2014 QB Class is STACKED - Cowboys Options

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Really think the Cowboys need to start planning for the future.

Have to say AJ McCarron impresses me every time I see him play, and not just for his taste in women. Guy has great command and can make all the throws, not sure why people are luke warm to him. If the Boys could snag him in the third rd, I would be ecstatic.

Having said that Derek Carr is still my favorite QB in this draft class bar none and Bridgewater is no joke.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Mariota is coming back for another year. Hundley said earlier that he'd come back as well as long as Mora stays at UCLA but I don't know if this will make him change his mind. Anywho, the 2015 Draft is starting to look like the way to go at QB instead of this one.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
shame for us, we need all these top underclassmen to declare hopefully pushing more quality down the drasft.
Not sure why Mariota not coming out though, would have been a ntop 3 pick imo

IAmLegend

Reaction score
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter6m
THIS JUST IN: LSU QB Zach Mettenberger has torn ACL; will not play in bowl game. (via @caplannfl)

Looks like another QB prospect has a torn ACL. He was having by far the best year of his college career and some were saying he had working his way into a late first round draft pick. I bet he slips now, along with Murray. Could be options in the middle rounds for the Cowboys.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Marcus Mariota deciding to return to school also shakes up the draft big time. He definitely would've been a top-15 pick, likely top 7.

RS12

Reaction score
Blake Bortles - QB - Golden Knights
UCF redshirt junior Blake Bortles ranks as Scouts Inc.'s No. 2 QB in the 2014 class.

Marcus Mariota was the top ranked passer, but he has been removed from the list. Teddy Bridgewater earned a grade of 93, but Bortles is just behind with a 92. All indications point to Bortles returning, but recent developments in the quarterback group could launch him to the NFL. His mannerisms remind us a lot of Andrew Luck, but he will probably earn a "poor man's version" tag with that comparison.

Source: ESPN
Dec 4 - 2:44 PM

XxTDxX

Reaction score
Romo is the guy for at least another 2-3 years.. This is not the year to draft a QB.. When the time comes to draft a QB we should do it in the first round with a guy we love which would be dumb at this point.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
Romo is the guy for at least another 2-3 years.. This is not the year to draft a QB.. When the time comes to draft a QB we should do it in the first round with a guy we love which would be dumb at this point.

You don't wait until the last minute to draft a qb, when you have the philosophy of "we need to draft a qb 2015" that's how you end up reaching on guys because you are limiting yourself to the prospects that come out that year. If there's a guy we like draft him regardless of how much longer we would hope Romo plays.

XxTDxX

Reaction score
You don't wait until the last minute to draft a qb, when you have the philosophy of "we need to draft a qb 2015" that's how you end up reaching on guys because you are limiting yourself to the prospects that come out that year. If there's a guy we like draft him regardless of how much longer we would hope Romo plays.

You also don't want to use 1st rounder on a QB 3 years before he has to play and leave the current group of guys with less help because you are worried about 4 years from now. If somehow a guy like Derek Carr fell to them in the 2nd round I would be on board with that but this team is too close to winning the division every single year to not try and build on what we have right now.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
You also don't want to use 1st rounder on a QB 3 years before he has to play and leave the current group of guys with less help because you are worried about 4 years from now. If somehow a guy like Derek Carr fell to them in the 2nd round I would be on board with that but this team is too close to winning the division every single year to not try and build on what we have right now.

I think we'd all like Romo to play for another 3-4 years but the reality is we have no idea if he will play that long, he has taken some tough hits in his time here. I'm not saying to reach on anyone, but if a guy they think will be the long term answer post-Romo is there you pull the trigger,in whatever round.

“Although we’ve just signed Romo, there’s a time when you start at quarterback, preparing for the future” -Jerry Jones

XxTDxX

Reaction score
I think we'd all like Romo to play for another 3-4 years but the reality is we have no idea if he will play that long, he has taken some tough hits in his time here. I'm not saying to reach on anyone, but if a guy they think will be the long term answer post-Romo is there you pull the trigger,in whatever round.

“Although we’ve just signed Romo, there’s a time when you start at quarterback, preparing for the future” -Jerry Jones

If he is truly a guy that everyone on staff believes is the long term answer I am on board with you.. But chances are wherever they pick in the 1st round the best guy on their board will not be a QB this year.. there are at least 4 or 5 teams ahead of them that will be in need of a QB and will be plucking 2nd round talents in round 1.. But yes if the best guy on their board is a QB and they believe he is something special I would be on board with that.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
If he is truly a guy that everyone on staff believes is the long term answer I am on board with you.. But chances are wherever they pick in the 1st round the best guy on their board will not be a QB this year.. there are at least 4 or 5 teams ahead of them that will be in need of a QB and will be plucking 2nd round talents in round 1.. But yes if the best guy on their board is a QB and they believe he is something special I would be on board with that.

:)

Having went through all that I'm hoping for a dt in the 1st, but if one of the top qbs slid and they took him I won't be mad.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score

I totally agree! Didn't we already go down this road before by not drafting Aikman's replacement and having to reach for guys like Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, and Drew Henson?!

tantrix1969

Reaction score
I totally agree! Didn't we already go down this road before by not drafting Aikman's replacement and having to reach for guys like Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, and Drew Henson?!

Yup, no Cowboys fan should want to see Jerry reaching for whichever qb catches his eye in a "must draft a qb" scenario. If that means only having a year or two left on our rookie qb's first contract so be it

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
Yup, no Cowboys fan should want to see Jerry reaching for whichever qb catches his eye in a "must draft a qb" scenario. If that means only having a year or two left on our rookie qb's first contract so be it

I know we didn't draft Hutchinson and Henson but we still reached for them because we didn't have a guy that we drafted that we felt could be our starting QB for years to come. Quincy Carter and Stephen McGee were the only QB's drafted since Aikman and that is so frustrating!