2014 Truck choice - thoughts needed

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research on new trucks lately. I've always been indifferent on brands. I could care less about ford vs chevy etc etc. I don't have a horse in the race. Although I do currently drive an F150 FX4.

The ford is nice. Powerful, and in my opinion has the best looking interior. Miles above toyota or Chevy. If you are going to buy an F150…google the 2015 model coming out later this year. If you like it, get it. If you don't like it….wait until they come out and you can get a screaming deal on a 2014 model. Gas mileage isn't great though. Not bad mind you, but not great. The ecoboost engine isn't giving people near the MPG's that ford said it would. You be the judge. My biggest complaint with Fords is the AC systems. They just can't compete with other car manufacturers. They just don't blow as cold as chevy. Not even close. Never have either. I've had several fords and they just never had great AC systems installed.

The GM's….. I was looking pretty hard at the Sierra's until I went to some GM forums. There are DIE HARD GM guys talking about how the current model Sierras and Silverado's are just pure junk. And these are guys that bleed GM colors. If you have kept up lately with the amount of recalls GM has had lately….you'll see why these guys are trashing these trucks.

Toyota… Without question the best built truck out there. Rock solid, and you'll never have to worry about it. But damn, the MPG on these trucks is horrendous. Sorry, but at $3.50 per gallon, you need to take this into serious consideration. Personally, I'm not a big fan of how they look, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Ram…..I have never been a Ram guy. Dodge always frightened me in terms on quality. But apparently all of those problems have been fixed. These are damn good looking trucks, but the big thing here is the ecodiesel engine. If you go onto the RAM forums, you will see what people are getting in real world driving. People are actually getting what Ram says they'd get. Between 28-30mpg for a full size truck. That is STAGGERING. In my f150, I put $100 per week in my tank. I get 14mpg. In the Ram, I would save $200 per month in fuel. Thats a jet ski payment (granted it would be forever).
The interiors of these trucks are really good looking. Right up there with the ford in my opinion. I believe it won truck of the year award the last two years as well. People are saying they are solid as a rock.

Great write-up. Appreciate it. A guy I worked with just bought a new Sierra. So far he's happy, nice truck. I drove it and it drives nice and is really quiet, hardly no road noise. My uncle owns a 2012 Ram and loves it, grew up a Ford guy, but says he doesn't see himself going back. I am thinking of waiting to see how the 2015 F150's look and see if that's an option or as you said, maybe get a sweet deal on a 2014.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Looking at going back to a truck. Had the following 3 in the mind and just wanted if anyone had 1 of the 3 and what there thoughts are. I've been reading the reviews of each, but was looking for personal experiences.

Sierra/Silverado Double Cab
F150 Supercrew
Tundra Double Cab

thanks for any info.

I had the same delimma last year . So I test drove all the trucks . As far as handling and smoothness this was the order I ranked them :
1. F-150
2. Tundra
3. Dodge Ram
4. Chevy 1500

The ford drove the best and was smooth . I wanted it , but one thing I didn't feel comfy with , the price . After researching the tundra is significantly cheaper with similiar bells and whistles . I wanted to go American but I couldn't justify the extra 8k for it . One of the great things about the tundra is it's a very large truck . Largest in the class. The double cab is equal to the crew cab in the f150 and 1500! Talk about $ saver !!!!

I couldn't be happier with the tundra it's the best veh I've ever owned . Looks mean too. Way better than Chevy or ram IMO.

cml750

Reaction score
Ford is the best by a long shot. The only thing I don't like about the new Fords is the dang blinker light.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research on new trucks lately. I've always been indifferent on brands. I could care less about ford vs chevy etc etc. I don't have a horse in the race. Although I do currently drive an F150 FX4.

The ford is nice. Powerful, and in my opinion has the best looking interior. Miles above toyota or Chevy. If you are going to buy an F150…google the 2015 model coming out later this year. If you like it, get it. If you don't like it….wait until they come out and you can get a screaming deal on a 2014 model. Gas mileage isn't great though. Not bad mind you, but not great. The ecoboost engine isn't giving people near the MPG's that ford said it would. You be the judge. My biggest complaint with Fords is the AC systems. They just can't compete with other car manufacturers. They just don't blow as cold as chevy. Not even close. Never have either. I've had several fords and they just never had great AC systems installed.

The GM's….. I was looking pretty hard at the Sierra's until I went to some GM forums. There are DIE HARD GM guys talking about how the current model Sierras and Silverado's are just pure junk. And these are guys that bleed GM colors. If you have kept up lately with the amount of recalls GM has had lately….you'll see why these guys are trashing these trucks.

Toyota… Without question the best built truck out there. Rock solid, and you'll never have to worry about it. But damn, the MPG on these trucks is horrendous. Sorry, but at $3.50 per gallon, you need to take this into serious consideration. Personally, I'm not a big fan of how they look, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Ram…..I have never been a Ram guy. Dodge always frightened me in terms on quality. But apparently all of those problems have been fixed. These are damn good looking trucks, but the big thing here is the ecodiesel engine. If you go onto the RAM forums, you will see what people are getting in real world driving. People are actually getting what Ram says they'd get. Between 28-30mpg for a full size truck. That is STAGGERING. In my f150, I put $100 per week in my tank. I get 14mpg. In the Ram, I would save $200 per month in fuel. Thats a jet ski payment (granted it would be forever).
The interiors of these trucks are really good looking. Right up there with the ford in my opinion. I believe it won truck of the year award the last two years as well. People are saying they are solid as a rock.

As a diehard GM guy I agree completely. My next truck will be the Ram. However gas aside I do love the new Tahoe what a slick looking ride. I've got so much money invested in my Silverado with all the add ins I just can't part with it yet. But because I live in SoCal and own a house in AZ on the river I've put a butt load of miles since 10 and now I've got 95k. I'm on my 3rd tranny because GM decided it was better to save money and send them over seas instead of letting American Transmission continue building them. Needless to say after the 2nd one I had the district manager and corp come to an agreement and had one ordered from AT and boom no issues. SMH GM! Losing diehards here like me soon.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I had the same delimma last year . So I test drove all the trucks . As far as handling and smoothness this was the order I ranked them :
1. F-150
2. Tundra
3. Dodge Ram
4. Chevy 1500

The ford drove the best and was smooth . I wanted it , but one thing I didn't feel comfy with , the price . After researching the tundra is significantly cheaper with similiar bells and whistles . I wanted to go American but I couldn't justify the extra 8k for it . One of the great things about the tundra is it's a very large truck . Largest in the class. The double cab is equal to the crew cab in the f150 and 1500! Talk about $ saver !!!!

I couldn't be happier with the tundra it's the best veh I've ever owned . Looks mean too. Way better than Chevy or ram IMO.

Then you really didn't do your research on the new Ram. By far the best bang for the buck on the market. Not trying to be come off like an ***. But as a gm guy and working in the biz as long as I have the Ram is the way to go.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Until you need work on it

My F-150 was the most "trouble free" vehicle I've ever owned.

The worst, by a million miles, is my current vehicle (Dodge Dart). At less than 9 months it already needed a new transmission. The skid plate popped off and broke (Chrysler warranty wouldn't cover it), passenger side visor broke off while I was driving it... alone, every once in awhile the speedo decides not to work, sometimes the dash lighting doesn't work, the 12v port doesn't work, the uConnect periodically "Forgets" the devices connected to it. The dual clutch shifter is made of plastic... a couple of weeks ago I had to slam on my breaks and swerve (sp?) to avoid hitting someone that pulled out in front of me, I had my hand on the shifter (cuz I had it in manual mode) and it broke. Chrysler warranty isn't covering that either.

That whole "Fix Or Repair Daily" BS has been a "thing" for decades. I don't know if it was true back in the day, but it's certainly just a load of complete BS today. Fords don't break down anymore than any other Make vehicle on the road today, and actually - in my opinion - breaks down quite LESS often.

You work at GM and prefer the Ram, I think it's safe to say you have a bit of bias against Ford, wouldn't you say?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

The worst, by a million miles, is my current vehicle (Dodge Dart). At less than 9 months it already needed a new transmission. The skid plate popped off and broke (Chrysler warranty wouldn't cover it), passenger side visor broke off while I was driving it... alone, every once in awhile the speedo decides not to work, sometimes the dash lighting doesn't work, the 12v port doesn't work, the uConnect periodically "Forgets" the devices connected to it. The dual clutch shifter is made of plastic... a couple of weeks ago I had to slam on my breaks and swerve (sp?) to avoid hitting someone that pulled out in front of me, I had my hand on the shifter (cuz I had it in manual mode) and it broke. Chrysler warranty isn't covering that either.

That whole "Fix Or Repair Daily" BS has been a "thing" for decades. I don't know if it was true back in the day, but it's certainly just a load of complete BS today. Fords don't break down anymore than any other Make vehicle on the road today, and actually - in my opinion - breaks down quite LESS often.

You work at GM and prefer the Ram, I think it's safe to say you have a bit of bias against Ford, wouldn't you say?

I said I work in the industry. No I don't work at GM, and yes I prefer the new Ram Ecodiesel. Like I stated before I'm a GM guy have my 383 stroker pushing 500hp in my El Camino and my naturally aspirated Big Block in my Boat none of the engines have given me an issue. My truck is lifted 10 inches and has 35's on it I tow in the dead heat at 110-120 degrees from Ca to AZ with no issues. The issues with the tranny as stated above were from the fact that GM wanted to save money therefor having China build it's trannys unlike before when AT use to build them. I now have an AT in my truck have 2 plus the orginal tranny in my truck and again zero issues.

Ford has cleaned up it's act a bit over the last 12 years or so with the transmissions and the steel block/aluminum heads that use to blow head gaskets, why? Because they heat up and expand and different temps. Now I don't know much about the improvements from they made on the triton motors since around 2001ish but I hear pretty good things. What's frustrated me about Ford is it's not a "truck" anymore it's a 40k v6 luxury car and if you want more power spend 50-60k. I am disappointed in GM for the hard stance on the diesel motor in a 1500 and I applaud Ram/VM for being the guys to pull it off they've built an amazing product that is affordable IMO.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
The government bailout has turned me against GM products.

Why because they had too many lines? Car product sucked and the money was paid back. Ford did a smart thing and saved their butts because they stuck to what made them money and never wavered from that and it worked. Also ford motor credit was very good when it came to structuring loans and working with clients. GM finance was terribly mismanaged and caused major issues down the line and because GM didn't focus on building better Cars (not SUV or Trucks) they had issues. However with the cars they are building now and with Ally being very solvent that shouldn't be an issue moving forward. But the whole bailout nonsense was really about the finance/banking aspect and not so much the automaker if that makes sense.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

BTW the Dart has had bad reviews since day one, but that has zero to do with the Ram. The Ecodiesel is by VM it is not a Chrysler product it's an Italian product and a very good one at that

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
A used Tacoma if you just need a bed and not a lot of towing capacity. You can get a great deal on a new truck right now with a lot off and 0% financing. They're all good. The GMC has the best reliability record which I found interesting. I don't buy more truck than I need. I have a 76 Cheyenne 4x4. Gas mileage sucks but its paid for.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Then you really didn't do your research on the new Ram. By far the best bang for the buck on the market. Not trying to be come off like an ***. But as a gm guy and working in the biz as long as I have the Ram is the way to go.

i didn't like the way it drove. Its performance was was below the ford and tundra big difference in the handling for me. The ford and tundra drove like cars , superior . Also don't like the look of it (the ram) at all.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Had 3 Dodge Diesels since 1997. Had the first 2500 for 10 years; then traded it in for a 2008 2500. Mistake- that was the first year with the new engine and they had not figured out the sooting problems; so traded it last year for a 3500. IF you don't go for a dually (hate them) the one ton is boss. Of course these are real trucks (have a hard time considering any half ton a real truck) and they are just different from the 1500. Meant to tow and haul big loads. Not a yuppie wagon. Which frankly is what a half ton is.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the other manufacturers, but the Ram also offers an air suspension option. It's WAY less bouncy than a normal truck and very nice.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I said I work in the industry. No I don't work at GM, and yes I prefer the new Ram Ecodiesel. Like I stated before I'm a GM guy have my 383 stroker pushing 500hp in my El Camino and my naturally aspirated Big Block in my Boat none of the engines have given me an issue. My truck is lifted 10 inches and has 35's on it I tow in the dead heat at 110-120 degrees from Ca to AZ with no issues. The issues with the tranny as stated above were from the fact that GM wanted to save money therefor having China build it's trannys unlike before when AT use to build them. I now have an AT in my truck have 2 plus the orginal tranny in my truck and again zero issues.

Ford has cleaned up it's act a bit over the last 12 years or so with the transmissions and the steel block/aluminum heads that use to blow head gaskets, why? Because they heat up and expand and different temps. Now I don't know much about the improvements from they made on the triton motors since around 2001ish but I hear pretty good things. What's frustrated me about Ford is it's not a "truck" anymore it's a 40k v6 luxury car and if you want more power spend 50-60k. I am disappointed in GM for the hard stance on the diesel motor in a 1500 and I applaud Ram/VM for being the guys to pull it off they've built an amazing product that is affordable IMO.

To the best of my knowledge Ford had a problem with head gaskets for a short time in the early years of the Triton. 1999-2000 ish. It was my understand that it was a machining of the block issue. They all leaked at the same spot. My 99 had the leak and I traded it on an 02 since the "fix" Ford had for it was getting mixed results and I keep my trucks for ten years or so. You won't get a Triton in a new Ford. You will get the 5.0 Coyote or the 3.5 Ecoboost among a couple other less popular options.

I don't know about the not a truck thing. The 5.0 blows the 5.4 Triton away in performance and economy and can be had in any trim package. The only non-truck aspect is the suspension. They do make it ride like a car. I have replaced the shocks on my last two trucks within the first 10k. Payload and tow capacity of my 2011 is more than my 02 was and the 02 was the heavy duty package having the 10.25" rear end, bigger shocks, expanded cooling system and built on the F250 frame.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BTW the Dart has had bad reviews since day one, but that has zero to do with the Ram. The Ecodiesel is by VM it is not a Chrysler product it's an Italian product and a very good one at that

Ah good point, forgot about that.

Yeah the Dart is the worst new vehicle (hell, it's the worst vehicle period) I've ever owned. And the refusal by Chrysler to cover all the things that have broken on this car has sealed the deal for me. No more Chrysler products ever.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

Yeah the Dart is the worst new vehicle (hell, it's the worst vehicle period) I've ever owned. And the refusal by Chrysler to cover all the things that have broken on this car has sealed the deal for me. No more Chrysler products ever.

Yeah what some of these companies do is just ridiculous

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score

Strangely enough, I've had good luck with my Dart. I've had no issues since I got it in March of 2013. My only complaint is the sluggish response off the line for the 1.4L turbo. There are 3rd parties out there that sell ECU chips that will fix that, but why should I need to pay $500ish for it? Meh.

Otherwise, I'm still very much a fan of the car.