2017 NFL Combine

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
lol @ "know the draft"

Just cause you run a fake draft on a fan forum doesn't mean you "know the draft" any better than I do, chief.
If BPA doesn't meant best player available then people should stop saying it. Stop the corny catchphrases

tm1119

Reaction score
If BPA doesn't meant best player available then people should stop saying it. Stop the corny catchphrases

Teams rank players in groups by where they want to draft that player. There is no long list of every single player ranked in exact order. That's just a ridiculous notion. If we have 2 1st round grades left when we pick and 1 is a RB and the other is defensive player it's just common sense who we are taking. Really not that hard of a concept...

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Teams rank players in groups by where they want to draft that player. There is no long list of every single player ranked in exact order. That's just a ridiculous notion. If we have 2 1st round grades left when we pick and 1 is a RB and the other is defensive player it's just common sense who we are taking. Really not that hard of a concept...
That's your opinion. Teams may go off of a number system and not just (1st, 2nd, 3rd rounder). If the rb is a 87 and the de is an 83 then no I do not know who they will select. But what I do know is that the rb would be the BPA.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol @ "know the draft"

Just cause you run a fake draft on a fan forum doesn't mean you "know the draft" any better than I do, chief.

I guarantee you don't know what BPA means. You've proven it with your myopic quote here.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And here's one that does know what it means.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's your opinion. Teams may go off of a number system and not just (1st, 2nd, 3rd rounder). If the rb is a 87 and the de is an 83 then no I do not know who they will select. But what I do know is that the rb would be the BPA.

That's not his opinion anymore than his opinion is the sun will be out tomorrow.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The simple minded think BPA means hey, we're on the clock? Let's take the guy at the top of our board. We're on the clock again? Grab that top guy again. Rinse, repeat. This is easy.

As if the hundreds of players in the draft all have their own distinct grade.

Nonsense. Need comes into play far more than it doesn't but in those instances where you do have just one player at the top and not a cluster of similarly rated players, you take that guy. That's BPA.

TheCount would be laughed out of any war room talking that nonsense.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
The simple minded think BPA means hey, we're on the clock? Let's take the guy at the top of our board. We're on the clock again? Grab that top guy again. Rinse, repeat. This is easy.

Nonsense. Need comes into play far more than it doesn't but in those instances where you do have just one player at the top and not a cluster of similarly rated players, you take that guy. That's BPA.

You're too full of yourself to realize that we agree :facepalm:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Not exactly true.

Much of the time there's a player that has a far higher grade than the rest because that player hasn't been drafted and the scouts of a team really value that player.

For instance, I believe we had Anthony Brown as a 3rd round grade and we were surprised that he was still on the board in the 6th round. Or Sean Lee we had a mid-1st round grade and he was available in the 2nd. We weren't filling needs with either player at the time, but their grades were substantially better than the rest of the players.

And that's what you see with almost every team that goes BPA in the draft...if you do enough digging they'll come out and say what grade they had on a player and it's almost always substantially higher than where they drafted the player.
We won't go BPA in the first 2 rounds if the player is a QB, RB or can only play center. But other than that, we'll likely go BPA and need means very little unless you get into a situation where it's a 'tie' in grades. And when that is actually more likely to happen is in the later rounds when teams may value special teams players.

YR