2016 - New York Baseball (Yankees-Mets)

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
With how the season started, I'm amazed that the Yankees managed to stay alive in the wild card chase until the last three games of the season. After the trade haul at the deadline, things are looking a hell of a lot brighter than they did previously. With Sanchez, Castro, Gregorius, and a recovering Greg Bird, they have the makings of a very good, young infield with defensive capability. Hopefully, Judge gets healthy soon, and continues to improve, because the outfield is not looking as good for next year, but in 2018, with Clint Frazier likely to be ready to contribute as a starter, it will improve.

Betances probably needs to go back to being a setup guy, because he was shaky as a closer (right now, he's completely messed up as far as control is concerned). They need to get Severino to trust his changeup to get him back in the rotation. Bryan Mitchell looks like he can contribute at the back end of the rotation. They have one more season of Sabathia (who, all in all, did much better than expected) and Tanaka pitched very well. What to do with Pineda?

There's not much in the free agent market, unless you want to pay age (Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion, even Josh Reddick, who just turned 30). I wouldn't be surprised to see Cashman make some trades of some of the surplus reliever talent in the minors, as well as potentially trading Jorge Mateo in an effort to land another starting pitcher. I'm already looking forward to next year.

Man.... just missed it!

I didn't care about a playoff run. I just wanted the baby Baby Bombers to get a taste of post season even if only for one game.

Should have kept Miller. He would have won a few more games for us. But that sweep by Boston really put us in a tight position.

I hope Cubs beat Boston in World Series.

Or...

I'd laugh if Giants found a way to win title like the spurs seem to do every so many years lol

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I consider it a successful Yankees season.

One of the more satisfying in recent memory.

Got rid of some "dead wood"... Rebuilt the farm system... Will clear some salary.

All good. :)

Shunpike

Reaction score
So my fellow Cowboy and Yankee fans. When are we going back to glory days? :(

Plankton

Reaction score

2018 will be a good year. Sabathia and Rodriguez' contracts will be off the books. Youngsters will have some seasoning, the free agent market will be prime and the Yankees may finally end up under the threshold for luxury tax, making them more likely to spend.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Yankees will win another title before cowboys.

2018 will be a good year. Sabathia and Rodriguez' contracts will be off the books. Youngsters will have some seasoning, the free agent market will be prime and the Yankees may finally end up under the threshold for luxury tax, making them more likely to spend.

Steinbrenner will order Cashman to get a big time free agent. Our overpaying are not over.

Bryce?

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I could see them going after Cespedes. Cespedes loves New York and I could see the Yankees giving him 150 million dollar contract, something the Mets wont do. Of course I would vomit in my mouth having to watch him in Yankee pinstripes but the Mets wont go there wiht the contract.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I could see them going after Cespedes. Cespedes loves New York and I could see the Yankees giving him 150 million dollar contract, something the Mets wont do. Of course I would vomit in my mouth having to watch him in Yankee pinstripes but the Mets wont go there wiht the contract.

I hope they don't.

Let the Mets pick up his option or whatever that one year over priced deal was?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think the Yankees go big in free agency this year.

Next year after Arod's and CC's contract go away yeah.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I can't believe the Mets made the playoffs. Most of the starting pitching is gone with some fielders and still overcame :flagwave:

As much as I wanted Collins gone, he did a good job with what he had.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Give Terry Collins an extension. Seriously, he makes bone headed moves from time to time but the players love playing for him and he took a decimated and injured team without 3/5 of the rotation and without 4/5 of the infield and got them to the playoffs. The team should have folded in July but credit to Terry they did not. The guy deserves an extension and probably manager of the year consideration. But Joe Madden who did what he was supposed to do with a loaded team will get it just like last year.

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
I can't believe the Mets made the playoffs. Most of the starting pitching is gone with some fielders and still overcame :flagwave:

As much as I wanted Collins gone, he did a good job with what he had.

This year as been more rewarding than last year. I know a lot of people like to rail on Terry for his in game decisions, but the man has done an amazing job this year, with all of the injuries we have had. We lost 3/5 of our rotation. Almost our entire infield, cespesdes for a few weeks, and somehow kept this team together. .

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am going to make life easier on myself tomorrow night. I will put $200 on the Giants to win(ML). So, if the Mets win, I will lose the bet but be happy :)

If the Mets lose, at least I make some cash :laugh:

I really hate that a 162-game season comes down to one stinking game, at least make it a 3-game series.........

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I consider it a successful Yankees season.

One of the more satisfying in recent memory.

Got rid of some "dead wood"... Rebuilt the farm system... Will clear some salary.

All good. :)

I was once a Yankees' fan. I switched to Boston in 1960.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I am going to make life easier on myself tomorrow night. I will put $200 on the Giants to win(ML). So, if the Mets win, I will lose the bet but be happy :)

If the Mets lose, at least I make some cash :laugh:

I really hate that a 162-game season comes down to one stinking game, at least make it a 3-game series.........

Lol

Super Bowl XXX ... i bet $500 but as the game wore on and it looked like we might lose. I said, I don't care about the money any more... just win. People around me that weren't going for the cowboys were like, dammm that's $500?

I said, I can make $500 again... I can't get this Super Bowl back

Anyway, without one game wildcard, your mets would be home with Yankees.

I think they win tonight.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lol

Super Bowl XXX ... i bet $500 but as the game wore on and it looked like we might lose. I said, I don't care about the money any more... just win. People around me that weren't going for the cowboys were like, dammm that's $500?

I said, I can make $500 again... I can't get this Super Bowl back

Anyway, without one game wildcard, your mets would be home with Yankees.

I think they win tonight.

Mets would have taken the WC if it were only one team still. They clinched the #1 spot last Saturday and had the tiebreaker over SF.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Your point doesn't remain.....the Mets would be in a normal playoff series and not at home if there was only one team who made the wildcard :D

There has to be two sheety teams in order to have this sudden death wildcard.

Besides if the Mets played with themselves they would probably lose. Lmao.

Point remains. :)