2017 NBA Finals: Warriors vs Cavalier

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
People are upset kd went to the gsw but fail to realize he did it because there's no other way to win now a days. Lebron is partially to blame for this for teaming up with wade and bosh.. The era of two superstars or a superstar and a sidekick are over.

By the way kd wouldn't of won in okc. Westbrook gets out of control at the end of games way too often, just jacking up shots. I don't blame kd to be honest.

Loading no up teams with superstars guarantees nothing.

Golden State was two dumb, dumb mistakes from beating Cavs in two straight finals last year without Durant.

I think they would have threepeated. Without Durant!

73-9/Championship to beat Bulls was thwarted by dummies.

Can you name the two dummies?

ghst187

Reaction score
I'm not talking about the okc team that had Harden, obviously that team could of been special. Its a damn shame like you said. However I think he made the smart move to leave okc. There's no guarantee they get past the Spurs or Grizzles to begin with, and those teams are getting better...then you have golden state and the Cavs in the finals. It's just too much uncertainty. KD made the right decision at the end of the day.

I disagree with some parts. The league favors the big market teams and had Harden not demanded max salary, he and KD probably would've gotten one in OKC by now. I get why KD left but just seems like the coward's route to a ring. OKC actually was still building a very good team around him the time he leaves. I think it will be hysterical if KD goes into his choke routine and Lebron beats him again. If he was going to be a coward he should've gone all the way and just joined Lebron in Cleveland. No matter if and when KD does finally win a ring, few will remember him since he was surrounded by a team that could and had won without him.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I disagree with some parts. The league favors the big market teams and had Harden not demanded max salary, he and KD probably would've gotten one in OKC by now. I get why KD left but just seems like the coward's route to a ring. OKC actually was still building a very good team around him the time he leaves. I think it will be hysterical if KD goes into his choke routine and Lebron beats him again. If he was going to be a coward he should've gone all the way and just joined Lebron in Cleveland. No matter if and when KD does finally win a ring, few will remember him since he was surrounded by a team that could and had won without him.
If he wins people will start the KD is the best player in the world, just watch. People are so in the moment it's ridiculous. Lebron is being talked about as potentially the goat but he didn't win with that trash in Cleveland either, he had to join the heat with Riley and wade and when he went back to Cleveland he had the Avengers assembled.

The fact is at the end of the day people remember winners. And if you win with one team and never jump ship you are forever immortalized with that fan base. Look at Jordan and Kobe..one team through thick and thin.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Goes back to timing.
If OKC had Harden hit FA when the salary cap was rising like crazy they'd have signed him to a max.
OKC essentially chose Ibaka over Harden.
They had Russ and KD so wanted a big.

A lot is made of OKC decision-making (and fairly so) but one could say Harden made the real mistake.
In the 5 years since he left he's basically been All Pro level so he proved himself 100000% BUT Harden was in 37 playoff games his final two years in OKC.
There's no doubt even as his solo play took off to 1st team ALL-NBA level he went to a far lesser team.
Harden was one of the very few guys that left championship potential situations to go elsewhere with far less talent.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If he wins people will start the KD is the best player in the world, just watch. People are so in the moment it's ridiculous. Lebron is being talked about as potentially the goat but he didn't win with that trash in Cleveland either, he had to join the heat with Riley and wade and when he went back to Cleveland he had the Avengers assembled.

The fact is at the end of the day people remember winners. And if you win with one team and never jump ship you are forever immortalized with that fan base. Look at Jordan and Kobe..one team through thick and thin.
Various:
100% agree with the winner comment.
But some of the rest deserves attention.

MJ played with Washington and also detoured into baseball. During his detour into baseball Chicago was a high level playoff team.
MJ lost plenty early on including being swept TWICE in playoff series. NO player plays or wins alone.
But I'd still say MJ is the best. He pretty much introduced a different level of year round skill work and athletic develoment to the game and especially his team.
He pretty much invented Kobe and LeBron.

Kobe put in MJ level work and had the closest ML level skillset but he never won without A LOT of talent around him.
Kobe also decided to force max salaries on the Lakers knowing he was crippling that franchise and his own chance to win anything his finals couple of seasons.
He chose money over winning so no one can ever sell him to me as the very best.
But he might the guy I'd most want to be (minus whatever happened in a Denver hotel room).

LeBron dragged that CLE team he was drafted to from worst in the league to a deep playoffs team. With basically no help.
He had the good sense to leave and cement his legacy by winning. --see your last point.
LeBron has now been to 7 straight NBA Finals. That's simply insane.

KD is a heck of a skilled player (and still one of my faves) but this playoff run has been aided by him doing next to nothing(by star standards) this NBA season. Missed tons of games and never had to carry that team. They had a marvelous win percentage with him out. So no, I don't think anyone can call KD the best anything. He'd definitely lose any 1v1 match up versus LeBron if they had similar casts around them.

End of the day IMHO no one outside OKC should fault KD for choosing to win with things basically equal financially.
It's the league's fault not his that he was put in that position to make the decision he did.
The league and players association need to fix the issues with finances and roster mgmt.
The NBA is a game where is about your top 3-5 guys 99% of the time so money tied up in that top 3-4 players should be limited in some way even with Bird rights.
IMHO a team more than 15M over the cap should have to forfeit Bird's rights unless used solely for trade purposes.
The last thing the players association should focus on is higher salaries for it's top 20 players. Those guys have massive endorsement deals and will be rich forever.
It's the guys 6-10 on rosters who are getting murdered by the new salary structures.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I grew up and lived through the Jordan era from the beginning. For most people in my age range, there will never be a better player.

That said, I've never understood the incessant hate toward LeBron. I get that he was a jackwad for doing the "decision" and that he's a world-class flopper. But in terms of simply basketball prowess, he's easily IMO the greatest and most dominant player (non-centers) that I can remember. I'd take LeBron over Kobe any day, and I like Kobe.

ghst187

Reaction score
Contrats to KD on leading the western conference all star team to win the finals. In other news...in a similar vein the globetrotters beat the overmatched Washington Generals again...

After coming up short several times, KD joins the west all stars
Wonder how MJ would be remembered had he left Chicago and gone to Detroit after losing to them in the playoffs several times...

Reaction score
Well, Kevin made the right decision in leaving to get his ring, props to him and he played a great Finals and deserved Most Valuable Player award, congratulations to the Warriors

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Contrats to KD on leading the western conference all star team to win the finals. In other news...in a similar vein the globetrotters beat the overmatched Washington Generals again...

After coming up short several times, KD joins the west all stars
Wonder how MJ would be remembered had he left Chicago and gone to Detroit after losing to them in the playoffs several times...

He couldn't have, he was under contract and wasn't a FA.

Question should be asked if LeBron who left the Cavs the first time to make a super team with Wade and Bosh in Miami. It should be asked of LaMarcus Aldridge who joined the Spurs the year after they beat him and his former team (Blazers) on the way to their Title in 2014.

Free agents leave to put themselves in better positions to win; that's been happening since the advent of free agency.

Last edited:

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
yeah the league is beyond terrible right now. Get rid of the 3 point line, place a hard cap, and get rid of max contracts limits.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I do not have an issue with KD going to GS. It is not any different than Deion Sanders joining the Cowboys. Free Agency is part of the game so it should not surprise anyone when teams and or players use it to their advantage.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I grew up and lived through the Jordan era from the beginning. For most people in my age range, there will never be a better player.

That said, I've never understood the incessant hate toward LeBron. I get that he was a jackwad for doing the "decision" and that he's a world-class flopper. But in terms of simply basketball prowess, he's easily IMO the greatest and most dominant player (non-centers) that I can remember. I'd take LeBron over Kobe any day, and I like Kobe.

I am a big Laker fan, and I take Lebron over Kobe only because Kobe was fighting injuries the last part of his career. Lebron has never had a big inury (I can think of). So he has been one of the few NBA superstars to not have dealt with an injury of any kind. If Kobe had health like Lebron, I myself take Kobe.

khiladi

Reaction score
Pippen's fifty win team had Kukoc and Kerr and added Longley, with Grant, meaning a solidified championship roster. The very next year, they added Harper and were playing fifty-fifty ball, were on the verge of not making the playoffs, with Pippen as the lead whose season numbers were pretty much right they were at during the Jordan years (meaning they didn't add any significant jump) and their deterioration was setting in, until Jordan came in and they rolled off a 14-3 record going into the playoffs with the fifth seed and was competing against Orlando. They has also lost Grant in the off-season so Pippen didn't get to start that year with him.

Lebron's 2007 team had the second best rebounding team in the East, with a front court that held Tim DUnacn to his worst shooting percentage at that point in Finals and they also beat a Detroit team that no longer had Larry Brown, started abandoning man for more zone defense and no more Ben Wallace.

Orlando with Dwight in his prime also took his team to the Finals, beating Lebron's team and had just as much 'help' and a franchise that has imploded every since he left. Cleveland then went to get Shaq as an additional presence with Ilgauskas to counter Dwight, but so happen to lose in the playoffs against the Celtics. Allen Iverson also took his team to a Finals without any help in that same East.

Last edited: