2016 - New York Baseball (Yankees-Mets)

Plankton

Reaction score
Wow BOTH NY teams 2.5 games out of a playoff spot...

Whouda thunk that after the Yankees gutted their roster.

The youngsters have definitely given an infusion of energy to the team.

Sanchez has been other worldly at this point - his hitting, and how about that throwing arm? Luis Cessa and Chad Green have both been pretty good in the rotation, and Ronald Torreyes has been hot as a pistol at the plate, and given them very good production at third base.

Aaron Judge has really cooled off, though. He needs to figure out how to cover the strike zone better, because he's a K machine right now.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The youngsters have definitely given an infusion of energy to the team.

Sanchez has been other worldly at this point - his hitting, and how about that throwing arm? Luis Cessa and Chad Green have both been pretty good in the rotation, and Ronald Torreyes has been hot as a pistol at the plate, and given them very good production at third base.

Aaron Judge has really cooled off, though. He needs to figure out how to cover the strike zone better, because he's a K machine right now.

I see the same with guys like Gallo of Texas and Reed of Houston.

Once the "book" is out on these AAA sluggers, typically they have a very difficult time adjusting to the breaking ball of major league pitchers as opposed to those at AAA.

They have to adjust.

Plankton

Reaction score

Once the "book" is out on these AAA sluggers, typically they have a very difficult time adjusting to the breaking ball of major league pitchers as opposed to those at AAA.

They have to adjust.

For Judge, it's even harder because he's 6'7". Thats a lot of strike zone to cover.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

They have to adjust.

Damn.

MW = consistent wet blanket

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dam. Dam. Lol

All that's good this season is the baby bombers.

Sooooo.... 3.5 out of wild card.... Or do you have wet blanket for that too?

Hey I've enjoyed the last month more so than any month in the last several years...

They have a chance at the WC for sure... There are just better teams ahead of them.

BUT for me the goodness of this season isn't about making the playoffs. It's the getting rid of some of the dead wood and being able to know the minor leagues are again filled with talent.

I have the same mindset for the Cowboys. For me it's always long-term. I'll take a loser of the season now if I have too in order to have 3, 4 seasons of winning.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Hey I've enjoyed the last month more so than any month in the last several years...

They have a chance at the WC for sure... There are just better teams ahead of them.

BUT for me the goodness of this season isn't about making the playoffs. It's the getting rid of some of the dead wood and being able to know the minor leagues are again filled with talent.

I have the same mindset for the Cowboys. For me it's always long-term. I'll take a loser of the season now if I have too in order to have 3, 4 seasons of winning.

Agreed.

Agreed. Not so sure those teams are that much better. They have only mantained the lead.

Agree.... But getting these kids in a post game... Even if only one.... Would be BIG!

Agreed if the above doesn't happen!

Plankton

Reaction score
@MichaelWinicki
@Plankton
@bkight13

31 games remaining...

23 games of those games vs teams in front of the Yankees.

"ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW"?

They have done a good job of scrapping to keep themselves in the race. It also has helped that Seattle and Baltimore have had major pitching issues. It would be great to see them get into the playoffs, but I'm not counting on it. Like Mike said earlier, I'm OK with a down season if it results in sustained success afterward.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
They have done a good job of scrapping to keep themselves in the race. It also has helped that Seattle and Baltimore have had major pitching issues. It would be great to see them get into the playoffs, but I'm not counting on it. Like Mike said earlier, I'm OK with a down season if it results in sustained success afterward.

I wouldn't call winning most of their games "scrapping" ... But ok...

Baltimore and Toronto and Boston have had their warts ALLL YEARRR LONGGGG... That's how being a prior .500 team allowed us to stay close. None of that is new with teams in front of us,

We are about to leap frog Baltimore.

Plankton

Reaction score
I wouldn't call winning most of their games "scrapping" ... But ok...

Baltimore and Toronto and Boston have had their warts ALLL YEARRR LONGGGG... That's how being a prior .500 team allowed us to stay close. None of that is new with teams in front of us,

We are about to leap frog Baltimore.

The Yankees are 27th in the league in average innings pitched by their starters. They are 21st in runs scored, 20th in team batting average, and 25th in OPS. The numbers have improved a bit over the last month, but they are the very definition of scrapping their way to wins.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
The Yankees are 27th in the league in average innings pitched by their starters. They are 21st in runs scored, 20th in team batting average, and 25th in OPS. The numbers have improved a bit over the last month, but they are the very definition of scrapping their way to wins.

Questions:

The teams in front of us... Are they so much better average inning pitched?

Since the baby bombers arrived ate the Yankees 21st in runs scored?

Are the baby bombers 20th in team batting average?

Are the BB 25th in OPS?

Is it accurate to say they have ONLY improvised "a bit"?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Enjoyed watching the Red Sox end the Yankees season this weekend.

Doesn't get much better than sweeping a 4 game series from the Yanks.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Enjoyed watching the Red Sox end the Yankees season this weekend.

Doesn't get much better than sweeping a 4 game series from the Yanks.

That's not nice.

Lol

I would like to see Chicago beat the Mets.

Then Chicago breaks curse vs the other formerly cursed team. Lol

Shunpike

Reaction score
I thought it would be a good idea to discuss New York teams under this thread so that we can keep friendly banters under one roof.

Yankees lost season opener 5-3 to Astros. Tanaka looked good.

Mets are 0-0 at the moment, bottom of the 2nd.

Season predictions

Yankees - 85 wins
Mets - 91 wins
4 games left for Yankees and they have 82 wins. If they win 3 out of 4, I will guess their win totals right.

Mets have 85 wins and they only have 3 games left. So I will miss their win total by 3 to 6 games. Yankees missed the playoffs and Mets have a 2.5 games advantage to play the Wild Card game. Should be a good 3-4 days for baseball.

Plankton

Reaction score
With how the season started, I'm amazed that the Yankees managed to stay alive in the wild card chase until the last three games of the season. After the trade haul at the deadline, things are looking a hell of a lot brighter than they did previously. With Sanchez, Castro, Gregorius, and a recovering Greg Bird, they have the makings of a very good, young infield with defensive capability. Hopefully, Judge gets healthy soon, and continues to improve, because the outfield is not looking as good for next year, but in 2018, with Clint Frazier likely to be ready to contribute as a starter, it will improve.

Betances probably needs to go back to being a setup guy, because he was shaky as a closer (right now, he's completely messed up as far as control is concerned). They need to get Severino to trust his changeup to get him back in the rotation. Bryan Mitchell looks like he can contribute at the back end of the rotation. They have one more season of Sabathia (who, all in all, did much better than expected) and Tanaka pitched very well. What to do with Pineda?

There's not much in the free agent market, unless you want to pay age (Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion, even Josh Reddick, who just turned 30). I wouldn't be surprised to see Cashman make some trades of some of the surplus reliever talent in the minors, as well as potentially trading Jorge Mateo in an effort to land another starting pitcher. I'm already looking forward to next year.