murray in the 4th (he'll slip due to torn ACL) or Jimmy Garoppolo in the 5th-6th. That's what I'm thinking at this point.

It would be a good way to avoid carrying 3 QBs on the active roster. Just put him on IR his rookie year and make him the #2 in year 2.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
It would be great if the Cowboys could draft Mariota next year. Let him sit behind Tony for a couple of years and then turn the team over to him.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
It would be great if the Cowboys could draft Mariota next year. Let him sit behind Tony for a couple of years and then turn the team over to him.

My dream scenario. He's still only 20 (will be 21 when he comes out) so waiting and learning for a couple years would be perfect. He's really athletic so we wouldn't have to change the offense much, if at all, and could even throw some bootlegs in the playbook for him. He's got all the intangibles, plus the strong arm, and on top of all that he's a good kid that'll likely never have off-the-field issues. Would be a great situation. My hunch is that we draft someone in the mid-to-late rounds this year though unfortunately.

RS12

Reaction score
132436.jpg

Jimmy Garoppolo | Quarterback
Team: Eastern Illinois Panthers
Ht / Wt: 6'2' / 222

LATEST NEWS
RECENT NEWS

Eastern Illinois senior QB Jimmy Garoppolo will attend the East-West Shrine Game.
It is another great get for the Shrine Game, but we wouldn't be surprised if Garoppolo ultimately ends up in the Senior Bowl if another quarterback drops out. Garoppolo has a legitimate shot at a top two round selection thanks to his quick decision making, mobility, and willingness to test every level of the defense. He is the best prospect at the all star event. Dec 24 - 12:11 PM
Source: Shrine Game on Facebook

RS12

Reaction score
Miami QB playing for draft status
07:44 AM ET 12.25 | Stephen Morris came into the 2013 season with a heaping helping of hype. He is leaving it with more hope than hype. Morris has made his mark in the Hurricanes' history books, but he has not had the consistency many expected after stringing 139 consecutive passes (and 11 touchdowns) without an interception to finish the 2012 season. His bionic arm has often dazzled -- and just as often disappointed. Now, the senior quarterback for Miami (9-3) is feeling stronger after playing much of the season with a severe ankle bruise. He will enter the Russell Athletic Bowl against No. 18 Louisville (11-1) on Saturday with one last chance to fortify his NFL Draft worth in his final game as a Hurricane. Can one game make a difference? "Absolutely," said ESPN commentator Rod Gilmore.

Miami Herald

strasscat

Reaction score
Boyd and Bridgewater are the only one i really think will be starters in the NFL.

RS12

Reaction score
QB Bortles receives 1st-round grade from NFL
132013.jpg

UCF redshirt junior QB Blake Bortles received mostly first-round grades from the draft advisory board, reports CBS Sports' Jeremy Fowler.

After Wednesday's 52-42 upset win over Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl, NFL.com's Gil Brandt tweeted that Bortles was waiting on the advisory board's opinion before deciding whether or not he'd declare for the 2014 NFL Draft. Now that he's received the first-round answer most suspected, expect Bortles to make the leap; he has until Jan. 15 to officially do so. ESPN's Todd McShay has ranked the 6-foot-5, 230-pounder as the second-best quarterback prospect.
Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter
Jan 3 - 8:44 PM

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Brett Smith, Matthews and Murray are top of the list for me given I doubt the team will use a very high pick on a QB.